What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Still An Amateur Bunch Of Ne'erdowells

TheRam

Coach
NRL BLIND TO SUCCESS OF ISLANDERS

IMAGINE if Semi Radradra was still paddling a canoe. If rather than igniting the NRL, rather than creating the greatest feel good story of 2014, this Parramatta flyer was back home in Fiji — commuting between mainland footy games and that little island where he and his hardworking parents farm kava.
Would seem a waste, right?
So why is it the NRL refuses to financially support Brad Fittler’s blueprint for not only improving Fijian rugby league, but bringing more Islanders like the leading NRL tryscorer Down Under?
Twice Fittler and good mate Andrew Johns have walked into League Central asking for help with their project. Twice they’ve been knocked back. And so, from their own pockets, the pair pay for all flights, accommodation and coaching clinic costs.
Hosting fundraisers, visiting schools, changing lives.
And having already unearthed Penrith flyer Eto Nabuli, the pair now have two more youngsters they insist will walk straight into the NRL. Instead, they work farms. Seems a waste, right?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...-yellow-and-blue/story-fndv34of-1226890086676

As much as things change, things just stay the same. :crazy:

What a bunch of losers. And these guys have the hide to call themselves custodians of our game.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I can understand the NRL being reluctant to fund this particular projects as how can it be ensured all 16 teams are benefitted and not just some?

I'd much rather see the NRL help to assist Fiji get some sort of team out together similar to what PNG have done with the QLD Cup first.

I have been saying for years that another alternative is to provide an allowance (say 250-300k) to be used for the signing and development of promising youngsters from developing nations.

Kiwi

First Grade
I can understand the NRL being reluctant to fund this particular projects as how can it be ensured all 16 teams are benefitted and not just some?

I'd much rather see the NRL help to assist Fiji get some sort of team out together similar to what PNG have done with the QLD Cup first.

I have been saying for years that another alternative is to provide an allowance (say 250-300k) to be used for the signing and development of promising youngsters from developing nations.

yeah you can bet it'll be the Knights, Panthers and Roosters that will get the cream of the crop. It's a good idea, but Fittler and Johns have obvious club bias.

The bit in bold has more merit.

cleary89

Coach
How is getting freddy and joey a free trip to fiji to find players for the clubs they are associated with worth nrl funding?

Do NRL clubs still have scouts? Recruiting departments?

Kiwi

First Grade
this article is an epic fail

If freddy and Joey were serious about this in an unbiased way they would be approaching the 16 clubs as well as the NRL or instead of. I'm sure if they looked at getting a system off the group that had the involvement of all the clubs that wanted to be a part of it getting a equal shot at all the talent identified they would have very little trouble getting backing.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
You guys are assuming a hell of a lot. I doubt very much that Fitler & Johns went in there and presented a scheme where only Penrith, East, & the Knights all benefited.

And even if they were that stupid, all the NRL need do is to invest in Fiji in a way that gives all clubs access to the players equally.

In a country like Fiji it wouldn't take much at all from a financial perspective. The NRL though has to take the lead initiative.

You guys are assuming a hell of a lot. I doubt very much that Fitler & Johns went in there and presented a scheme where only Penrith, East, & the Knights all benefited.

And even if they were that stupid, all the NRL need do is to invest in Fiji in a way that gives all clubs access to the players equally.

In a country like Fiji it wouldn't take much at all from a financial perspective. The NRL though has to take the lead initiative.

You blame others of 'assuming' but then again you, and the writer of this article, are guilty of the same thing.

Seems just another 'bashing the NRL' article from a News Ltd cronie to me

Packy

Bench
Am I alone in feeling that flutter in me pants whenever the word amateur is used?

TheRam

Coach
You blame others of 'assuming' but then again you, and the writer of this article, are guilty of the same thing.

I maybe also making assumptions, but I think mine are more probable.

pHyR3

Juniors

no he's blaming of others of assuming too much.

Card Shark

Immortal

& the Eagles.

Doesn't Joey assistant coach them?

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Code in Crisis - non-News Corpse NRL management won't throw money at a couple of drunks to party in Fiji.

RWB

Bench
This trip isn't about recruiting players, that was never their intention when they headed over there. Their intention is to promote the game of Rugby League and improve their development systems by passing on knowledge.

Some people are just missing the point entirely.

Whether the NRL should be obliged to fund the trip that's the tricky part, I'm probably in the minority on this but I do think the NRL have a responsibility and obligation to improve international Rugby League. More than just fund the trip I'd like the NRL to help fund development & set up pathways for players to come over and play in the NRL.

At the end of the day though I can see why an administration who are given the task of only running the NRL would say no to such an investment.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
This trip isn't about recruiting players, that was never their intention when they headed over there. Their intention is to promote the game of Rugby League and improve their development systems by passing on knowledge.

Some people are just missing the point entirely.

Whether the NRL should be obliged to fund the trip that's the tricky part, I'm probably in the minority on this but I do think the NRL have a responsibility and obligation to improve international Rugby League. More than just fund the trip I'd like the NRL to help fund development & set up pathways for players to come over and play in the NRL.

At the end of the day though I can see why an administration who are given the task of only running the NRL would say no to such an investment.

I agree with the part in bold, but I also feel this isn't the way to do it, and I hope the NRL are considering their options in this regard.

I also have no doubt that with the amount of media connections these two have this story is essentially a vent about being knocked back in the hope it puts pressure on the NRL. I can understand their frustration, especially if they're out of pocket for doing good things to promote Rugby League.

As I said though, I think there are far better ways to create pathways to places like Fiji, Tonga, PNG, Samoa etc than this.

eozsmiles

Bench
It doesn't say that johns and Fred are recruiting for their old mates back home, it says they are running coaching clinics and school visits out of their own pocket. How many guys have signed after one of these coaching clinics? One?
Because it is not sanctioned by the NRL and no other club wants anything to do with it, they are effectively the only "recruiters" there. It doesn't have to be like that.

It is exactly the sort of thing that the NRL could get a lot of leverage out of for a couple of hundred grand a year. For example, they could send Locky and Wally over for a tour, then Joey and Fred, then vagana and Petero. Send them all together if they like. You can't build a game over there without sending some people over to get it started.

Penrith got the first bloke, but only because nobody gives a s**t about the place. If a rep from the eels or rabbits or manly or whoever wants to go over there and pay there own way, they don't have to fight off any competition. If the likes of Cleal or Nolan could be arsed getting on a plane and spending a couple of weeks in a developing nation, then they'll get as many players as they like.

And that's the catch. The clubs want the NRL to go over there and find the kids, develop the game, and then at the very end the scouts from the clubs will go to a tournament and sign who they like. The clubs want the work to be done by others first. And only Fred and joe are interested in doing it at the moment. And because clubs/fans are paranoid, as soon as someone goes on one of these missions everyone wants to talk about perceived bias and favouritism rather than any improvement to the overall game. It's a catch 22.

So if the NRL doesn't get involved, and the majority of clubs don't either, it may be the sole domain of the Freddy/Joey show and whichever clubs they can get to sign a kid. Because they are the only ones that are bothered to do the work.

georgesnmith

Juniors
if they want to look at the pacific islands, it should be done properly not in such an ad hoc way

and the ARLC should be looking at all the pacific islands for talent.

they should have development officers in all these nations, thats the proper way to do it.

imagine all the talent thats being wasted in those places that we could harness for the NRL