What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2014 Playing Roster

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Top 25 as you well know is just the clubs 25 highest paid players.
Maybe the Chairmans upgrade moved Santi out or did we previously have 26 in our top 25?

The Chairman was upgraded (or at least extended) at about the time Harrison (who was top 25) left the club. I am only making the assessment that he was brought into the open slot in the top 25.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It isnt official until seasons end. The best guess is put forward in season previews - but all the sub minimum guys getting match payments will mean some churn at the bottom end.

Untrue. The actual dollar amounts paid for match payments in that year are not directly related to the player's value under the cap for the same year.

The value under the cap is determined before the season starts and doesn't change no matter how many games he receives match payments for. This is because it's calculated on games played the previous year.

Which is why a genuine first grader who missed most/all of the previous season (e.g. Willie Tonga) is a great candidate for match payments, though sometimes not (e.g. Israel Folau).

oldmancraigy

Coach
Untrue. The actual dollar amounts paid for match payments in that year are not directly related to the player's value under the cap for the same year.

The value under the cap is determined before the season starts and doesn't change no matter how many games he receives match payments for. This is because it's calculated on games played the previous year.

Which is why a genuine first grader who missed most/all of the previous season (e.g. Willie Tonga) is a great candidate for match payments, though sometimes not (e.g. Israel Folau).

I'm pretty sure I told you that?? :lol:

Good point!!

Gazzamatta

Coach
Looking forward to my free coffee.
I wonder if the team will be marched out like norty schoolboys again. What a class act that Spagnolo was.
Please oh please no questions like,
"Why dont the players wave to us at fulltime".
How embarassment. Always a fun night.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Santi has exercised his clause! Or probably not, but he's goneskis anyway, so here's an update:

NRL squad:
Allgood
Edwards *
Faraimo *
Gower
Hayne
Hopoate
Hunt
Kelly
Lasalo *
Loko
Lussick
Mannah
Ma'u
Ma'afu *
Moimoi
Morgan
Mossop
Norman
Pauli (turns 20) *
Paulo
Paulo
Peats
Pewhairangi *
Radradra *
Sandow
Sio
Smith
Tanginoa (turns 20)
Terepo
Tonga
Toutai

* denotes probable second tier contract (i.e. a senior squad player outside the top 25)

'Wenty squad':
Alvaro *
Cummins *
Evans *
Foran *
Gorman *
Jones *
Ualesi *

NYC squad:
Aloiai (turns 19)
Anderson (turns 19)
Aukofolau (turns 19)
Brady
Bush (turns 19)
Daoud
Davis (turns 19)
Dockar-Clay (turns 19)
Folau
Goodall
Izzard (turns 19)
Kaufusi (turns 19)
Lavaka
Li
Lussick (turns 19)
Makelim
Markus (turns 19)
Matterson
Mauala
Moeroa (turns 19)
Muna (turns 19)
Newbigging
Pritchard
Pua (turns 19)
Raeli (turns 19)
Roe (turns 19)
Suli (turns 19)
Tagilima
Tepu-Smith (turns 19)
Tonga (turns 19)

Last edited:

B&G

Juniors
The NRL squad is prop heavy. With Mannah re-signing I don't think there's a need to bring in another prop, even assuming that Moimoi departs.

I like the idea of Mannah and Lussick starting. One gives good go forward and the other is more potent in defence. Then you can bring Paulo/Terepo and Allgood/Gower off the bench to maintain that combo.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah, it definitely seems more a case of getting the mix right than just starting your best two and replacing them with prop three and four.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How about when Clive Churchill used to say "You need your best two props in the 17, but that doesn't mean you need them off the field at the same time. Also, middle half."

Tommy Coco

Juniors
Why would Parra have Kelepi and Pauli in our top 25. Can't they be paid top flight contracts but in a different cap (U20's), I presume it doesn't work like this?

I ask because Kaysa is a 20's contract supposedly, and he is probably at the same fringe level as these two?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If the player appears in the under 20s he has to count under the NYC salary cap (which is pretty low), unless he is in the club's top 25 (like Tanginoa).

Latest posts