What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Souths backline

GONZO72

Juniors
Once again Souths are competitive. They have a strong pack led by arguably the best forward in the game. A halves combination which is solid, a sensational fullback, and not the worst bench in the world .

The problem is , numbers 2 to 5.
N. MERRITT
B. GOODWIN
D.WALKER
K. AUVA'A
J. REDDY
L. TUQIRI

Thats their choice !!!! Why are Souths stocking up on more forwards ?
Heeeeeelllo, what about outside backs .

This is why Souths will again figure in the finals, but it will be 44 years and counting.

Fat Krion

Juniors
Once again Souths are competitive. They have a strong pack led by arguably the best forward in the game. A halves combination which is solid, a sensational fullback, and not the worst bench in the world .

The problem is , numbers 2 to 5.
N. MERRITT
B. GOODWIN
D.WALKER
K. AUVA'A
J. REDDY
L. TUQIRI

Thats their choice !!!! Why are Souths stocking up on more forwards ?
Heeeeeelllo, what about outside backs .

This is why Souths will again figure in the finals, but it will be 44 years and counting.

The comparison must be made to the Souths side of 1989 when they had assembled one of the best forward packs in league history.

That pack led them to a minor premiership however their backs weren't good enough.

Djura,Mavin, Neville,Roberts, Harrington, Blake, and Coleman.

Funny how history tends to repeat...

GONZO72

Juniors
The comparison must be made to the Souths side of 1989 when they had assembled one of the best forward packs in league history.

That pack led them to a minor premiership however their backs weren't good enough.

Djura,Mavin, Neville,Roberts, Harrington, Blake, and Coleman.

Funny how history tends to repeat...

Very true. Souths have had a history of strong packs but garbage backs.
2014 is no different ?
Is there a worst backline in the NRL ?

The Eagle

Juniors
Very true. Souths have had a history of strong packs but garbage backs.
2014 is no different ?
Is there a worst backline in the NRL ?

Broncos,Sharks,Knights and Dogs are almost as bad as souffs in the backs department

DC_fan

Coach
N. MERRITT Souths all-time leading try scorer. Turns 31 next month so his best years are behind him.
B. GOODWIN. Had an absolute shocker against the Bulldogs. Had a good 2013, but this season has been ordinary
D.WALKER only 19 and is very promising.
K. AUVA'A. I like this kid. Only 22 and has played just two games. A prospect.
J. REDDY Wasn't impressed when we signed him. Hasn't done anything (yet) to change my mind
L. TUQIRI no idea why we signed. Had a terrible game against the Panthers a couple of weeks back and was dropped.

My feeling is that come 2015 that out of the above group only Walker and Auva'a will be there

Fat Krion

Juniors
Broncos,Sharks,Knights and Dogs are almost as bad as souffs in the backs department
Disagree with inclusion of the Knights

Boyd,Uate,Gagai,BJ,Mcmanus, Mullen and Roberts is very strong.

While the Bronos are not bad either however concur with thoughts on Dogs and Sharks.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Auvaa and Walker are gems.

We need some wingers. We got a kid named Johnston who should be playing ahead of Merritt. And Goodwin does a decent job.

We're in the hunt for Ferguson or Hurrell next season.

We'll be right.

The Eagle

Juniors
Disagree with inclusion of the Knights

Boyd,Uate,Gagai,BJ,Mcmanus, Mullen and Roberts is very strong.

While the Bronos are not bad either however concur with thoughts on Dogs and Sharks.

[/B]

The f**k?! :crazy:

Yeah fair call,just something either in the halves or forwards is holding that backline from shining,i honestly haven't really noticed them this season and with their record you can hardly blame me for forgetting that backline,other than belting some gumby team by 30 they have lost every game yeah? or did i miss another game?

GONZO72

Juniors
N. MERRITT Souths all-time leading try scorer. Turns 31 next month so his best years are behind him.
B. GOODWIN. Had an absolute shocker against the Bulldogs. Had a good 2013, but this season has been ordinary
D.WALKER only 19 and is very promising.
K. AUVA'A. I like this kid. Only 22 and has played just two games. A prospect.
J. REDDY Wasn't impressed when we signed him. Hasn't done anything (yet) to change my mind
L. TUQIRI no idea why we signed. Had a terrible game against the Panthers a couple of weeks back and was dropped.

My feeling is that come 2015 that out of the above group only Walker and Auva'a will be there

Fine summation. Walker and Auva'a are the pick of them, the rest are either washed up or not first grade standard.

Why they bought a has been like Glenn Stewart, who is 3 years past his best, is beyond me. Seriously, they'd of been better of, chasing a high profile centre. Inglis can't do it on his pat Malone.

GONZO72

Juniors
Auvaa and Walker are gems.

We need some wingers. We got a kid named Johnston who should be playing ahead of Merritt. And Goodwin does a decent job.

We're in the hunt for Ferguson or Hurrell next season.

We'll be right.

I'm hearing the Roosters will be signing Ferguson. If he can get his head right, that Roosters backline, minus MInicheillo is scary.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Nobody rates Uate anymore.

So what? As was said, Uate is one player out of 5 (plus he's not that bad). Surely as someone who is with MENSA, you should be intelligent enough to realise that 1 out of 5 backs doesn't make a bad backline? Oh that's right, you lied about being intelligent. Moving on...

Noname36

First Grade
Yeah fair call,just something either in the halves or forwards is holding that backline from shining,i honestly haven't really noticed them this season and with their record you can hardly blame me for forgetting that backline,other than belting some gumby team by 30 they have lost every game yeah? or did i miss another game?

The side (mostly the forwards and Gidley) has been pretty dire in general but when the backline gets quality ball (not much this year with Mullen being injured) they're pretty devastating. I might be biased but at their best id have them up with Manly and the Roosters. The side in general has been well below its best this year though obviously.