What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game of Thrones

Status
Not open for further replies.

beave

Coach
Missus is away for 3 days and has made strict instructions that I am not to watch it without her........ I don't think I can carry out her wishes.......

God-King Dean

Immortal
Pros
-What the f**ks a Lommy?
-I want that Joffrey statue.
-The Hound is my favourite minor character, in books & TV series. Arya & he are made for each other. Sanya? Ardor? I went there.
-Oberyn's demeanor is perfect
-I'm usually pretty meh to Jon Snow, but it seems to me Kit Harrington's acting has improved. Loved his line to Janos Slynt. "I was the King Guard in King's Landing!" "Well you're here now so you mustn't have been doing a very good job."

Cons/The series is different from the books whinge
-Disappointed with the Tywin disowning Jaime scene. It was such a dramatic moment in the book. "You will rule Casterly Rock." "Nah, King's Guard is totes better." "*sigh* Fine then" "Yeah, Dad disowned me & stuff." Remarkably underwhelming.
-Unnecessary nudity
-Oberyn, a pillow biter? I don't think so....
-Daenerys isn't dead
-Daario's previous actor suited the role better IMO.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Not a classic episode.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Felt really weird seeing Jaime all clean after a season of being a dirty grub :lol:

Gave the episode another watch tonight, good start to the season. Fast forwarded through the Daenarys scenes though.

I gave it a second watch tonight too. After seeing the Honest Trailer point out how damn slow she is about exacting her revenge, I chuckled every time I saw her staring at the sea or f**king around at camp.

Missus is away for 3 days and has made strict instructions that I am not to watch it without her........ I don't think I can carry out her wishes.......

I could never hold to that vow in the past. Just feign surprise at the right points.

Pros
-What the f**ks a Lommy?
-I want that Joffrey statue.
-The Hound is my favourite minor character, in books & TV series. Arya & he are made for each other. Sanya? Ardor? I went there.
-Oberyn's demeanor is perfect
-I'm usually pretty meh to Jon Snow, but it seems to me Kit Harrington's acting has improved. Loved his line to Janos Slynt. "I was the King Guard in King's Landing!" "Well you're here now so you mustn't have been doing a very good job."

Cons/The series is different from the books whinge
-Disappointed with the Tywin disowning Jaime scene. It was such a dramatic moment in the book. "You will rule Casterly Rock." "Nah, King's Guard is totes better." "*sigh* Fine then" "Yeah, Dad disowned me & stuff." Remarkably underwhelming.
-Unnecessary nudity
-Oberyn, a pillow biter? I don't think so....
-Daenerys isn't dead
-Daario's previous actor suited the role better IMO.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Not a classic episode.

It is implied in the book at least once that he is open to lovers of both sexes.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Oberyn is a pretty cool new character. Watching the trailer, I was a bit meh, but I like how he has an axe to grind in regards to his sister.

It took them a long time to figure out what to do with Ned Starks sword

Springs

First Grade
I wasn't expecting much but I thought that was very well done. Apart from a couple of things most of it was from the book and done well. Especially the Hound scene and the fact that Dontos is back, as well as Maester Aemon. And not wimping out on the markers to Meereen.
Things I didn't like were more Shae jealous bitching and Oberyn's entrance, but I guess they just had to have more naked bodies in there somewhere. Personally I enjoyed his book entrance and appearance better. Didn't really make much sense that he would enter the city wearing that by himself, considering he wants to kill everyone.

After seeing the preview for next week's episode:

Scenes of the royal wedding mean one thing: Joffrey's death will most likely be next week

Btw, I really liked the scenes of melting down Ice into the 2 new swords.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Things I didn't like were more Shae jealous bitching

I don't understand why the writers are making her into such a bitch. Tyrion has no choice in all of this, & tries to do everything right by her. But she has somehow forgotten that she's a whore, & would be coping a DVDA in a camp somewhere if it wasn't for him.

Last edited:

Springs

First Grade
'Ooh you touched her hand, I hate you! You don't want to f**k me for very good reason, I hate you!' I can't see how anyone would like her.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Really enjoyed the episode, apart the annoying Shae/Tyrion scenes. Loved Ayra and the Hound f**king shit up and her ending back up with needle. Oh and Jamie is f**king boss :cool:

Misanthrope

Staff member
I honestly don't see the issue with the so-called unnecessary nudity. It's not like it is detracting from anything. If anything, it makes otherwise boring exposition mildly pleasing.

Wato

Juniors
Was a good first episode. Loved the Arya and the Hound scence was worried they were going to leave arya out of it again like they did at harrenhal for a second and loved Oberyn, he and tyrions interchanges will be entertaining.

Did anyone else find it interesting that Slynt and Thorne are at castle Black and not east watch by the sea. Will this interfere with Jons arch as his claim to become lord commander is based upon his defence of the wall.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I imagine they'll just have him be more individually heroic, but perhaps they'll have them temporarily absent for the attack. Given their skepticism as to his claims, they could very well temporarily remove themselves

Did anybody else catch the veiled reference to Jon Snow's potential parentage?

Wato

Juniors
that's true they could send slynt to east watch to gather more men and have throne die during the attack instead of ranging beyond the wall. That would pave the way for Jon to take temporary command. Interesting line from Oberyn last night about r+l=j

Springs

First Grade
I honestly don't see the issue with the so-called unnecessary nudity. It's not like it is detracting from anything. If anything, it makes otherwise boring exposition mildly pleasing.

How is it not detracting?
- Takes time away from other more interesting things cut out.
- Takes attention away from what characters are saying.
There was nothing to the scene at the brothel at all, except that they like prostitutes. Somehow I doubt that's going to become a big thing in the story.

I see why people like it when Emilia Clarke or Rose Leslie get naked, but when two random hookers get naked...hell if that's what I wanted to see I could see 100x better and a million times more with a couple of clicks of a mouse.
Littlefinger's dialogue in the brothel season 1 is actually one of the better scenes of exposition in the series, alluding very well to what he is about to do and to his history as well. But no one remembers what he said because well, there were two whores f**king just over there...
It just shows a lack of faith in the viewers and the source material when they think they have to add nudity so people will pay attention.

Did anybody else catch the veiled reference to Jon Snow's potential parentage?

Do you mean what Oberyn said or something different?

Misanthrope

Staff member
How is it not detracting?
- Takes time away from other more interesting things cut out.
- Takes attention away from what characters are saying.
There was nothing to the scene at the brothel at all, except that they like prostitutes. Somehow I doubt that's going to become a big thing in the story.

It didn't take time away from anybody, given it introduced both Oberyn and his paramour in a far more interesting way than if we'd just met them on the road. Their open relationship is an interesting facet of who they are (and of Dornish culture) that is explored in more depth in the books.

If you can't pay attention to what is being said because there are boobs on screen, you must be 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.