What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Kent

Canard

Immortal
Yep, he mostly questioned the timing of the game - saying the NRL was going really well & how much he was enjoying it ( not the words of someone who "hates rugby league"). He said the NRL had gained momentum with a few bigger crowds & wanted to keep watching it rather than having the comp stopped for a game involving about 11 players who played in the NRL in Round 8.

I agree with natheeel & sydney knight though. In my opinion, the most recent article became too personal about a few players when explaining his thoughts & replying to what was said in social media. That's what will be remembered from the article.

That's what I object too, the " I only want to watch NRL and f**k internationals off " attitude.

That to me, isn't the opinion of a Rugby League fan.

oikee

Juniors
Sack Kent from 360, send a message that the game has had a gutful of bad reporting while our code is struggling to get bums on seats. Kent is the reason our code struggles.
All the negative stories over the last 10 years and we are paying for this every day in abuse from fans and non fans of the game every time somebody opens their mouth.

The media have turned the game into what it is, a game that cant say boo without negative reaction.
Kent wants his cake and eat it too,.

9 thousand at Penrith last night, thanks Kent ya moron.

Yep, he mostly questioned the timing of the game - saying the NRL was going really well & how much he was enjoying it ( not the words of someone who "hates rugby league"). He said the NRL had gained momentum with a few bigger crowds & wanted to keep watching it rather than having the comp stopped for a game involving about 11 players who played in the NRL in Round 8.

I agree with natheeel & sydney knight though. In my opinion, the most recent article became too personal about a few players when explaining his thoughts & replying to what was said in social media. That's what will be remembered from the article.

Soccer stops all the time for international weekends. There's little reason the same thing can't work in RL.

In fact I think having such a weekend(s) mid season helps shine more of a light on those games which in turn will benefit the NRL & rugby league in general in the long term.

Many people switch off after the GF , so having a mid season test makes sense for growth IMO.

Danish

Referee

Kent had not brought up this alleged enjoyment of the last 2 weeks of footy until he decided to use it as a basis for attacking league. His articles during the 2 weeks he was supposedly loving were all equally negative bullshit.

He is a f**kwit of the tallest order and the only difference between him an he likes of Rothfield is the drink and hatred hasn't taken its till physically and begun morphing him into an actual troll as get

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He ran on and ran off after the kickoff. The Eels were trying to qualify someone for the reserve grade semis. I think it might have been Jason Bell. The rule was if you started a certain number of FG games in the last 5 weeks you couldn't play lower grade semis. But if you came off the bench after 1 second it didn't count.,
It was Jason Bell, no wonder he still hates the Eels :lol:

oikee

Juniors
Kent had not brought up this alleged enjoyment of the last 2 weeks of footy until he decided to use it as a basis for attacking league. His articles during the 2 weeks he was supposedly loving were all equally negative bullshit.

He is a f**kwit of the tallest order and the only difference between him an he likes of Rothfield is the drink and hatred hasn't taken its till physically and begun morphing him into an actual troll as get

Wow, strong words and i agree with you, 200%.

Brutus

Referee
I am listening to this Kent tosser on Triple M now.

He continues to dig himself a grave.

God these Tele journos are toss pots.

oikee

Juniors
Most true league fans will watch any game of league. For Kent to come out and bag a game for two emerging rugby league playing nations shows he is driven by News Limited agendas rather than a genuine love of he game.

Can you imagine genuine league lovers like Andrew Voss or David Middleton ever saying they have no interest in watching an international? They love watching a game of B grade on wet Saturday afternoon.

I wish he'd step aside to give someone who loves the game a go.

Exactly, wise words Yoda.
We need to name and shame these wankers who put the sport down and get back our true lovers of the game, why is Voss a outcast, everyone at the World Cup in England couldn';t get enough of him. They loved him, we all love him and want him back.

ANDREW VOSS IS THE LEADER OF OUR CODE, IS THAT WHY HE IS A OUTCAST.

Our code hates to see it grow or succeed, beware our true code haters, they are amounst us.

FlameThrower

Bench
If Ch9 were serious to really shakeup the tired and lacklustre coverage, they'd retire Ray Warren, only have Gould for SOO and ditch Finch. Never have both Lockyer and Lewis on ANY Broncos coverage...and get Vossy back as lead caller. I would also limit Fitler or Johns to sideline commentary and NEVER both in same game, they get together sounds like two drunks out on the Saturday night down at the Cross..
I'd also like to see post game interview with coach/captain, don't no why Fox dropped that.

undertaker

Coach
For someone who is has been a journo for many years, I'm surprised that Kent slurs his words and stutters a lot. Maybe he went to the David "Ahhhhhhhhhh........ummmmmmmmm" Gallop school of public speaking.

He ran on and ran off after the kickoff. The Eels were trying to qualify someone for the reserve grade semis. I think it might have been Jason Bell. The rule was if you started a certain number of FG games in the last 5 weeks you couldn't play lower grade semis. But if you came off the bench after 1 second it didn't count.,

Wow, do you remember that game from 25 yrs ago? You've got a good memory (had a look at those stats, it was on Saturday so most likely was televised as the ABC's live Saturday arvo game).

