What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ropati retires

vvvrulz

Coach
Ropati's best years were in the late 2000s and he was up there with the best of them at times in that phase of his career.

But he was pretty average after that, injuries of course didn't help but he was past it.
I think his contributions off the field really stand out as well, people only say good things about him as a mentor etc. Hopefully then he sticks around in that sort of support role.

reykaine

Juniors
Phil Gould: "No no no no no! Is Cleary still breathing?" Witt.....

Knew the day was coming for Ropati. Not our best centre by a long way but up there and pretty good utility value. I remember when he had to play at FB for a few games cause of injuries in the squad and he played bloody well.

MKEB...

Staff member
Will remember with fondness his nailing Joel Clinton wwhen we played the Broncos.
And Andrew Johns jaw gatting broken on his noggin.

vvvrulz

Coach
Phil Gould: "No no no no no! Is Cleary still breathing?" Witt.....

I didn't mind Witt generally, but this was a brain explosion of epic proportions.

Imagine if the idiot actually had the ball kicked away by Cam Smith, it was a *very* close thing.

sup42

Juniors
We don't make too many of our own like Ropati.

The guy didn't know when to give up.

Hopefully we'll have another like him one day.

Mentally tough as nails.

sup42

Juniors
The Warriors have failed in many tests of Loyalty.

Ropati was not one of them. As such he served as a credibility weathervane for the club and it's relationship with players.

Many wanted Ropati released.

The enduring legacy of that player.....in a time of un paid third party agreements polluting the the NRL....finicky coaching decisions.......Ropati stands as beacon to local players......If you give everything you have to the Warriors you will be acknowledged.

You can't buy that sort of reputation. You have to build it over the course of time.

The Warriors did themselves a favor with player agents , players union representatives in NZ by making themselves a ' life beyond playing ' opportunity employer for legends of the NZ game.

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Thought of Oz sitting on a hill overlooking the farm and barn animals, contemplating his fav JoRo calling it quits, pained look on his face as he remembers all those great moments........

2 minutes later off to feed the chooks.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Thought of Oz sitting on a hill overlooking the farm and barn animals, contemplating his fav JoRo calling it quits, pained look on his face as he remembers all those great moments........

haha.

Only takes 2 minutes to remember THAT try and THAT tackle

Iafeta

Referee
Well done Jerome. I think his running from dummy half or charging at a sliding centre are much underestimated. Highlights include the 4 try demolition job on the Roosters, starring at fullback against Parra and I think Brisbane in efforts that'd make Tomkins blush, and the 66 to blot demolition of Souffs complete with the "ain't no party like a Jerome Ropati" chant. Outstanding servant of the club and the game.

Ive never really thought highly of him as a player, but he is regarded as a legend around the club, the ultimate clubman

Ill give him credit though everytime hes gone down hurt hes bounced back

ozbash

Referee

:shock:

A day tinged with emotion, for sure.

luckily, the chooks weren't hungry..:cool:

WithTheDawn

Juniors
I remember meeting Ropati before a game at the SFS a few years back, he was helping to hand out members packs and things. Really top block, actually came out of his way to come talk to us. Such a fantastic player in his prime who has had some terrible luck with injury of late. I certainly hope he continues to be involved with the club after this year.

One Warrior

Bench
Formed a great combination with Manu in his prime, helped Manu to many of his trys, a great team man and fully deserves an ongoing role with the club. Will never forget Witt's try in 2008 vs Melbourne, Ropati's role in it and Ray Warren's commentary "Ropati a fend on Folau .. a pass to Vatuvei ... Witt, Michael Witt ... put the ball down son", truly epic.

Latest posts