What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs St George ANZ Stadium,Monday 7.00pm

1. Inglis
2. Johnston
3. Walker
4. Auva'a
5. Reddy
6. Sutton
7. Reynolds
8. George Burgess
9. Api
10. Tyrrell
11. Turner
12. Te'o
13. Sam Burgess

14. McInnes
15. Clark
16. McQueen
17. Tom Burgess

Last edited:

Zigwaa

Bench
Cut and paste job from Monday night's team.

I expect Isaac Luke to come into the team. Hopefully they retain Koroisau on the bench, he derserves it and has been the better of the two hookers.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
Cut and paste job from Monday night's team.

I expect Isaac Luke to come into the team. Hopefully they retain Koroisau on the bench, he derserves it and has been the better of the two hookers.

I'd go a step further and suggest Isaac will probably be on the bench for this one, just to ease him in.

Zigwaa

Bench
This could be a danger game for us. Under performing sides often bounce back with a win after a coach sacking.

MattJ

Juniors
Wouldn't be surprised to se Auva'a dropped after the story that has just come to light.

MattJ

Juniors
The story has been around for a while, no surprises to the club there.

I understand that, but now that it's become more public, the damnation that would usually follow a story like that can sometimes force a clubs hand to take greater action.
In saying that though, it doesn't appear much more has been made of it since I read the story yesterday, so I guess he will play.

MattJ

Juniors
the question is, can we overcome the curse of being 1st opponent to a new coach?

NRL & NYC Preview - Rd 12, 2014

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Video: Chris Beavon
Fri 30th May, 04:54PM
A A

Rabbitohs v Dragons
ANZ Stadium
Monday 7pm
The new era at St George Illawarra could begin this week against the Rabbitohs. Just a week after sacking coach Steve Price, the Dragons – now under the mentorship of club legend Paul McGregor – will be looking to make a point. Currently sitting in 13th position just two wins behind the Rabbitohs, Michael Maguire’s men are the only thing standing in the way of getting their new era under McGregor started on the right foot.
After beating the Dragons convincingly in the Charity Shield, and then again in round five at the Sydney Cricket Ground before having three losses on the trot, the odds are stacked against the Dragons. Add to this the fact that the Rabbitohs will be bolstered by returning Origin stars Greg Inglis, Ben Te’o and Chris McQueen, and things don’t get much tougher.
The Rabbitohs’ Origin contingent returned to Redfern today (Friday) in preparation for the Monday night clash, with Ben Te’o confident not only in his team’s ability to deliver after accounting for Cronulla during the Origin period, but in the Dragons’ determination to turn around their fortunes.
“We’re always wary against a team that has a few changes – like a head coach,” said Te’o.
“All their players will be fired up and ready to prove themselves and they obviously want to kick-start their season, so we’re very wary of them and Benji Marshall being back.”
To watch the full interview and read the accompanying article, please press click here.
The Rabbitohs have recently found a patch of form, with outside backs such as Alex Johnston, Kirsome Auva’a and Dylan Walker all providing much spark out wide, while forwards such as the giant George Burgess continue to make impressive yards and punch massive holes in opposition defences.
Expect the Rabbitohs to be looking to build on what was an effective performance in a dour game against the Sharks with a near full complement of players.
To find out more about Monday night’s match including how to purchase tickets, please click here.

