What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs. Rabittohs Discussion + Voting

Dazzat

First Grade
3. McCullough
2. Gillett (would have got 3, but for the lame effort to prepare for a field goal)
1. Vidot

Regarding Martin Kennedy - Daniel Vidot probably makes more metres up the middle than Kennedy. I know he looks more like a front rower in tackles than does Kennedy, who thus far has done nothing of note. Bring in Hala or promote a young gun please.

Agree, that placing all the responsibility for kicking onto Hunt is costing us. If he has an off night, we're screwed (as was the case last night).

One wonders how many times during the week Griffin may have said, "Don't kick the ball to Inglis" ... so what does Barba do? Granted, it was worth it to see that try, but ...

Does anyone know why Parker isn't playing 80 minutes? Surely we are a better team with him on the field.

Hannant is slowly improving - which is good to see. Wallace is improving, despite the coach holding him back.

Snappy

Coach
Field gaol attempt should have been taken on tackle 3 or 4 of that set. Was a tough loss to swallow.

What did the video replays look like of the Burgess strip call ? I was right in front of it and live it looked like he dropped it cold.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Field gaol attempt should have been taken on tackle 3 or 4 of that set. Was a tough loss to swallow.

What did the video replays look like of the Burgess strip call ? I was right in front of it and live it looked like he dropped it cold.

Was a strip but I hate the rule. We only have ourselves to blame. The field goal should have been a gimmie!

man2iel_

Juniors
We blew this game. Forget the strip call that went against us. Key moments saw us come up short. If Parker kicked a relatively easy conversion to move us 8 points clear; we have a different ball game. It would have changed the dynamic of the end game for both teams. Copley not securing the ball that McQueen stripped; another key moment. The soft defence that allowed George to score.

Greg Inglis' performance will forever stand out. What a performer. An Immortal in waiting. Our best was again McCullough. Gillette was superb too.

oikee

Juniors
You have to feel for Vidot, having to do the forwards hit-ups as the rest apart from Hannet had little to no impact.
Jack Reed is a passenger and Hunt cant kick to save his life.

I look at this team and can never see Reed or Hunt in a grand final.
The coach needs to pass the ball, the longer the Broncos keep him the longer they go without even looking like a premiership side.
Putting a winger at five-eight is madness. Hoffman is not a standoff, never will be.

They got beaten by a team of only two players. George Burgess absolutely tore our small pack a new one, and Inglis gave our whole backs a master class in awesomeness.
Barba needs to go back to Q-cup.

Last edited:

Maroon4life

Juniors
Was a strip but I hate the rule. We only have ourselves to blame. The field goal should have been a gimmie!

Yeah i agree, was a dead set strip attempt from Hunt. So was Parker's not a few seconds later.

A real team would won that game with a fresh set of 6 on the 50m. That was just textbook football with very basic execution. I don't care if Hunt kicked the ball 15m to the left or right but they should of atleast had him taking a shot dead in front from the 30m line with no-one within charge down distance.

Big Pete

Referee
Well you know what they'll be doing at training for the next two weeks. The most disappointing aspect was that it was senior players like Hodges and Gillett who looked the most lost in that situation. They shouldn't have been in the vicinity. It should have been a McGuire or Wallace rucking it up. Hodges out from dummy half forcing a quick play the ball, throw it wide to Hunt to hit the field goal and most likely miss because he was never any good at kicking them in the first place.

A wild game, just glad the team showed some character and fought to the bitter end. A lot of teams would have folded after that dreadful start.

3. Matt Gillett
2. Ben Hannant
1. Andrew McCullough

At least, that's how I saw it at the ground.

Big Pete

Referee
George Burgess was amazing, MotM performance and one of the best props in the game. However, we're voting Broncos players and there wasn't a better forward in the first half than Hannant. He came on and instantly we looked a lot better in attack and defence.

I thought he easily outplayed McGuire who I thought put in one of his weaker efforts of the season.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
However, we're voting Broncos players and there wasn't a better forward in the first half than Hannant. He came on and instantly we looked a lot better in attack and defence.

Don't necessarily disagree with you. Just sayin off the kick offs I've noticed Hannant tends to get dominated, not just in this game either... Really puts us on the back foot to start the set.

Big Pete

Referee
I'll have to keep a closer eye. It hasn't stood out to me, but perhaps that's relative on a scale that includes Marty Kennedy who seriously needs a rocket.

I actually think Polar has been one of our better players in recent weeks. It's just his Shane Webcke esque habit to lose the ball that's hurting him at this point.

Bruce123

Juniors
At the end of the day griffin has to go, over it...he should be publicly raped for the majority of shit decisions he he has made. He's brain dead

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I'll have to keep a closer eye. It hasn't stood out to me, but perhaps that's relative on a scale that includes Marty Kennedy who seriously needs a rocket.

I actually think Polar has been one of our better players in recent weeks. It's just his Shane Webcke esque habit to lose the ball that's hurting him at this point.

