What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the Roosters release SKD once Blake Ferguson is signed to an NRL contract?

If the NRL allows Blake Ferguson to join the Roosters playing ranks, what should be done about Shaun Kenny-Dowell?

Fact is that Ferguson will have his greatest impact as a centre, and SKD could be put on the wing (which is his best position anyway). However Nene McDonald complicates things. He is destined to be a super star, as either centre or winger. The Roosters must retain the PNG kid. He is obviously a better player than SKD. However SKD has been a loyal club member for years. He played most of the 2013 Grand Final with a broken jaw. It is hard to let him go. However the Roosters will have Moga as backup in the centres or on the wing.

A big dilemma. So what should Uncle Nick do about SKD if he gets Blake Ferguson and retains Nene McDonald?

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Kid's played one game & he's "obviously a better player" than a premiership winning, international centre..:lol:

IMO we should re-sign SKD. Its clear he's not the most talented centre out there, but every time he plays you can see that he bleeds Red, White and Blue. His Grand Final heroics will win him a place in my Roosters team until he completely loses his ability. Ferguson will most likely be signed for 2015, so at full strength our back line should look like this:

1. Tuivasa-Sheck
2. Tupou
3. Jennings
4. Ferguson
5. Kenny-Dowall

If we have to let go of one of Moga or Macdonald, then so be it. But honestly i would prefer to keep both of them and not sign Ferguson (we don't need him, high chance he will f*ck up again)

LOL

First time ever Albert Rosenfeld has heard of Nene MacDonald and all of a sudden he's "complicating things" smh

Flipper Hands SKD couldn't catch a cold in Siberia but through all of his epic derps he's still ours and never once can I recall him playing at less than his all, why should he be gone for a guy who blatantly didn't give a f**k at his last 2 clubs? Forget the sexual assault look at his personal assault on the Raiders especially, the guy straight up gave up on them. I'll take the guy who breaks his jaw in the biggest game of the year and "didn't want to let my team mates down" and finds himself in position to set up a come back win over the guy who goes AWOL for a few weeks at the end of a tough season.

Give it 2 years and Ferguson will walk out of the club if he doesn't get the sack. Massive mistake.

adamkungl

Immortal
^ What Tonearm said. Also :lol: Nene Macdonald won't be taking anyone's first grade spot for the moment. He's played 1 game..

Ozzy

First Grade
LOL

First time ever Albert Rosenfeld has heard of Nene MacDonald and all of a sudden he's "complicating things" smh

Flipper Hands SKD couldn't catch a cold in Siberia but through all of his epic derps he's still ours and never once can I recall him playing at less than his all, why should he be gone for a guy who blatantly didn't give a f**k at his last 2 clubs? Forget the sexual assault look at his personal assault on the Raiders especially, the guy straight up gave up on them. I'll take the guy who breaks his jaw in the biggest game of the year and "didn't want to let my team mates down" and finds himself in position to set up a come back win over the guy who goes AWOL for a few weeks at the end of a tough season.

Give it 2 years and Ferguson will walk out of the club if he doesn't get the sack. Massive mistake.

Chook

First Grade
SKD has been one of our best all year and you want to dump him for a kid who's played one game or a player who hasn't played any games in 18 months?

You're not smart enough to be a waste of space.

Chook.

morley101

Juniors
By the end of SKDs contract (2015) he will be the Roosters 2nd highest try scorer of all time if he stays on the field.

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors
gees dont bring this up again - last year SKD had to see the club over rumours he was to be traded to the Sharks for Ferguson. re-sign SKD Roosters

SKD is a good winger though not that fast. He is a poor centre who always runs crabwise across field instead of running forward.

You need to think of SKD as a possible competitor with Nene Macdonald for the wing spot being vacated in 2015 by Roger Tuivasa-Sheck.

But the salary cap may force the Roosters to release Shaun Kenny-Dowell.

I often laugh when I hear people postulating players should be released. Standard NRL contracts are guaranteed for their life, thus unless it is terminated early by mutual consent, if the club releases SKD then he has to be paid out the balance of his contract money for the remaining period of the contract. This payout counts against the salary cap.

Hence releasing him unilaterally this off season would not improve our salary cap position for 2015. In fact we would have the "dead" money of SKD's payout sitting on it.

For that reason alone, it is a daft idea in my opinion.

I often laugh when I hear people postulating players should be released. Standard NRL contracts are guaranteed for their life, thus unless it is terminated early by mutual consent, if the club releases SKD then he has to be paid out the balance of his contract money for the remaining period of the contract. This payout counts against the salary cap.

Hence releasing him unilaterally this off season would not improve our salary cap position for 2015. In fact we would have the "dead" money of SKD's payout sitting on it.

This. OP has NFI though, he said in another thread that Macdonald is accomplished at 5/8 in the 20's lol

If anyone leaves it is Moga

/thread.

Ozzy

First Grade

Obviously the OP isn't an accountant because he certainly can't balance the account.

H.H

Juniors
Been summed up well by the sane posters.

Just want to add my voice though to the concern around signing this drop kick ferguson.

Just don't understand why we'd take this risk. Moga and Milne will do me with the likes of Macdonald coming through not to mention our skids.

Baffling.

Yep Taane Milne is the one we need to keep hold of since our competition is rugby yawnion and he's looking better than Macdonald and Moga combined.

Rhyse Martin could be a centre option I guess. Not sure if they see him as a centre, backrower or even anything in the NRL.

If/when Ferguson comes it should see the end of Moga which will be sad. I would rather see Macdonald, Moga or even a stop gap solution for a year and spend the money on another forward.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I would HATE to see us lose Milne over the Fergo signing.

Perhaps it's a sign the club thinks he'll end up in Yawnion.

Fergo and Jennings are still both pretty young and you'd think, off-field dramas aside, will form our centre pairing for the next 4 seasons.

So I'm not sure where such a talent like Milne fits in.