What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Head coaches who have been fired

abpanther

Staff member
Yeah I don't get the Jay Gruden love, but it's a classic Snyder hire, he was just looking for a big name guy and while Jay has proven little, he has the surname

shiznit

Coach
What's up with Jon Gruden these days??

Is he now just a ESPN analyst?

I always hoped he would come back to the Raiders... :lol:

Always thought he was a great fit with his WCO...

Raider_69

Post Whore
Gruden (of the Jon variety) is getting paid OBSCENE amounts of money to do all the things he loves, watch football, pump up offensive weapons, dissect plays, evaluate the draft, comment on the draft, break down it's QBs and have absolutely NO responsibility or pressure to actually win a super bowl

i not sure Gruden will coach again, i recon he'll just morph into this generations John Madden.
And i dont blame him either

shiznit

Coach
Gruden (of the Jon variety) is getting paid OBSCENE amounts of money to do all the things he loves, watch football, pump up offensive weapons, dissect plays, evaluate the draft, comment on the draft, break down it's QBs and have absolutely NO responsibility or pressure to actually win a super bowl

i not sure Gruden will coach again, i recon he'll just morph into this generations John Madden.
And i dont blame him either
This is part of an interview He did in September...

From: http://www.silverandblackpride.com/...g-olson-jamarcus-russell-sebastian-janikowski

On whether he will coach again:

"I do get the itch a lot. I miss it tremendously. There are some things I don't miss at all. There are things I don't understand like what a CBA is exactly, what an illegal hit is, I don't know if Tatum and Atkinson could survive in today's game. But I do have an ambition to coach some day."

On being a Raider at heart

"I grew up with the Raiders. Even though my dad didn't coach for the Raiders, I grew up a Raider fan and yes, absolutely I consider myself a Raider. You should see my house. I got a nice little room where you would think I'm still with the Raiders. A Raider room. I got a lot of old memorabilia. When I first got the head coaching job, I had a dinner set up with the Legends. So, I go out, I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but I'm there and Jack Tatum, George Atkinson, there's Clarence Davis, Ben Davidson, Daryl Lamonica, Marv Hubbard, Jim Plunkett walks in. Fred Billetnikoff and Willie Brown are on my staff and I said ‘No wonder Madden won a lot of games with these guys'. I got chills on the sideline, I got excited being down there on the field with those guys. I got stronger, I got more confident being around them and I enjoyed working for Al Davis. I like the mystique of the Raiders and I like being a part of it."

I don't blame him for never coming back... But goddamn he would lift the fans if they managed to get him.

It's funny.. I saw a Raiders fan on a forum who was certain that if the Raiders signed Gruden and gave him a gun slinger to run his WCO like a Drew Brees that would take them back to the play offs...

I think it's wishful thinking... I think the Rich Gannon gun slinging days are long over... As much as I loved them...

Last edited:

Raider_69

Post Whore
I think Mike McCoy is more of what is going on in SD than Wisenhunt
he'll be missed but i think the Chargers struck some gold with McCoy, that chargers team is lacking in talent.

You give him 2 more years to accure some more defensive talent and another wideout oppoiste Allen, and you'll have a contending chargers team again

Raider_69

Post Whore
yeah im not really sure, he was one of the my front runners for the philly job last year if they wanted to go defense but it seems no one wants to give him a run

he should get the detroit job, but im not even sure if they've spoken to him

Raider_69

Post Whore
througherly unenthused by the jim caldwell-detroit hire

i was really hoping detroit would get a top line coach and become a genuine contender. Not sure Caldwell is the man for that job

Dogs Of War

Coach
I read he was the front runner for the Vikings job

Yet they haven't hired him yet. So reading between the lines, it suggests they have a candidate at one of the clubs still in the playoffs who they want more than Zimmer. Greg Roman is the name that pops up on the forums I have read.

Shorty

Staff member
So who is left looking for coaches now?
Cleveland is an interesting one - I can see why they did it but.....who's going to go to Cleveland with it's crappy weather, awful front office and losing record??
Ironically the Browns have a lot of potential to become decent.
Man I'd hate to be a fan of that team though, cruel.

shiznit

Coach
I see the Browns job is the only job left...

I think that job could lead to something very special if it goes to the right coach and the owners give them time to build.

2 first, 2 second & 2 third round draft picks this year.

There is a massive chance that in this draft they could end up with they're franchise QB in Bridgewater, Manziel or Bortles.

Not to mention a heap of salary cap space to spend on free agents... So theoretically they could grab a guy like Manziel and bench him... And bring in a veteran QB from free agency to run the show until he's ready.

They just need the right coach...