What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quality of TV coverage

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I continually hear dribble from so called experts that one of the reasons for a dip in crowds is the quality of the channel 9 coverage, let's put this into perspective:

- Last night was the pinnacle for our game outside the GF, apart from the on field entertainment that was for the 100th game, we got the usual dribble pre game, some sideline interviews after the game and an interview with the MOM. Telecast lasted approx 3 hours.

- tonight the AFL had a Thursday night game, including a pre game show that matched SOO, and after the game they did onfield interviews, followed the players into the rooms for the team song and more interviews and also showed the press conference. I'm not sure what happened in the middle because the game bores the crap out of me. Coverage lasted over 3 1/2 hours (I accept the game goes for longer)

How can 9 carry on about their coverage when 7 standard AFL coverage is better than our biggest night of the year. There is nothing worse than watching your team win on a Friday night and as soon as the game finishes they cross to the kickoff for another game, I'd rather get some insight into the behind the scenes and soak up some of the victory, if we lose I can do the same as I do now and turn over.

Live game Friday night, live game Saturday night and live game Sunday 3:30 pm with a half hour wrap show leading into the 6 pm news should be the minimum. We had delayed Sunday games in the 80's except all you had to do was avoid he radio to not get the score.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Compared to the AFL there is less NRL on fta AND pay. On fta, 1 live game in heartland states compared to 4 live games nationwide. 5 games on Fox compared to every game live on Fox.

It's pathetic. Channel 9 is pathetic and the people who negotiated for the NRL are pathetic.

Seriously 1 live FTA game a week in heartland states is 20th century stuff. People should have been sacked for delivering that.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
the only way to fix it, TBH, is to affix a camera to every player (they can wire it up through the hodgkinson-bra) and let you chose which player's view you want to watch the game from..

you can pick the hayne view, where you see everything and are involved in the thick of the action...

the cronk view, which last night was pretty much like the standard tv view from the sidelines..

or you could have the mcqueen view, which is like watching the game in slow motion..

a multitude of opportunities...

channel 9 need to be onto this immediately, or they can't be taken seriously..

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ch9 are truly sad, Origin was ok, the rest is second rate compared to any sport, soccer, NHL, NFL.

Don't watch AFL, but fox promote thier investment.

CH9 ruin RL for the viewer, and do a dissevice to shareholders on thier investment.

Fox is much, much better at presenting and promoting the game.

NrlCoach

Juniors
Compared to the AFL there is less NRL on fta AND pay. On fta, 1 live game in heartland states compared to 4 live games nationwide. 5 games on Fox compared to every game live on Fox.

It's pathetic. Channel 9 is pathetic and the people who negotiated for the NRL are pathetic.

Seriously 1 live FTA game a week in heartland states is 20th century stuff. People should have been sacked for delivering that.
but we got 1B+

tumblr_mzmrm1aiZ61tp72e9o1_500.gif

Big Sam

First Grade
the only way to fix it, TBH, is to affix a camera to every player (they can wire it up through the hodgkinson-bra) and let you chose which player's view you want to watch the game from..

you can pick the hayne view, where you see everything and are involved in the thick of the action...

the cronk view, which last night was pretty much like the standard tv view from the sidelines..

or you could have the mcqueen view, which is like watching the game in slow motion..

a multitude of opportunities...

channel 9 need to be onto this immediately, or they can't be taken seriously..

GoPros for everyone!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
although souths games would be annoying.. the players would just be running round pointing at each other..

BunniesMan

Immortal
although souths games would be annoying.. the players would just be running round pointing at each other..

You'd be right on the Adam Reynolds cam. You'd love the front row seat as you watch a playmaking magician do his thing.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
rubbish.. watching adam reynolds cam you'd never get to see what actually happens at the line..

eozsmiles

Bench
FTA TV seems to pride itself on being pleb worthy. I find sports coverage in general to be simple, cliched, and repetitive. Put the two together and you get channel nines footy coverage.

I reckon one of the problems is nines idea of their demographic. I don't know what the breakdown is, but I think they reckon most viewers/fans are either 8 years old or over 50. Gus and Rabs tell stories about the likes of Gasnier and Langlands (which is cool sometimes, they're legends) every week, and most of the audience never saw them play. Rabs wouldn't know what twitter is, but I read a stat that something like 40-50% of sports viewers use twitter/Facebook etc to chat while the game is live. I don't think the presenters at nine understand the way many 20-40 year olds enjoy the game. Rabs makes references to race callers from the 60's FFS.

There is a whole group in the viewing market (I reckon it's a similar group that use sites like this, twitter, etc to follow footy) that channel nine don't get. Of course, not having much live content restricts the use social media has for them during broadcasts.

I'm only half interested in the preview/review shows some people like, similar to what is on Foxtel. It was interesting on Monday when Andy Raymond was pointing out all the sharks as they broke down in the warm up, but usually they just say the sun is out and it's 1-17. As a kid I would have loved it, I watched every minute I could. But nowadays I'd rather be on this site or twitter before/during a game than listen to Scott Prince or Tallis tell me the same stuff once again.

eozsmiles

Bench
Extending a 2 hour coverage to 3 hours is only good if the content is good. I follow people on twitter that follow AFL and they bag the commentators and hosts as much as we do. Putting an extra 30 minutes of crap on the end of a broadcast isn't too appealing. I don't really want Shirvo and Ennis telling me everything I just saw. But maybe with some decent presenters and analysts (Sterlo for example?) it would be good.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm amused that we in afl land get to watch NRL and SOO in HD and the heartlands are still stuck in 1990 SD!

One live game is ridiculous, I was really hoping fox were going to get same deal as afl and show every game live.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
This deal broke news corps 'first and last offer' stipulation.

For that and hat alone, the deal was a massive step forward.

Just reminding anyone who has forgotten this very important fact.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Problem with Ch9 is they have so many "analysts" and commentators at Origin games it takes 30 mins just for each of them to get their 2 cents worth in.

Problem with Ch9 is they have so many "analysts" and commentators at Origin games it takes 30 mins just for each of them to get their 2 cents worth in.

100% agree. The post match show should be hosted by Sterling and have maximum of 2 others (I think 1 other). They should go through the important parts of the game and discuss. Then go live to press conference from coach and captain and maybe some interviews with other players.

juro

Bench
If I had the choice between:
a) High definition with Gilbert or Hadley commentating; or
b) Standard definition with Voss commentating,

I would take b) every day of the week.

El Diablo

Post Whore
This deal broke news corps 'first and last offer' stipulation.

For that and hat alone, the deal was a massive step forward.

Just reminding anyone who has forgotten this very important fact.

9's as well

the NRL was going to go with 10's four live games until 9 and Fox relinquished their first and last rights

they will make future deals more valuable

i'm glad the NRL thought long term

TheVelourFog

First Grade
I agree that ch9 coverage is shit, but will never understand why anyone would want more player interviews. They NEVER have anything interesting to add, and the people asking the questions lead them to the answer they want anyway because they are not competent interviewers

Latest posts