Last Time They Met
John Sutton celebrated breaking the Rabbitohs all-time appearance record with an emphatic 26-6 victory over the St George Illawarra Dragons at the SCG, in front of 24,368 Members and supporters in round 5 of the 2014 season.
To see John Sutton's post-match reaction, please click here.
To see the post-match press conference, please click here.
With the perfect stage set in the form of the historic Sydney Cricket Ground the Rabbitohs turned on a controlled performance to help Sutton celebrate his milestone in style in the Men of League Heritage Round.
A penalty to the Rabbitohs right on the 10 minute mark allowed halfback Adam Reynolds an opportunity to boot his side two points ahead from 31 metres out. Reynolds knocked it over to give the Rabbitohs a two point advantage.
The red and greens attacked the St George Illawarra line with purpose, momentarily causing the Dragons to scramble in defence, but Souths were unable to convert the opportunity into points.
Joel Reddy seemed to score with 20 minutes in the half gone off the back of a suspected Dragons knock-on from Gareth Widdop, but the video referee concluded that Ben Te’o had knocked the ball on first before Widdop, ultimately ruling against the try.
But Souths’ patience was rewarded with 12 minutes in the first half remaining when Luke Burgess steamed onto a short-ball from Apisai Koroisau at dummy half to score right next to the uprights. Reynolds converted to give Souths an 8-0 lead.
The Dragons looked to hit-back at the other end of the field when Gareth Widdop put in a short chip-kick for a flying Josh Dugan, who tried to wrestled the ball down over three Rabbitohs defenders. The video referee ruled that Dugan momentarily lost control of the ball, denying the Dragons their first try of the night.
The Rabbitohs responded in the best way possible with Jason Clark finishing off a Rabbitoh raid that saw Sutton go to the air, Reddy bat the ball back inside to Clark who dived over the line in his return game. Reynolds converted from close-range to make it 14-0 with five minutes in the half remaining.
With a minute to go the Rabbits’ halves provided two show and go’s with decoy runners before Reynolds put in a cut-out ball for Nathan Merritt who raced 20 metres toward the SCG corner. But Dragons winger Brett Morris bundled the Rabbitoh into touch just shy of the line in a desperate cover tackle to end the half.
On the resumption, both sides traded opportunities, but it was the Rabbitohs who went in first through Sam Burgess, who snuck in next to the uprights to give the Rabbitohs a 20-0 lead with Reynolds’ conversion.
The Rabbitohs began to show some real steel in defence, repelling wave after wave of red v attack with some brilliant tackles and scramble, despite the Saints’ well-formed attack.
With 12 minutes in the match remaining, Greg Inglis took a beautifully timed inside ball from Sutton before palming off Josh Dugan and racing 20 metres to score the team’s fourth try of the night. Reynolds added the extras to make it an impressive 26-0.
The Dragons would not finish the match empty handed though – Jack De-Belin diving over for the red and whites’ first of the evening with seven minutes in match remaining. Gareth Widdop converted to make it 26-6.
With four and a half minutes left, Dragons winger Jason Nightingale was placed on report for a high shot on Apisai Koroisau. The Rabbitohs charged up-field and nearly grabbed another four-pointer through Dylan Walker, who picked simply put downward pressure on a Nathan Merritt toe-through. But the try was disallowed on the grounds that Walker was off-side.
But the points were enough to get the Rabbitohs their second victory of the year at a venue that has been a happy hunting ground for the men who wear red and green.
To watch all the highlights, please click here.

Keys to Victory
It’s all about the forwards this week. The Dragons boast an imposing pack that includes the likes of Trent Merrin, Dan Hunt and Ben Creagh – all of whom possess the innate ability to put teams on the back foot when firing. On the flip-side, the Rabbitohs too possess the same with the likes of Sam Burgess, George Burgess, Chris McQueen and more.
If the Rabbitohs forwards can march up-field in much the same way they did in round five against the Dragons, it will go a long way to victory. But it doesn’t stop there. Defensively, the Rabbitohs have an extra threat from the Red V this time around in the form of a returned Benji Marshall. Few could deny that Marshall at his best is among the most damaging players in the game, and it’s only a matter of time before he hits his straps. To combat that threat, Souths’ defence will need to put plenty of pressure on both Marshall and halves partner, Gareth Widdop – stop these two, and you go a long way to stopping the Dragons.

Key Matchups
Sam Burgess v Trent Merrin
samvMerrin.jpg

John Sutton v Gareth Widdop
suttoWiddop.jpg

NYC
Rabbitohs v Dragons
ANZ Stadium
Monday 4.45pm
The Rabbitohs’ NYC side will take on the Dragons in the curtain-raiser to first grade this Monday night in what will be a battle between the third-placed Dragons and the eighth-placed Rabbitohs
After playing out a draw against Cronulla in a pre-season match, Ben Gardiner’s young guns managed to beat the Sharks in a see-sawing affair in the Shire in round 11 to make it three wins on the trot.
While the Rabbitohs sit in eighth place, with a forward pack lead by the hard-working likes of Cheyne Whitelaw and Eden Syme, South Sydney’s young guns are putting teams on the back-foot with some determined straight running directly parallel to the sidelines.
Add a brilliant tendency to get away second-phase ball to ever-present supporting players, and the Rabbitohs NYC side are beginning to gel in just the way Ben Gardiner will be hoping.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2014/05/30/nr_nyc_preview_rd_12_2014.html

Lote, Merritt, Goodwin, Lowe and L.Burgess did not play for the bears today.Could well be some changes come Monday night.