Agreed about Kennedy. Has been the most disappointing thing this season.

I wonder if he needs a rocket or he is just an average player now? If it's the latter the Roosters have really dodged a bullet...

Dazzat

First Grade
Agreed about Kennedy. Has been the most disappointing thing this season.

I wonder if he needs a rocket or he is just an average player now? If it's the latter the Roosters have really dodged a bullet...

It's becoming obvious why the Roosters preferred several rookies over Kennedy last year, and why they were comfortable with him leaving. Reminds of Neil Tierney - massive unit, small work rate, and gets dominated by smaller forwards.

oikee

Juniors
Agree 110% with you Bruce123.
It has taken a while to see, but having watched the game this year without the wrestling has now high-lighted something terrible.
The quality of the players is absolutely terribly.
Not only the Broncos, but most teams.
The Warriors game against the Storm was kindergarden quality.
They were running Ben Henry, a under 20's backrower in the centres and still won.

Here is a good way to see just how bad this quality of player we have settled on for the NRL really is, and you can compare and think about this yourself.

Alfie, Kevvie walters, Brad Thorn, Webkie and Petro, Campion.

Those guys made huge metres, nobody messed with them.

Steve Renouf, Hancock, Sailor, now compare any of those against Vidot, Maranta, Reed and Hoffman.

Mate they are not even in the same ballpark, they are reserves from a decade agho, anyone who say's otherwise is fooling themselves.

Have a look, compare players from the past to any teams now.

It works nearly right across the code, the Quality is shite.
Half the players now cant even hang onto a ball, never mind run with it.
Gordon Tallis, try to compare Gillett to him, no contest, Gordy would score tries running like a rampaging bull and belt the opposition into submission.
Gillett goes missing when the whips seem to get cracking.

user_nat

Coach
I think you need to take a look at some of the teams from the era of those players. There was always plenty of nuffies in the comp, what's new is we have more of them now.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Yeap real ball breaker this game. For once I was optimistic thinking we had this and wasn't put off by the start. The pendulum kept swinging all night.

I thought we were in the clear when Copley made a break with the minutes ticking down but that strip killed us apart from the flat out brain dead thinking towards the end. We just panicked instead of closing it down and keeping them down their end. I'd rather us instead of going for that field goal, dribbling it into the in-goal for a repeat set of six or even going for a try but at least keeping them in their own half. Yeah very easy to say in hindsight.

Hunt is still floundering with pin point kicks which is really hurting us. It's such a big part of our game and advantage to have someone who can dominate with the boot and steer us around the park, put us in a better position, release some of the pressure and friggin' close out matches! I can't remember the last time we had a 40/20? And don't give me that crap about Hunt being pressured blah blah happens to every designated kicker out there and most seem to handle it fine.

Enough waffle that was a great GI try. Loved the effort of Gillett's try also. Hannant was strong along with McCullough, Vidot. Hodges and just about the rest of the team in patches. Granville always gives us a spark when on. Kennedy was the worst and McGuire surprisingly nowhere near his best. Hard one to lose.

3. Gillett
2. Hannant
1. McCullough

oikee

Juniors
I think you need to take a look at some of the teams from the era of those players. There was always plenty of nuffies in the comp, what's new is we have more of them now.

Oh god, where do you start. Ricky Stuarts kicking game, Daley and Meninga, Bradley Clyde and then Lyons at Manly, Terry Lamb, Sterlo, Kenny, not to mention big no nonsense forwards like Gellispsie ,Tunks, Spud and Harragon, Brick with eyes and Johns.

I mean just think about Stuart, and that kicking duel.

Ben Hunt couldn't kick that far for a start, and he would probably get cramp trying to kick 4-5 kicks like that .
Dont try to kid yourself. The players we have running around the teams now are soft and useless.
Have a look at todays game, Raiders getting a cricket score put on them.
You be embarrassed to go back to Canberra if Ricky Stuart played that bad in his day.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
oikee you're being a bit harsh there. I was brought up watching all these guys as well and as good as they were the game today has changed a lot. Great games then but still a great contest today. Of course there's not that type of pig thuggery we used to enjoy and they used to get away with in the past but that's the times.

The pace of the game these days is practically full on from start to finish. Yeah ball handlings an issue but what these guys do today with flinging balls back in mid-air from dead ball lines and out of touch is something else. Never saw that type of athleticism in the past.

The pearl Renouff was a stand out for me along with Langer, and Karmichael Hunts returns were a special treat. Tallis was a handful and had blinders but did more than his dumb share of things on the field along with Thorn etc etc.

And I enjoy everyone being in the contest this year with every game up for grabs. There will always be blowouts in scores and bad matches but there were plenty of those from the "good ol' days".

There's good and bad things about todays footy but if you don't wanna watch well just turn it off. You can always keep those VHS highlights reels on constant replay:).

Latest posts