What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall is coming back to the NRL.

The Pa Kid

Juniors
And you'll keep watching Union.

There's only one winner there and you're reading his post right now.
I will and league.
I played both and enjoyed them for different reasons, but my main point was Benji?s skill level had to be improved before he could go further in Union. Time is not on his side.

TheDalek079

Bench
He may have played centre when he first went to union in France but in NZ he played wing and 2nd Five. SBW never needed to kick at 2nd five but did try to develop that part of his game. He played in the World Cup final and came on as a reserve on the wing.
The difference between him and Benji is the work he put in to get himself up to the same level of skill his team mates had. Also Sonny changed the way 2nd fives played in NZ by running great angles to get behind the advantage line, (something the outstanding league players in Aussie do) whilst off -loading. This brought a whole new avenue of attack which eventually helped the Chiefs win their first title.

SBW replaced Ma'a in the final, so wouldn't he be playing second five/inside centre? Unless Sonny Bill went to the wing and Kahui came into the centres

georgesnmith

Juniors
He may have played centre when he first went to union in France but in NZ he played wing and 2nd Five. SBW never needed to kick at 2nd five but did try to develop that part of his game. He played in the World Cup final and came on as a reserve on the wing.
The difference between him and Benji is the work he put in to get himself up to the same level of skill his team mates had. Also Sonny changed the way 2nd fives played in NZ by running great angles to get behind the advantage line, (something the outstanding league players in Aussie do) whilst off -loading. This brought a whole new avenue of attack which eventually helped the Chiefs win their first title.

so SBW did play in two positions for the All Blacks that require kicking

and he managed to play in a team that won the world cup

so i guess his kicking skills must be ok

maybe the Roosters should get him to do the kicking duties instead of maloney or pearce?

i played union for 15 years and league for 5. Union was slower, more boring, less skilled

in league the kids were doing long cut out passes in primary school, didnt see it in union till year nine.

benji was never given a decent chance in union

Andy Farrell went to union on basically one good knee. he had a minimal kicking game

he starred for England

Benji couldve killed it in union even with his diminished pace and lack of knowledge of the game

I will and league.
I played both and enjoyed them for different reasons, but my main point was Benji?s skill level had to be improved before he could go further in Union. Time is not on his side.

Sure, and his what, a couple of halves of Union, prove that he is no good at it?

You don't understand the bloke at all. This is the second epic dummy spit in 12 months odd, nothing more.

betcats

Referee
Sure, and his what, a couple of halves of Union, prove that he is no good at it?

You don't understand the bloke at all. This is the second epic dummy spit in 12 months odd, nothing more.

I read that his rugby coach sat him down and told him he will not get another run for the blues and they will release him if they want. Hardly seems like benji initiated this if that is true.

MrAnonymous

Bench
Would love Benji to come back and Carve.

Kinda like Soward, Every merkin has shut up about him since he's doing well.

The Eagle

Juniors
Would love Benji to come back and Carve.

Kinda like Soward, Every merkin has shut up about him since he's doing well.

Benji is shit and Soward is still a turnstyle BUT Soward performs a great role for his team,i don't think Benji has that talent left in him

betcats

Referee
Benji is shit and Soward is still a turnstyle BUT Soward performs a great role for his team,i don't think Benji has that talent left in him

I don't think talent is Benjis problem. Like Soward I think his biggest problem last year was attitude. Both seem like confidence players to me, and I think if the sharks(or whoeever sign him) can keep Benji happy, confident and motivated then they will be happy with what he produces on field, much the same as Penrith have done with Sowwwiee.

The Eagle

Juniors
I don't think talent is Benjis problem. Like Soward I think his biggest problem last year was attitude. Both seem like confidence players to me, and I think if the sharks(or whoeever sign him) can keep Benji happy, confident and motivated then they will be happy with what he produces on field, much the same as Penrith have done with Sowwwiee.

Yeah but Peter Sharp? Come on

Soward is like cough medicine,he looks,smells and probably tastes like shit but for penrith he's exactly what the doctor ordered,he is best playing to a structure in a role set by a coach

Benji is a very ad-lib player,i think he'd be bog average put into a structured side,i just don't see him being Cronulla's Soward,he's won this and that because he was allowed to do what he wanted,Soward had to do what Bennett told him and now he's doing the same for Gus and Ivan

TheDalek079

Bench
I read that his rugby coach sat him down and told him he will not get another run for the blues and they will release him if they want. Hardly seems like benji initiated this if that is true.

My understanding was that Sir JK told Benji that he could either get a release or spend the rest of the season playing in the development squad. Sounds like Benji didn't want to put in any more effort trying to master the game

betcats

Referee
My understanding was that Sir JK told Benji that he could either get a release or spend the rest of the season playing in the development squad. Sounds like Benji didn't want to put in any more effort trying to master the game

They obviously were keen to get him off the books if they dangled the release in front of him like that. But yeah I doubt Benji was willing to spend a season in the development squad learning to play the game.

Canard

Immortal

I imagine that impacted on aspects of his earning potential also?

I.e certain bonuses would be off the table

Guessing this of course

This is what I heard as well.

He thought he would have made the All Blacks by now but Union has turned out to be a tougher task than he imagined.

Faced with the prospect of having to work hard in second division, he's decided that its probably easier to just come back to League where he is comfortable.