And in the line-up, Jason Bell was on the bench so now that makes sense. Well, that was a somewhat brief 'first-grade' career he had:lol:

undertaker

Coach
I am listening to this Kent tosser on Triple M now.

He continues to dig himself a grave.

God these Tele journos are toss pots.

You forgot to add: how on earth do the Tele journos like James Hooper continue to score all these gigs on other tv/radio shows, time and time again?

Joely01

Bench
If Ch9 were serious to really shakeup the tired and lacklustre coverage, they'd retire Ray Warren, only have Gould for SOO and ditch Finch. Never have both Lockyer and Lewis on ANY Broncos coverage...and get Vossy back as lead caller. I would also limit Fitler or Johns to sideline commentary and NEVER both in same game, they get together sounds like two drunks out on the Saturday night down at the Cross..
I'd also like to see post game interview with coach/captain, don't no why Fox dropped that.

You realize this thread is about Paul Kent?

For someone who is has been a journo for many years, I'm surprised that Kent slurs his words and stutters a lot. Maybe he went to the David "Ahhhhhhhhhh........ummmmmmmmm" Gallop school of public speaking.

Wow, do you remember that game from 25 yrs ago? You've got a good memory (had a look at those stats, it was on Saturday so most likely was televised as the ABC's live Saturday arvo game).

And in the line-up, Jason Bell was on the bench so now that makes sense. Well, that was a somewhat brief 'first-grade' career he had:lol:

I don't remember the game but I remember Parra and probably other teams did this a bit when winning a lower grade grand final still had some prestige. If I remember correctly Kent was injured and couldn't play any grade so stood near the sideline and as soon as the ball was kicked he stepped off the field. Hope he didn't get paid or if he did at least only pro rata pay for 1 second

I remember hearing about MG going after him in the Central Coast comp after Kent wrote some derogatory articles

undertaker

Coach

In Australia, the media has always had this fixation that someone who was great in their sport automatically makes them a great commentator or media personality. WRONG! A great athlete doesn't make one a great commentator or a great communicator of knowledge.

Just take a look at the tv coverage of a MLB/NFL/NHL/NBA match in the U.S. Their broadcasts are so much more professional than the NRL's coverage. And at least the ex-players that do feature in commentary are fluent in speech and know how to talk properly rather than people like Scott Prince who speak like a 6 year old (in fact, most 6 year old's could probably speak better). In the AFL, I heard it is mandatory for the players to undergo media training, which probably explains why the players that do feature prominently on their Footy Shows don't ummmmmm and ahhhhh their way through sentences all the time. The NRL should introduce something similar, rather than continue to embarrass themselves picking random people who have no idea how to talk properly in front of camera.

Regarding your point on Fittler and Johns, they are undoubtedly in the top 5 players from the past 20 years (alongside Daley, Langer and Lockyer), but I agree, a big mistake having them both together in the same commentary team. To his credit (and I may appear biased as a Knights supporter), Johns has improved a lot since he started featuring regularly on Ch9's game-day broadcasts in 2008. I remember he was terrible on camera in his early days as a commentator and was not naturally gifted on camera compared to his brother, but yeah, partner him alongside Freddy and.....I see what you're saying.

As for Rabs, I agree that he is past it and has had a dramatic decline since the start of the last tv rights deal (2007) when the two Friday night game format was introduced, but I'd much prefer him on air if Raaaaaaaaaaay Hadley is his replacement. I guess it's a case of 'the better of the two devils' so to speak. Despite my dislike for him as a person, Raaaaaaaaaaaay is a good radio caller. However, he is a terrible tv caller. In terms of tv commentary, Vossy craps all over Raaaaaaay.

Gus was good when he was partnered alongside Vossy to call games before Raaaaaay took Vossy's spot in 2012. There was none of this contrived "two old men in a nursing home" routine that he has engaged in with Rabs over the last few years. Gus was more focused on the game when alongside Vossy. Gus's downfall is when he goes off on a tangent and gets hung up on all these agendas and petty issues.

Lockyer and Lewis = both great players for QLD. Lockyer needs to have something done to his voice. Lewis still commentates like he's reading the news bulletin. I remember watching a live stream on the internet last year of the Parramatta vs Gold Coast game in Mudgee, where the camera still kept rolling through all the commercial breaks. Lewis only had to do the half-time report, which went for about 30-45 seconds and took him so many takes. Also, his hands were shaking all the time as well. Needs to relax more. However, if you thought Fatty Vautin's commentary during Origin was bad all those years ago, Lewis' performance last year takes the cake with his constant yelling and cheering in the box. If you want to support your team, go ahead and doing it in a seat alongside all the other supporters in the ground, but commentary was not the place to do it, and it made Ch9's broadcast of one of the most watched tv programs in Australia look very amateur with all that crap. Lockyer and Lewis are only employed at Ch9 on the basis that they were both great players during their RL careers and get along very well with the other Ch9 RL personnel, and nothing more than that. In other words, jobs for the boys. They definitely would not get a start on any U.S. sports broadcast.

Finch is crap (his segment on The Footy Show is also crap. They should've given it to someone like Yvonne Sampson, who did a fantastic job on her interview with Will Hopoate) and his days in the media are numbered, so I'm not too worried about him.