What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hamilton Island

JoeD

First Grade
Anybody been? Thoughts?

I'm looking for a tropical destination, good for kids, close to beach/snorkelling. Large group so want to be able to rent a house close to beach.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
top spot, top dollar

there are much cheaper places to stay in the Whitsundays, especially if you are taking rugrats with you

Zadar

Juniors
I just got back from there last week.

Type in whitsundays holiday accommodation, heaps of places with 1,2,3 bedroom available. Most will include a 4 seater buggy. Can be pricey, but just gotta play it smart, buy roast chooks for sandwiches and you can always cook your own breaky, dinner, they usually have a kids eat free.

Snorkeling off catseye beach is good, plus canoeing and paddle boarding, more extreme is jet boating, quad bikes, jet skiing.

Been there twice and much more enjoyable than a daydream island or long island, as you have a marina with a pub and some good restaurants.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I prefer Airlie Beach, then you can Island hop to which ever takes your fancy, I enjoyed snorkeling @ Hook Island, herd fish on Whitehaven Beach was cool too.

Lots more choice @ Airlie.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I went a few years ago. Will be later this year for a friends wedding.

I loved it, was good relaxing fun. Good restaurants. Has some night life sorta. Beach goes out for ages, only going to waist height. I ended up snorkelling the great barrier reef which was amazballs.

I would get bored if I was there for more than a week.

You need to go at the right time of year too, otherwise you'll have to wear a full body wet suit to avoid the jelly fish.

SGID

First Grade
Been there a few times. Too exxy and overated for my liking. Much rather go O/S especially if taking kids.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Sth Molle caters for kids pretty well, they'll even take them off your hands for the day while you play tourist and their activities for the kids are first class, your kids will never be bored.

Depends on how old your kids are I guess but may pay to google Sth Molle Is.

There are some real cheapies like Happy Bay, Long Island but like all other things you get what you pay for.

You may want to investigate staying in Airlie and Island hopping then you get the best of both worlds but then there is jack shit for kids in Airlie.

the beavers

Juniors
For the cost of Hamilton u could probably go to Fiji...they always seem to have lots of kids specialsetc in paper
We found Hamilton and daydream very expensive despite things like included breakfasts...

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
For the cost of Hamilton u could probably go to Fiji...they always seem to have lots of kids specialsetc in paper
We found Hamilton and daydream very expensive despite things like included breakfasts...

That was our logic last year. We were going to go to Fiji, then thought pay a bit extra and go to Hawaii. It was a great move. Fiji is very much 3rd world apparently and Hawaii is just beautiful.

JoeD

First Grade
Thanks guys, been to Fiji and am a kiwi so the whitsundays are an overseas holiday. Plus the flights go thru Brisbane so we can do the theme park thing off a couple days on the way through. Really wanted somewhere (like parts of Fiji) where you could snorkel straight off the beach and see some good coral pretty easy. Will check out Sth Molle Is

Haffa

Hayman was good for a holiday with and without the kids but its become a little more exclusive since I was there for a "without the kids" trip there last year.

Zadar

Juniors
I prefer Airlie Beach, then you can Island hop to which ever takes your fancy, I enjoyed snorkeling @ Hook Island, herd fish on Whitehaven Beach was cool too.

Lots more choice @ Airlie.

Island hopping ain't cheap though, over $100 p/p.

Eion

First Grade
Pros: options for restaurants are good, heaps of activities.
Cons: there's a fair 'bogan by the pool' element, and exy for what u get.

U might want to consider daydream. Great for kids.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Island hopping ain't cheap though, over $100 p/p.
Fair Point.

I have done the Island thing, Tangalooma in Brisbane, was fun, feed a dolphin, quad biked on saand, helicopter ride, snorkel the wrecks, but compared to Airlie and Island hoping, is restrictive.

Give kids a beach they are happy.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Pros: options for restaurants are good, heaps of activities.
Cons: there's a fair 'bogan by the pool' element, and exy for what u get.

U might want to consider daydream. Great for kids.

you can walk around Daydream in about 20 minutes. Its so small that you can do everything in a few hours and you can get bored there very quickly.

