What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian F1 Grand Prix

Chip Bayless

Juniors
So hard to predict in the first race of the season, we will know more in qualifying. Until proven otherwise, Vettel is the favourite until we know more as to where the teams are at after the off-season.

The big four will be amongst it in Red Bull, McClaren, Ferrari and Mercedes. The latter I am most interested in given Schumacher topped the times. How I'd love to see him fighting for a championship again in what may be his final year in the sport! Schumacher in a competitive car makes this sport ten times more entertaining. I'd love the old bull to take it right up to the Seb Vettel. It would be a fascinating story to follow.

Loved what I saw from Ricciardo in the Torro Ross in P1. This is our next Australian World Champion. I see him getting on the podium in 2012 and he has the talent to do what Seb Vettel did in the Torro Rosso: win a race!

Love Formula One! Look forward to discussing with fellow fans in 2012!

I am a Red Bull Racing fan and support both teams. I've been there for the Stewart and Jaguar versions of our teams. Before switching to the new Stewart team I was a fan of McClaren who drew me to the sport as a youngster (like many who saw the brilliance of Senna!).

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Red Bull struggled though I am not concerned given it's only round one. RBR struggling makes things a little interesting. See Ricciardo make the Top 10 Shootout was sensational! What a great start to his season in out qualifying his team mate as well starting 10th on the grid.

McClaren look strong, as do Mercedes. Button will be hard to beat here this afternoon in my opinion. I sincerely hope Michael Schumacher can get a podium. This would be his first since his return to the sport. At worst, I am confident he can challenge for races wins and more podiums again with a competitive car underneath him.

This should be a great race. Don't write off RBR just yet ;-)

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
Its good to see a few other teams step up, Mercedes and Lotus, I was impressed with Romain Grosjean the kid showed good pace in Lotus, also Ricciardo what a great start to his career.

Yeah I agree Chip don't ride off RBR, I think Vettel will still be a big chance of winning today, not so sure about Webber though.

Ferrari have been disappointing this weekend, not sure why they still have Massa, he looks like he has lost it, I wonder who they will replace him with next year if not sooner, Webber maybe.

What time does the race actually start today, I have to watch the Raiders/Roosters game first.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
The race coverage starts at 5:00pm mate.

Romain Grosjean is currently in his second stint as a Formula One driver. He has driven for Renault in 2009 with limited success. I too was really impressed by his drive in Q3. What a result! He embarrassed a former World Champion who was really disappointing.

There are no excuses for Ferrari. For such a big team, how they have remained in the doldrums for the past few years is inexcusable. Massa IMO isn't the same driver since returning from his accident and is definitely on borrowed time (though I am sure he resigned last season surprisingly).

RBR will be competing in this race. I think they will have race pace which will position them well for a shot at victory. Time will tell. It's going to be an exciting opener!

James-Stewart

Juniors
I went in 2009. If you really want to enjoy it you need grand stand tickets, only problem is that you can only purchase grand stand tickets for all 3 days and not just the day of the GP!

man2iel_

Juniors
I can see this is an OLD thread but I will bump it up.

I am heading down to Melbourne for the 2014 Australian Grand Prix. I follow drivers as opposed to teams and I have long been a Daniel Ricciardo fan following his career in the younger Formulas. Of course, like any Aussie motor sport fan, I followed Mark Webber too.

I cannot wait to see Ricciardo in the Red Bull R10 and despite their poor testing, I still think they will be a force albeit perhaps no where near as dominant as they have been.

some11

Referee
I feel bad for Dan, gets a crack in a top team and they've bottled it with the engine package.

I just started watching F1 last year and picked Raikonnen and Alonso as my favourite drivers, so going for Ferrari this year.

Parra

Referee
Looking forward to the season. If Red Bull doesn't dominate it will be a good thing. Could be bad luck for Ricciardo, but he is still in a top flight team in F1. The only step up is the world championship.

Parra

Referee
And general admission is well worth it at the aussie GP. Plenty of good vantage points and you can move around to see different aspects - braking points, mid corner, high speed etc

Storm13

Juniors
Hoping for the revival of WilliamsF1, be good to see their pre season form carry over to some podiums at least.

man2iel_

Juniors
And general admission is well worth it at the aussie GP. Plenty of good vantage points and you can move around to see different aspects - braking points, mid corner, high speed etc

Good to know. I went GA for this reason as I reasoned that sitting in a stand is somewhat limiting my experience.

man2iel_

Juniors
Hoping for the revival of WilliamsF1, be good to see their pre season form carry over to some podiums at least.

I'd hope Sir Frank can find some success again in F1. When Williams were a dominant team, F1 was at it's best in my opinion.

Storm13

Juniors
Love the Martini livery on the new car and would laugh to see Massa finish ahead of Alonso this year.

man2iel_

Juniors
Love the Martini livery on the new car and would laugh to see Massa finish ahead of Alonso this year.

Not going to happen.

Alonso is in my opinion the class of the field as a driver and the Ferrari looks to be among the top two cars this season. With that, I see Alonso securing his 3rd World Title. Alonso in a crappy Ferrari has finished runner up to Seb when he had no right too - he did a Schumacher and dragged that Prancing Horse to results it shouldn't have got (fans forget the job Schumacher did for Ferrari when he first moved from Benneton). Massa was an indicator for the strength of the Ferrari car with a standard driver piloting it; Alonso's skill made up the gap.

Felipe Massa I have a soft spot given I cheered him on along side Michael Schumacher for so many years though he was never the same after his big accident. We saw glimpses on occasion though we lost that free spirit behind the wheel. I am so happy that he got a drive though we have seen the best of him.

Last edited:

man2iel_

Juniors
Hmm...miss that V8 sounds purring around the track.

That all aside, Ricciardo looked promising and Seb did well too. The Red Bull team are still the champion team and they will go down swinging! Mercedes looks the class and Ferrari, with Alonso and Kimi, will be legit in 2014. This could be one hell of a title fight!