What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge wrap on Parramatta Eels' 17-year-old Bevan French

lingard

Coach
Nathan told me that he (Nathan) came to Sydney weighing 60kgs...and had never been in a gym. But he was determined to make 'it'. He made huge sacrifices to come to Sydney, but his determination paid off. French does sound like an Albert Kelly prodigious type player, but the fact that he is going to do a Uni course as well as his football, suggests to me the Eels will be keeping a fairly close eye on him.
No doubt, "Tinga" will be in contact with him also checking on his progress - as will Preston Campbell.
These blokes are no mugs. They know the opportunity that is there for the young bloke if he can handle the pressure of living in the City.
Tinga also told me that when he first came to the Big Smoke, he and another Tinga boy, PJ Ellis, were told the Roosters had lined up accommodation for them. The accommodation was at a Backpacker Hostel where he and PJ were the only two in the joint who could speak and understand English.
He said he received a letter from his dad once a week encouraging to 'do his best'. That sort of parental encouragement made a huge difference to how Nathan adapted to living in the City.
He said he used to get up at 4am every morning to go to work, catching a bus, a train, and a bus to get there, and when he knocked off, went to the Gym EVERY DAY to work on weights, and it got to the stage where he could 'pump iron' with the best of them.
Nathan said that he kept all his dad's letters, and gets them out to read when he needs inspiration.
His father passed away just a week after seeing Nathan play for Australia.
As I said, if Nathan Blacklock has anything to do with this kids development as a person, and as a player, the Eels have got themselves a player who will achieve lofty heights with the skills he possesses.

Thanks for that, Pete.

eelinfo

Juniors
Should be interesting to see him in action. Just keep him away from sandow, not a good influence. And more importantly keep him away from Hillsong we don't need anymore players brainwashed.

I hope he has made SofO by May.

Anyway, he's got a great name, and if he at least wants to do a degree at Uni I reckon that's at least a sign that he might have his head screwed on a bit tighter than some.

Eels Dude

Coach
Heh, but he actually looks on the shorter to average side, which isn't as exciting as if he was gangly and tall. At 17 I guess you never know, he could shoot up.
I feel if he is short all he can hope to be is like barba, or a half.

It's handy that he can play fullback or in the halves then... because they are both very important positions. Were you expecting him to be a potential front rower or something? Just because he doesn't have the build of Greg Inglis doesn't mean he can't be a good player.

Last edited:

Tone83

Juniors
It's handy that he can play fullback or in the halves then... because they are both very important positions. Were you expecting him to be a potential front rower or something? Just because he doesn't have the build of Greg Inglis doesn't mean he can't be a good player.
I know but I feel in the modern game, and more and more into the future, the small fullback will be found out. So I just think they should start grooming him for 5/8 now if he's looking like he'll turn out small (which I'm not even sure of yet, but those close to him should have a good idea).

Barba and Bowen are/were great, but Bowen should have been turned into a 5/8 a while back, and Barba should be too (although I'm not sure if barba even has the attributes, but bowen definitely did - an amazing kicking game that was never really utilised).

parra pete

Referee
Thanks for that, Pete.

Nathan Blacklock is one of the most impressive sporting identity that I have had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing.
What you see is what you get..No ego, just down to earth, from the heart - telling it how it is.

Eels Dude

Coach
I know but I feel in the modern game, and more and more into the future, the small fullback will be found out. So I just think they should start grooming him for 5/8 now if he's looking like he'll turn out small (which I'm not even sure of yet, but those close to him should have a good idea).

Barba and Bowen are/were great, but Bowen should have been turned into a 5/8 a while back, and Barba should be too (although I'm not sure if barba even has the attributes, but bowen definitely did - an amazing kicking game that was never really utilised).

I don't know if I agree with that. In fact I think it's in some ways the opposite. From what I recall Barba WAS being groomed as a 5'8th/half, but he simply wasn't big enough to play in that position in first grade as he got steam-rolled in defence. He was too talented to keep out of the side though so was moved to fullback.

I don't think you need a fullback who is tall, if they are athletic enough so they can jump, have good hands, and are quick off the mark they can make up for it.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Brett Stewart
Ben barba
Matt Bowen
Billy slater
Matt moylan
Kevin Locke
Daris Boyd
Anthony min.....
Michael Gordon

Are all pretty small players - and no where near inglis / Hayne in size .