Good for honeymoons where you dont need to get out much because there really aint that much to do there.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Fair Point.

I have done the Island thing, Tangalooma in Brisbane, was fun, feed a dolphin, quad biked on saand, helicopter ride, snorkel the wrecks, but compared to Airlie and Island hoping, is restrictive.

Give kids a beach they are happy.

I enjoyed Tangalooma, good for a quick few days away. Any longer and you would get bored quickly. That said, easy to get to.

Eion

First Grade
you can walk around Daydream in about 20 minutes. Its so small that you can do everything in a few hours and you can get bored there very quickly.

Good for honeymoons where you dont need to get out much because there really aint that much to do there.

Yeah the kids would want to be little. Was there for 5 days with a 5&7 year old. Did snorkelling, hired a tinny for the day, they have an open air cinema and a big open air aquarium thingy the kids get a kick out of. Plus big pools, kid park and roos hopping about. There was heaps for the little ones for that length of time.

But if the kids are getting into early teens, or you're with a group that want to get on the grog probably not ideal.

Thomas

First Grade
I grew up in the region and did a fair bit of sailing around there as a kid. It's amazing how much it's changed. I went up there with my family in 2012 to spread my mum's ashes off Border Island. We stayed at Casuarina (a group of 2-story villas). We shared the cost between my dad and my sister's family so it ended up being quite reasonable.

If you can get a grocery order in, I can highly recommend that. Sure, it's more expensive than normal supermarket stuff but way cheaper than eating out. Make sure you get a buggy as well. We're going to hire a second one when we go back.

Can highly recommend it.

STG 002

First Grade
I just got back from Hamilton on Tuesday, was up there for a week.

Firstly get your airfares on Jetstar - cheapest by a mile. Check the seasons though as no deals during schools hols. we got 69 pp one way from SYD so 690 all up for my family of 5.
today Jetstar has 2 for 1's I think its 159 one way for 2 pax.
go to Hamilton island homes and check out homes there. homes all include a buggy.
all the hotels based around the main resort do not. u want a buggy.
the kids stay and eat free is main thing.
half a dozen restaurants give kids free meals, eat at those (but u only get these if you book through Hamilton island website or stay in the main resort.
http://www.hihh.com.au/

Best paces to eat are Coca Chu, Reef Terrace Restaurant around the pool of the Reef Towers and Sails in the main resort pool area. You will pay $60 or $70 and the kids are foc. The Animal Park thing is ok - food is average but does a Friday night and Saturday night buffet (average bbq food for $35 per adult - kids foc) and followed by a night tour of the zoo for the nocturnal animals - well worth it)

not sure how old your kids are but if u book any tours - do not take the kids into the office when u book them.
kids are foc if they are 3 or under. last year this was 4 and under. massive diff for the prices charged.
if your kids are even close to 5 or under - just say they are 3. when u get to your tour - no one cares and just takes your ticket.
I have a 7 / 5 and 4 year old. I said I had a 7 and 2 x 3 year olds. save me almost $200.
you have to go to Whitehaven beach - I did the full day tour to Whitehaven and Daydream as reasonable value and great day out on the water.
Daydream is abit old but worth hanging at for half a day. see the wallabies running around and the pools are great for the kids. the tours includes a meal there.

Before you get to Hamilton - do a Coles online shop and it will deliver to your door (probably best for the day after you arrive.) this will save you a fortune as the general store is a complete rip off.
Alcohol cannot be ordered online so take spirits with you - basic beers only on the island - 6 packs are around $23.00 (standard stuff though)

Best Hamilton Island Homes to stay at - Shorelines. If you have 3 or more kids - it wont suit it only has 2 bedders and one will be on the couch.
We stayed at Oasis - high up on the hill but was had an ant problem. I would not recommend it.

Main resort looks ok but remember does not include a buggy. u want a buggy.
it is also quite expensive. all water sports are free if you stay in Hamilton Island Home as well.

I hope this helps a bit. Worth going to - maximum 5 nights.
Best of luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts