What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simon Dwyer is League's Secret Shame

brooksy19

Bench
I'm not opposed to that, but it's not very easy to implement.

How high would the premiums be for a few hundred NRL players to get injury cover, in an industry where players are engaged, several times in less than 2 hours, activities in the workplace that could seriously injure themselves?

The NRL isn't directly responsible. They are the governing body of one rugby league organisation, out of many in the country. It's the job of the body that governs the entire game in this country.

Not the NRL.

Every player, be it little Johnny in Under 13's playing for Tumbarumba or Cooper Cronk.

If this injury hadv'e happened in a test match, you wouldn't/couldn't blame the NRL.

It's a responsibility for the RLIF to implement and make law, so that every competition's governing body has a more adequate insurance system in place.

You make some fair points.

ARLC runs the NRL right? Does the RLIF run the ARLC ? Seems not.

BranVan3000

Coach
So you don't think they should be compensated for their injuries suffered by a sport that receives a billion dollar TV rights deal etc ?

They're already underpaid for their duties this just tops it off nicely.

I think there should be insurance for players

But no I think they should be helped to get back on their feet and help them reestablish their direction in life, and cover any medical costs regarding rehabilitation, after that they should be left to their own devices. Tigers have done a fine job in this situation. Dwyer may have a future in coaching because the Tigers have set him in that path. What more could they do?

If I get injured at my work, I may get a pay out related to injury compensation costs, medical bills, suffering etc. but it won't be huge and I will still need to be setting my own direction in life.

Expecting equivelant treatment to McKinnon for every player is ignoring the seriousness of his injury compared to the rest

betcats

Referee
People blow up(including me) when players chase $$ at another club or code but as some recent injuries have shown(Alex, Simon, Richie etc) their career and more can all be gone in a second and obviously these guys are garaunteed very little if that does happen.

brooksy19

Bench
The result is the same though, he can't play footy and is quite limited to jobs that he can perform with one working arm and hours per week (assumed) rehabbing the injury.

Not wanting to take anything away from the McKinnon case, but there just need to be a fund and more support.

I agree there is not scope for giving everyone a job for life, but some more structured support and player welfare sounds like is needed.

BranVan3000

Coach
The result is the same though, he can't play footy and is quite limited to jobs that he can perform with one working arm and hours per week (assumed) rehabbing the injury.

Not wanting to take anything away from the McKinnon case, but there just need to be a fund and more support.

I agree there is not scope for giving everyone a job for life, but some more structured support and player welfare sounds like is needed.

I just think the NRL has done well with McKinnon in extraordinary circumstance and it doesn't seem like there was any reason to step in with Dwyer when the Tigers have done a good job transitioning him into a different career. I mean what could the NRL do otherwise? I suppose a phone call would be nice but its just a courtesy

I believe Yow Yeh is being taken care of as well. Daniel Conn seems to have been thrown out the back door. But from what I know he trains with the Rabbitohs boys and still wants to play NRL again one day. I'm not sure about Fa'aoso

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
The NRL relying on the goodwill of the clubs to look after any injured players could be a problem imo.

BranVan3000

Coach
Also why does this article act like Freddy Fittler is not a representative of the NRL? He is the coach of the city team and has brought along Dwyer in a professional capacity. And "has never forgotten him" in Dwyers words.

betcats

Referee
Also why does this article act like Freddy Fittler is not a representative of the NRL? He is the coach of the city team and has brought along Dwyer in a professional capacity. And "has never forgotten him" in Dwyers words.

Wouldnt that be the NSWRL then?

Joely01

Bench
Interesting point i read is about the salary cap.

With McKinnon i'm glad the Knights have resigned him on the deal they were offering him before the accident.

Now the Tigers cancelled Simons one after the injury due to salary cap pressure...

Now i hope the NRL can learn from this and come up with support for clubs who stick with the unfortunate player with such an unfortunate injury as the two i have mentioned and don't include the remaining length of the contract as part of the salary cap.
That way the club can buy a replacement, and continue to provide the income the player thought he would have for a certain amount of time, while planning his future with the club and NRL helping to organise this.

betcats

Referee
All under the same umbrella now, no?

Its a bit of a stretch to say that Brad Fitler bringing him into the city camp for one game a year is the NRL doing something, who emplys Fitler as the City coach? The NRL or the NSWRL?

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I believe the rep games Origin, City v Country are under the NSWRL, the test side is under the ARL.

I was of the opinion that the ARL presides over all the comps in Australia.

Chook

First Grade
This artificial outrage from the DT about Dwyer is nothing more than a another pot shot at the games current administration and appears to have sucked in quite a few posters.

Had the DT given one ounce of shit about Dwyer they would have been up in arms in the weeks and months after his injury and demanding the then administration do something about him. But they didn't.

They instead now use Dwyer and his situation as a patsy for hammering the current administration, the ARLC. And that people is a far lower act in the grand scheme of things.

Chook.

The question is where will the money come from for the insurance premium. Are we going to take it from the "future fund" which was being set aside to grown and enhance our game, or will it come from the salary cap (meaning the players effectively pay for it themselves). I'd suggest it should be a little of both.

El Diablo

Post Whore
This artificial outrage from the DT about Dwyer is nothing more than a another pot shot at the games current administration and appears to have sucked in quite a few posters.

Had the DT given one ounce of shit about Dwyer they would have been up in arms in the weeks and months after his injury and demanding the then administration do something about him. But they didn't.

They instead now use Dwyer and his situation as a patsy for hammering the current administration, the ARLC. And that people is a far lower act in the grand scheme of things.

Chook.

qft

News Ltd and especially the DT are a low organisation with no morals

Eddie Lab

Juniors

Chook.

100% correct. I particularly like this line

when cornered at City training on Thursday

so they ambushed Simon at his current role within the RL community.

I agree that all players that suffer career ending and life altering injuries should be looked after by the RL community. With the main focus on education, medical cover and possibly ambassador role or some other job if available. But this article is nothing more then DT having another dig at the NRL.

Keffola

Juniors
the negative spin in this article is ridiculous

but at least they admitted to it

"Simon Dwyer is rugby league’s secret shame. That isn’t him talking either — it’s us."

no name

Coach
the negative spin in this article is ridiculous

but at least they admitted to it

"Simon Dwyer is rugby league?s secret shame. That isn?t him talking either ? it?s us."

Who is us but?

Who is Walshaw claiming to be talking on behalf of?
Other Tele journos? The media? The whole RL community?

It's a bizarre line that he has written.

no name

Coach

Latest posts