What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Obstacle Course Racing

So who's into obstacle course racing?

The popularity of such events has exploded over the last couple of years it seems.

My first event was Tough Bloke Challenge in Appin near Sydney back in 2011. I've since done two more Tough Bloke Challenges as well as Urbanathlon, Tough Mudder, Beach Bash, Spartan Race (Sprint), Warrior Dash and the Mud Run.

The only real turn-off of such events are the costs. $160 to do Tough Mudder!

Snoochies

First Grade
I did the Tough Mudder in August and loved it. More so because it took me away from my comfort zone and had to train differently. I hate running and was never good at long distance and that was the hardest part for me but the obstacles were fun and managed to complete them all. I like Tough Mudder simply for the fact it's just a challenge to start and finish. Some of the others which are more race orientated I would probably not have as much fun simply because I hate running :)

Evil_Mush

Juniors
I've never been much of a runner either, but have done 3 mud runs this year (Naki Run Amuck in Taranaki, Brookfield Butt Busta & Tough Guy in Wellington) and me and some mates keen to enter the Tough Mudder that debuts in Auckland next year!

My goals for those three were just to finish, heh, but since I've been getting more into general fitness since then, gonna actually train for whatever I do next and go much harder on the day now that I've got an idea of what sort of pace I can keep at.

Pretty fun going with a group and dressing up too. For the Tough Guy I went with workmates and were all flouro'd up, for the Naki Run Amuck a group of us went as wrestlers (Hart Foundation & The Rockers) which were basically Sevens costumes from previous years we decided to retire in style!

Danish

Referee
I've done one tough mudder and really enjoyed it, but the cost is a definite turn off for these types of events.

The other thing I have found annoying is the amount of competitors with a lax attitude. Very annoying seeing people walking, having a chat, and not putting effort in. I don't mind how fast or slow someone goes, just as long as they are pushing themselves to whatever limit they are capable of.

I liken them to the back of the pack walkers from he city2surf and other fun runs.

If they did staged starts based on speed/intensity levels I think they'd be much better for it, although I guess that would lead to bottlenecks

God-King Dean

Immortal
Any of you arseholes going in the Spartan Sprint April 5th? Gonna be my first obstacle course race, pretty excited.

CGD

Juniors
Yeah, i'm doing the Sprint.

If you've never done a Spartan out there at Picton before, I hope you've been doing a lot of hill running in training, the terrain is BRUTAL.

My first obstacle race was Tough Mudder at Eastern Creek last year. Was a bit disappointed. Fun day out with some mates. We did it as a team, which means you only travel as fast as your weakest link and our weakest link was very slow. I didn't get the satisfaction of a challenge or testing myself. Plus, Tough Mudders are purposely uncompetitive, and very gimmicky. So I immediately signed up for Spartan Beast which was a few weeks later.

I had no idea what I was in for. Went out there by myself. Was given second last wave of the day. Raced in 33C. 3 hours 19 mins later I hobbled (literally) over the finish line, hardest thing i've ever done in my life. Which made it one of the best things i've ever done.

Can't recommend Spartan events enough. I doubt i'll do another Tough Mudder. I'm doing the Sprint this weekend, already registered for Beast in Brisbane in September, and will do Super at Picton in October.

I've been training hard since Beast kicked my ass last October. I finished very dehydrated (lack of water stations), and cramping badly in nearly every muscle below my waist for the last 3-4km. Sprint will be fine, but i've got a bone to pick with Beast this year. I'm confident I could've finished in under 3 hours if I didn't start cramping, which would've put me in the top 100 (I came 188th). I'd like to crack the top 50 this September.

The Major

Bench
Spartan Sprint was a great event. Max and the organisers put one hell of a tough course together and the elements really added that extra dimension.

CGD

Juniors
Agree. For it's length, it was very tough, I thought it was great.

I got in on the Scoopon deal back in November so entry only cost me $49. Absolute bargain.

All the recent rain including the night before the race made it extra muddy and so slippery. Thought the barbed wire crawl up a very steep and slippery hill was genius. That dead ball was way harder than in the dry conditions of Beast last year, slippery bugger. Sandbag carry was tamer than Beast though.

I've still got at least 5 splinters or thistle spines in my hands.

Already signed up for Beast and Super later in the year.

Latest posts