What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Superthread LXVI: Honouring Whinging Dragons Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Nice pic on Facebook, thorson. The one with you and your kid at the footy. Quite heart warming :)

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Worth a read:

http://gizmodo.com/the-antarctic-ice-sheet-has-started-to-collapse-and-not-1575164209?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

For decades, scientists have feared the collapse of the West Antarctic ice sheet—a vast swath of ice that could unleash a slow but unstoppable 10-foot rise in sea levels if it melted. So here is today's terrible news: we now know the ice sheet is melting. And there's pretty much nothing we can do about it.

The accelerating collapse of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet is reported by two different teams of scientists, in the journals Science and Geophysical Research Letters. Its collapse has been predicted for decades, most prominently by glaciologist John Mercer, but this is the first tangible evidence that it's actually now happening. Warmer waters are most likely responsible for the melting.

The Antarctic Ice Sheet Has Started to Collapse and Nothing Can Stop It

The Thwaites Glacier on the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. Credit: NASA

The New York Times explains why the position of the ice sheet makes it especially vulnerable to runway melting:

The basic problem is that much of the West Antarctic ice sheet sits below sea level in a kind of bowl-shaped depression [in] the earth. As Dr. Mercer outlined in 1978, once the part of the ice sheet sitting on the rim of the bowl melts and the ice retreats into deeper water, it becomes unstable and highly vulnerable to further melting
This is no longer just speculation or the plot of a blockbuster film. "This is really happening," NASA's Thomas P. Wagner emphasized to the New York Times. "There's nothing to stop it now."

The relative good news is that the melting will take place over a few hundred years—so take a breath—but it means an inevitable 10-foot rise in sea level. That's enough to engulf large tracts of coast all over the world. Plan accordingly, humans.

To see what sea level rise of 10 feet would mean, check out Climate Central's Surging Seas interactive.

Bulldog Force

Referee

I don't know how this is relatively good news...

The relative good news is that the melting will take place over a few hundred years?so take a breath?but it means an inevitable 10-foot rise in sea level. That's enough to engulf large tracts of coast all over the world.

So just because it's over a few hundred years it's good?

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

it's all about water displacement theory (archimedes principle) - where when you put something into a body of water, an equal amount of water disperses to cover the area this new object has taken up..

water3.GIF

keeping the above in mind, i'm of the ever growing suspicion that the rising sea levels are caused by a combination of human activity, such as:

- building bigger boats and more of them,

maersk01.jpg

- as well as activities such as reclaiming land,
eg holland / northern europe:

land-reclamation-on-the-north-sea-coast-map.jpg

dubai:

20_bz_coast_universe_5.img_assist_custom.jpg

- and increasing amounts of rubbish in the ocean:

boat_1867948c.jpg

hell, even underwater volcanos play their part..

so next time any of you hipsters are going to balmain for a craft beer at the pub, and are debating taking the bus or the ferry, go the bus..

someone over the other side of the world will thank you for doing your little bit to stop water displacement..

hmm... i thinks i can make me some money out of this.. if tim flannery can do it, so can i..

Misanthrope

Staff member
I had a dream that my mate was getting married to a packet of Jelly Belly and I was the best man. I shit you not.

I got in trouble for missing the 5am wedding trying to fix my iPad.

Bulldog Force

Referee
This is quite shocking. It's actually a sticker on the back of the ute. Not a funny pic, therefore not posting it in that thread:

1969383_10152351934717702_2548094652254148741_n.jpg

Bazal

Post Whore
It comes down, eventually, to the natural state of flux in the sea levels. Our biggest error wasn't anything to do with pollution. It was being drawn to the coast. Some of these coastlines didn't exist a few hundred thousand years ago, some sea level change is inevitable. That said ten foot is hyperbole IMO.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
This is quite shocking. It's actually a sticker on the back of the ute. Not a funny pic, therefore not posting it in that thread:

1969383_10152351934717702_2548094652254148741_n.jpg

agree, it's not funny at all... he's done well to place the majority of the weight of the load in the tray over the axles, however the position of the shovel is dangerous, as it's not secured and will quite easily shift around when taking a corner..

thank you for doing your bit of ute safety, BF.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Climate change deniers....lol. If you don't believe in man made climate change you can add up every stupid post I've ever made, combine them, multiply them by ten thousand and it's not equal to the stupidity of having your head in the sand when it comes to climate change.

Scientists from 100 different countries are apparently all corrupt, but Big Coal and Big Oil certainly wouldn't have any ulterior motives when they fight climate change action.

I had a dream that my mate was getting married to a packet of Jelly Belly and I was the best man. I shit you not.

I got in trouble for missing the 5am wedding trying to fix my iPad.
A packet of Jelly Belly would make a good bride IMO.
So just because it doesn't/won't affect us directly it automatically makes it good news? Nice one...

Do you understand what "relatively" means? Civilisation ending disaster being 100 years away is relatively good news compared to it being 10 years away.

BunniesMan

Immortal
agree, it's not funny at all... he's done well to place the majority of the weight of the load in the tray over the axles, however the position of the shovel is dangerous, as it's not secured and will quite easily shift around when taking a corner..

thank you for doing your bit of ute safety, BF.

Wow. New low. Firstly, you derped, it's not actually a real woman, it's an image designed to play tricks on the mind. Secondly, if it was real, that you think the major detail worth discussing is how the weight is positioned and not the fact that there's an unconscious and detained woman in someones truck is frankly disgusting and misogynistic.

Bazal

Post Whore
Climate change deniers....lol. If you don't believe in man made climate change you can add up every stupid post I've ever made, combine them, multiply them by ten thousand and it's not equal to the stupidity of having your head in the sand when it comes to climate change.

Scientists from 100 different countries are apparently all corrupt, but Big Coal and Big Oil certainly wouldn't have any ulterior motives when they fight climate change action.

A packet of Jelly Belly would make a good bride IMO.

Do you understand what "relatively" means? Civilisation ending disaster being 100 years away is relatively good news compared to it being 10 years away.
Gullible, easily terrified people like you are a bigger problem than deniers. Anyone who denies anything without evidence or basis is an idiot. And anyone who blindly accepts something is just as bad. The problem is not whether the climate is changing, it's why it's happening and whether we can actually do anything about it. It's nothing but human arrogance to think we can alter or control nature.

ek999

First Grade
Wow. New low. Firstly, you derped, it's not actually a real woman, it's an image designed to play tricks on the mind. Secondly, if it was real, that you think the major detail worth discussing is how the weight is positioned and not the fact that there's an unconscious and detained woman in someones truck is frankly disgusting and misogynistic.

You are an idiot

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

don't be silly.. women can keep men in the back of their cars too, if they want..

see:

halloween-hand-in-car-trunk1.jpg

pretty sure that's a man's hand..

although the nails suggest possibly not?

Status
Not open for further replies.