What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Travel Thread

Dutchy

Immortal
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/barclays-cycle-hire

Costs f**k all, just use a credit/chip/travel card. Price stays pretty much nothing all day as long as you keep stopping at dock stations.

The cheapest/free option for the day is make sure you dock every 30 mins (there are stations everywhere) wait a few mins, swipe your card and off you go again (free as long as its no more than 30 again etc)

Alternatively, every time you see a full docking station, go to the machine and say you want do dock, you'll gain a bonus 15 minutes.

Dragon2010

First Grade
Flights to US finally booked and confirmed.

Plan is fly out two weeks early, spend a week in LA doing what I want, then fly out to Montana (Where I'm studying) and have two weeks before classes start to settle in and also do whatever I want there. Planning a Boston trip in November as well, go watch me some NFL. Might even try fly out in August and get some MLB action.

LESStar58

Referee
Has anybody hired a car in the USA? I'm thinking about it to get to a couple of places.

do you need an international driving permit?

Misanthrope

Staff member
I have hired a car in the US, but it was paid for by my website and I had a Yank to drive it for me. Not sure I'm able to shed any light at all :lol:

StormChaser

First Grade
I'm going to the US this year too!! Also, traveling with a friend who gets flat out, balls to the wall, panic attacks from flying. She may cause an international incident. Fun.

LESStar58

Referee
Keen as all f**k to go up to Fort Worth to see Merle Haggard play. About 3hrs in a busrfrom Austin. Could go to see him in San Antonio which is closer but the Fort Worth show is at Billy Bobs! So keen!!!!!!

Red Bear

Referee
Drove from Jackson hole to yellowstone to cody wyoming. Was fine. Got f**ked by fee for dropping car at a dif airport though (was meant to fly in/out of cody, missed flight to cody because connecting flight was massively delayed).

t-ba

Post Whore
Anyone with a ticket to Thailand should reconsider things.

Short term, curfew from 10pm-5am.

Long term - Mass Bloodshed.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yeah I'm concerned. I've only got like 5 days in Phuket in August but I dunno. I do have mates in Penang who say Phuket hasn't changed a bit, but the situation is a fair bit different now. Gonna have to watch it closely for a few weeks I reckon

butchmcdick

Immortal
Yeah I'm concerned. I've only got like 5 days in Phuket in August but I dunno. I do have mates in Penang who say Phuket hasn't changed a bit, but the situation is a fair bit different now. Gonna have to watch it closely for a few weeks I reckon

I'll let you know

I am in Phuket for the next week

Just had three days in Bangkok.

t-ba

Post Whore
South Thailand is pretty firmly aligned with the anti-government forces. I can't see the problems reaching that far anytime soon. But still, the curfew might ruin things. Bangla road only gets interesting after 10pm!

Red Bear

Referee
Well, in 3 months time I will be in Madison Wisconsin as I am heading to a festival about 2 hours north of there in a little town called Sprague and decided I should go to Chi-town for a few days before I go and gourge myself on copious amounts of cheese.

My dad went to Chicago 2 or 3 times on business when he worked for Unilver and he raved about it. Splashing out there (spending close to $600 on a hotel in the North River Neighborhood for 3 nights) and want to do the ferry/architechture tour. Chicago from Lake Michigan looks stunning!

Also just want go walkabout, see bands, hang out in bars. Prior to Chicago I will be in Nashville for 4 nights (including 4th of July!) and I'll be drunk in dive bars for the majority of the time. I've never been to the states and this is the first time I've travelled on my own and I'm 34 years old. I cannot flucking wait!
Chicago was great. I was only there for four days but loved it. I'd recommend going to a ball game at Wrigely, great venue, and should be able to find cheap tickets because the Cubs are shithouse. Afternoon game from the Bleachers. Went to the Field museum, was pretty impressive, better mix of for adults than some others i've been to.

There's a viewing deck at John Hancock building but if you go to the floor above it you get a restaurant where you can have a beer and get the same view, minus the cost of actually going to the viewing deck, pretty good. About 95 floors up as well.

If you can find the DOugnut Vault, dollar coffee + donuts at a little hole in the wall place, it's pretty great. Deep dish pizza, general atmosphere, enjoyable lakeside. Love to go back there

Misanthrope

Staff member
Between Thailand's ongoing political troubles and the fact they've recently changed their visa rules to make it much harder for a foreigner to base themselves there digital nomad style, I daresay it's off the "Places for Misanthrope to live in 2015" list.

Thank God I found the Philippines.

LESStar58

Referee
Chicago was great. I was only there for four days but loved it. I'd recommend going to a ball game at Wrigely, great venue, and should be able to find cheap tickets because the Cubs are shithouse. Afternoon game from the Bleachers. Went to the Field museum, was pretty impressive, better mix of for adults than some others i've been to.

There's a viewing deck at John Hancock building but if you go to the floor above it you get a restaurant where you can have a beer and get the same view, minus the cost of actually going to the viewing deck, pretty good. About 95 floors up as well.

If you can find the DOugnut Vault, dollar coffee + donuts at a little hole in the wall place, it's pretty great. Deep dish pizza, general atmosphere, enjoyable lakeside. Love to go back there

Thanks mate. All notd anf Hancock is on my to do list. And Navy Pier!

Think im looking forward to the middle of my trip (Nashville and Chicago) the most.

Red Bear

Referee
I Think I was only below 0.05 for about 15 minutes of my time in Nashville. Holy sheet. Blues and Boogie bar a must in Nashville