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Nathan Blacklock is one of the most impressive sporting identity that I have had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing.
What you see is what you get..No ego, just down to earth, from the heart - telling it how it is.

The guy didn't mind a drink either and never got into the right "mind set" while at the roosters. In addition the end of his career wasnt that impressive for a number of reasons.

He may be a good bloke now, but he was no angel during his playing days

Tone83

Juniors
Brett Stewart
Ben barba
Matt Bowen
Billy slater
Matt moylan
Kevin Locke
Daris Boyd
Anthony min.....
Michael Gordon

Are all pretty small players - and no where near inglis / Hayne in size .
Exactly.

Although I would argue that Stewart, Barba, bowen and slater were still ok players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The only ones I would call small are Barba and Bowen. Maybe Slater and Locke. The rest are all average sized, for backs.

parra pete

Referee
The guy didn't mind a drink either and never got into the right "mind set" while at the roosters. In addition the end of his career wasnt that impressive for a number of reasons.

He may be a good bloke now, but he was no angel during his playing days

He made his name as a player with St George/Illawarra and not when he was at the Roosters, playing lower grades....
BTW....Who doesn't mind a drink????? I take blokes as I find them and he is one of the most inspirational bloke that I have met. HUmble, friendly and an outstanding ambassador for his race and SPORT. I say sport, rather than League, because Tinga says he doesn't follow the NRL due to its 'predictability'. He hates players being 'robotised' by coaches..he prefers playing on instinct. I agree with him btw. The players today are highly skilled, higher than ever before. BUT every attacking set of six seems to go the same ruck it for five and kick into the ingoal on the sixth...BORING, BORING...Zzzzzzzz.
AND I can't remember him EVER getting into trouble because of alcohol. EVER.
He played for Australia, and overseas in ESL before switching and playing Super Rugby with Waratahs....That's a pretty impressive 'end of career'...AND he donated a huge sum of money to the Tinga community so it could purchase a bus to transport kids to the Pool in Inverell.
A CHAMPION...

magpie4ever

First Grade
He made his name as a player with St George/Illawarra and not when he was at the Roosters, playing lower grades....
BTW....Who doesn't mind a drink????? I take blokes as I find them and he is one of the most inspirational bloke that I have met. HUmble, friendly and an outstanding ambassador for his race and SPORT. I say sport, rather than League, because Tinga says he doesn't follow the NRL due to its 'predictability'. He hates players being 'robotised' by coaches..he prefers playing on instinct. I agree with him btw. The players today are highly skilled, higher than ever before. BUT every attacking set of six seems to go the same ruck it for five and kick into the ingoal on the sixth...BORING, BORING...Zzzzzzzz.
AND I can't remember him EVER getting into trouble because of alcohol. EVER.
He played for Australia, and overseas in ESL before switching and playing Super Rugby with Waratahs....That's a pretty impressive 'end of career'...AND he donated a huge sum of money to the Tinga community so it could purchase a bus to transport kids to the Pool in Inverell.
A CHAMPION...

Full credit to Nathan.

parra pete

Referee
Works with Aboriginal people to get them employment, and to get pointed in the right direction. He represents his people at events like NAIDOC week, visiting schools etc.
He is a regular visitor to gaols and institutions to visit inmates, and mentor them in life. As I have posted - a humble man, from humble beginnings who has grown into an inspirational speaker and role model.
I met him in 2013 when he visited our town as the GUEST SPEAKER at our Sportsperson of the Year Award. I was the MC for the night, and when Nathan spoke, you could have heard a pin drop. We had a crowd of over 200, and in my time as MC of the Annual event - about 30 years - he was probably the best received speaker we have had. AND we have had Greg Brentnal, Dermott Brereton, Peter Daicos, Tommy Hafey, Frank Hyde, Johnny Peard, Les Boyd, Rodney Hogg, Doug Walters, Dean Jones, Brett Goldspink, Ray Bright, Peter Fitzsimons, Doug Hawkins, Andrew Cooper (Oarsome Foursome) amongst others as our guests...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
"Hey kids, make sure you stay in school because you might be a professional athlete one day!"

"What was that? What do you do if you don't make it in sports? You're asking the wrong bloke."

#inspirational