What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Origin - Game 1

oldmancraigy

Coach
Stewart + Hayne + Jennings > Hayne + Jennings + Morris

Hayne does not need to be NSW fullback anymore than he needs to be Australian fullback.

And yeah, Slater isn't on the wing. But Inglis is in the centres!!! If QLD were to do what you are saying then they would have Inglis at the back and Slater left out. But they don't, because they know having both in the team is much better. Inglis is in the centres because he can play centre and wing better than Slater, same as Hayne can play centre and wing better than Stewart.

Brett Stewart would be in NSW's top 5 players, if not top 3. It would be ludicrous to keep him out of the side when Hayne can be just as dangerous in the centres, as seen in the World Cup.

And I named Merrin at prop and Gallen at lock because I expect Gallen to play 80, while Merrin switches with the other 3 props.

Qld have won a zillion series in a row. NSW doesn't have the luxury of attempting to win one with a strange lineup (although perhaps the reason QLD have won so many in a row is because NSW selection decisions have been very ordinary for a long time?)

What NSW needs to do is get their best Origin 'game changer' and put them in the position of greatest potential damage.
It's worth noting that the Morris boys have both excelled at Origin level in the past, and I don't know how much superior Hayne is at centre as compared to Morris? Especially with Maloney or Pierce as his 'half'.

No, what NSW NEEDS (if they want to win a series anyway) is Hayne in a dominant position where he can create for the team or back himself.
Just go back and watch Origin 1 last year - he was outstanding in the win.
If we want to win, we need Hayne at FB, and the team built around him - give him the option to create that 1 on 1 opportunity for the wingers out wide (where Qld is weakest) with his long ball, or trample Thurston 3rd man in (which Hayne excels at).
What NSW do NOT want is to play their trump card up against Qld's best player (Inglis) - and run the risk of him not getting enough ball, and being neutralized because he's pegged into a position he has extremely little experience in.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I agree Hayne is the best fullback in NSW, and if I was picking the team he would be fullback.

I'm just explaining the rationale behind not picking him at fullback, and why Daley/whoever isn't an idiot if he plays Hayne in another position.

Pretty sure it does make him an idiot, because it is plainly obvious that the best option in attack at Origin level (in terms of creating for himself or others) is Hayne.
NSW don't have a dominant half, and that's why we need Hayne at FB. To fail to pick him there, and to pick a player who relies on a dominant half (ie, Stewart, or Dugan or ?) would be idiotic, given the lack of a dominant half.

It would be even more idiotic given that Daley played a fair bit in the halves.

barney gumble

Juniors
I heard dopey Daley say on one of the Fox footy shows that he will be pretty much be picking the same side as last year. A fit and in form Dugan would most likely get the fullback gig forcing Hayne possibly into the centres.

Don't necessarily agree, just reckon it will be the way it will go.

Springs

First Grade
Completely missing my point...

Im saying over the years Slater has been the best fullback for QLD so thats where they play him.

Hayne is NSW best fullback, so play him there.

If he was our second best fullback sure play him out of position to accommodate the other player, but he is our best fullback. All you have to do is look at game 1 last year, had a blinder and we won, Dugan gets the next two games and we lose.
Game 3 last year, twice Dugan failed to do a simple draw and pass, which went a long way to determine the result of the game.
This is what makes Hayne so valuable, at centre he wont touch the ball enough, play him fullback and let him do what he wants when he wants.

Over the years Hayne has played 3 games for NSW at fullback and won one. He's been our best winger though, so play him there according to your logic?

Hayne is not a must at fullback. The only reason Stewart wasn't there last year is because he was injured.

oldmancraigy has always just been a Hayne fanboy.

caylo

Bench
Stewart + Hayne + Jennings > Hayne + Jennings + Morris

Hayne does not need to be NSW fullback anymore than he needs to be Australian fullback.

And yeah, Slater isn't on the wing. But Inglis is in the centres!!! If QLD were to do what you are saying then they would have Inglis at the back and Slater left out. But they don't, because they know having both in the team is much better. Inglis is in the centres because he can play centre and wing better than Slater, same as Hayne can play centre and wing better than Stewart.

Brett Stewart would be in NSW's top 5 players, if not top 3. It would be ludicrous to keep him out of the side when Hayne can be just as dangerous in the centres, as seen in the World Cup.

And I named Merrin at prop and Gallen at lock because I expect Gallen to play 80, while Merrin switches with the other 3 props.

Completely disagree, Morris effort in nullifying Inglis is being over looked. Considering mist of origins are played in the middle third our defence out wide is essential while hayne has shown what he can do in attack running of the halves either side. I think hayne at fullback is better then any combination you can come up with him in any other position. Stewart's last origin game was woeful btw.

Joely01

Bench
Over the years Hayne has played 3 games for NSW at fullback and won one. He's been our best winger though, so play him there according to your logic?

Hayne is not a must at fullback. The only reason Stewart wasn't there last year is because he was injured.

How the hell did you manage to get that out of my post?

Again tonight Hayne proves why he is a MUST for fullback, get him the ball all over the park, let him pop up whenever.
Ask any QLD fan who they would pick out of NSW to not play against them, they choose Hayne.

Joely01

Bench
Completely disagree, Morris effort in nullifying Inglis is being over looked. Considering mist of origins are played in the middle third our defence out wide is essential while hayne has shown what he can do in attack running of the halves either side. I think hayne at fullback is better then any combination you can come up with him in any other position. Stewart's last origin game was woeful btw.

Agree, the reason Inglis has been quite in origin lately is because of Morris. He has done a wonderful job

oldmancraigy

Coach

You're incorrect.

The reason Stewart wasn't there last year is because Hayne was first choice. Stewart was injured and thus missed out in replacing Hayne when Hayne was injured.

And since you have no logical argument to make, it's good to see you resorting to personal attacks.....

hineyrulz

Post Whore

No it's 2 from 3 and the game we lost Hayne was just about the best player on the field. Jed Bogan is 0 from 3. Stewart is old and busted and easily handled at this level. But go on let's keep picking our best player out of posistion.

Watching the game last night the few Bronco fans around me said I'm glad they don't pick this guy at fullback in origin he is giving Barba an absolute bath.

Gronk

Staff member
The clash between Parramatta's Jarryd Hayne and Roosters counterpart Michael Jennings will assume great significance on Saturday as an NSW centre position is up for grabs.
Canterbury's Josh Morris is assured of one centre spot for the opening Origin encounter at Suncorp Stadium but Jennings is under pressure to retain his. Blues coach Laurie Daley has indicated that Hayne has outgrown the wing, where he has starred in previous interstate campaigns, and will be considered at fullback or centre. Dragons custodian Josh Dugan and Manly's Brett Stewart could also come into the frame for the No.1 jersey.
1397120768683.jpg-620x349.jpg
Jarryd Hayne takes on the Maroons defence in Game One last year. Photo: Wolter Peeters

"Josh was a part of the team last year and was closer to being our player of the series in those two games," Daley said. "He's a talented player and someone who has excelled at that level."
Advertisement
"Jarryd Hayne is a guy who has never let NSW down in the past and I would think that the decision we have to make is whether we play Jarryd as a fullback or Jarryd in the centres where he played successfully in Australia and likely may play as a centre in the Anzac Test in a couple of weeks.
"It's a good position to be in knowing you've got those guys playing well at their club and can handle different positions at Origin level. It's just a matter of us trying to get that right mix with the balance and best suits your team."
Another selection conundrum for Daley is the five-eighth spot. Rooster James Maloney is the incumbent while Canterbury's Josh Reynolds is applying pressure after a strong start to the year.
"James was part of the team last year and obviously you like to have some stability in your key positions," Daley told nswrl.com.au. "James, while he hasn't been at his best this year, I believe in the next couple of weeks he'll start to show us the form he displayed last year and the form which catapulted him into Origin I.
"Josh Reynolds, I couldn't be more impressed with the way he's gone about it. He has improved as a footballer. He's a guy who is very competitive. We blooded him in last year's series and he's just taken the bit between the teeth and is playing at a new level.
"For us that's good but we want other guys like Todd Carney to be playing some good football a couple of weeks back from injury and starting to put pressure on everyone. We need people that are going to be selected playing well, in form and going into the Origin series very confident."

hineyrulz

Post Whore
f**k Laurie Daley is a f**king wombat.

Jed Bogan has done nothing so far this season while Hayne is the form fullback in the comp, we already have two top line centres in jennings and Morris but lets leave one of them out to keep our best player out of position in Hayne just so we can pick a tattooed Bogan.

spiderdan

Bench
f**k Laurie Daley is a f**king wombat.

Jed Bogan has done nothing so far this season while Hayne is the form fullback in the comp, we already have two top line centres in jennings and Morris but lets leave one of them out to keep our best player out of position in Hayne just so we can pick a tattooed Bogan.
yeah i don't get the dugan love-in by daley and some others. he's a decent player but i don't think he's close to stewart or hayne. if both those guys are fit then one of them should be the fullback, keeping in mind hayne has played well in pretty much every origin he has played, even when the rest of the blues have had their arses handed to them.

with daley, it seems like all dugan has to do is have his name mentioned as being available to play for his club a week or so earlier and all of a sudden he's brought into the mix and ahead of stewart and hayne for the fullback spot.

i credit daley's involvement in origin as being a key part of queensland's dominance over the last 8 years (from his dealings on the nsw side of the border and not trying to take away from some of the talent qld have had at their disposal the last decade).

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Daley and Bozo have been involved in the set up for ages, the amount of Nuffies who have been picked the last 8 series and counting is ming boggling. Sure QLD have had the better spine but NSW continually shoot themselves in the foot.

Our best spine injury permitting is

1 - Hayne
6 - Carney
7 - Mullen
9 - Farah

Farah will be the only one picked and even then he had to wait behind an untalented piece of dried dog shit in Ennis. Hayne will be shunted to the centres and a guy who has done well in origin in Jennings will miss out.

84 Baby

Referee
What I reckon Daley has pencilled in already

1. Dugan
2. B.Morris
3. Jennings
4. J.Morris
5. Hayne
6. Carney
7. Pearce
13. Gallen
12. Bird
11. Stewart
10. Tamou
9. Farah
8. Fifita

14. Gidley
15. Hoffman
16. Watmough
17. Merrin

And it looks very similar to previous years so I can see another loss

84 Baby

Referee
i credit daley's involvement in origin as being a key part of queensland's dominance over the last 8 years (from his dealings on the nsw side of the border and not trying to take away from some of the talent qld have had at their disposal the last decade).
I am going to throw it out there and lay the blame at Gould's feet. He was massive in saying NSW need to have players picked consistently every year to have a chance of winning series. That clearly has been a massive failure and I reckon players should be picked on current form

spiderdan

Bench
I am going to throw it out there and lay the blame at Gould's feet. He was massive in saying NSW need to have players picked consistently every year to have a chance of winning series. That clearly has been a massive failure and I reckon players should be picked on current form
hahaa you know that consistency policy only really applies to mitchell pearce for some reason, don't you? but i agree with daley, stuart and gus, he does need that time to fill the boots of an origin 7. by 2020 he may be ready to shine.

form should be taken into account for sure. the picking incumbents thing from gus makes me laugh a little as i seem to recall him ranting some time ago about how rep teams should be picked on form because if they aren't then rep football isn't a reward for good performance anymore. he is such a tool.

Latest posts