Souths Young-Guns Ready for Renewed Dragons

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Video: Chris Beavon
Sat 31st May, 09:44AM
A A

Rabbitohs young-guns Kyle Turner and Apisai Koroisau are under no illusions as to the challenge that awaits them on Monday night against a Dragons outfit ready to make a fresh start.
With Paul McGregor now having taken over the coaching reins at the Kogarah, the Rabbitohs are expecting a different outfit to the one they defeated at the SCG in round five with renewed enthusiasm from their long list of quality players.
“The Dragons are a quality side,” said Turner.
“I know they haven’t been going too good in recent times, but they have that little extra something in their attack and defence.
“Of course we’re cautious of them, but we’re focusing on us basically and playing the best game we can on Monday night.”
The sentiment is one that teammate and hooker Apisai Koroisau agrees with.
“This week, our goal is just to focus on ourselves and get better,” said Koroisau.
“We had a good game last week, but there are definitely areas where we can improve, so that’s all we’re worried about.”
The Rabbitohs have continued to make improvements to their game in recent weeks, culminating in last week’s round 11 victory – keeping the Sharks scoreless without the likes of Queensland representatives Greg Inglis, Chris McQueen and Ben Te’o. For Turner, such achievements come back down to the team narrowing its focus to little things.
To watch Maguire's line-up for Monday night, please click here.
“We’ve just been focusing on the little things – getting down to the narrow things in our attack and defence,” admitted Turner.
“I think it’s showing in our game now and hopefully we can keep up the consistency throughout the season.
“You can never take it too easy on any team or any forward pack in the comp basically. We’ll be doing everything we can to be ready for them.”

The South Sydney Rabbitohs will take on the St George Illawarra Dragons in round twelve this Monday, 2nd June at ANZ Stadium.
There’s no better way to experience the action than by being there, and with free rail travel to and from ANZ Stadium for all tickets purchased (including Membership cards), getting there and back has never been easier! To find out more about Monday’s clash including how to purchase tickets, please click here.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2014/05/31/souths_young_guns_ready_for_renewed_dragons.html

South Sydney Rabbitohs need Sam Burgess to recapture 2013 form

League News South Sydney Rabbitohs
Date May 31, 2014 - 6:29PM
Daniel Lane

Sports reporter & Video journalist

Sam Burgess is the centre of the Dragons attention at the SCG. Photo: Getty Images

Former Canterbury hardman Peter Kelly says Souths need rugby-bound Sam Burgess to tap into last season’s form to help keep their premiership dream alive. The Rabbitohs, who went into round 12 in ninth place on the premiership ladder, take on St George Illawarra at ANZ Stadium on Monday night.
Kelly, 54, one of the most feared props in the game in the 1980s, believes the English international, who has signed a lucrative deal to join English rugby at the end of the season, is crucial to the Rabbitohs’ premiership campaign. He nominated Burgess as one of the modern front-rowers who excited him, but put the onus on the 25-year-old to replicate last year’s form – and quickly.
‘‘The form Sam was in last year, I thought he was the one,’’ Kelly said. ‘‘I rated him ahead of Sonny Bill Williams, I thought he was taking himself into the match, I thought he wanted to participate in all facets and being an old front-rower I liked his intimidating style, you might say.
‘‘He’s lost a bit of it this year, and I think Souths need for him to get that if they’re going to get near it.’’
Kelly also nominated Bulldogs’ rookie front-rower David Klemmer as the up-and-comer who could have an enormous future if he continued to progress.
Klemmer, 20, was signed by the Bulldogs from the Parramatta juniors when he was only 15. He made headlines in the club’s last-round match when he and Sydney Roosters hardman Jared Waerea-Hargreaves staged a running duel.
It was that brand of enthusiastic aggression that Kelly – who played in Canterbury’s premiership-winning teams in 1984 and ’85 – said helped lure him to watch the football.
‘‘He wants to carry the footy, he wants to get involved, he’s a big, raw kid and I think potentially he could be the next big one to come along,’’ he said. ‘‘Canterbury just have to let him play. I hate coaches restricting players and I think the reason why Canterbury has turned the corner is because they’ve gone from a second-man wide style of play to a hit it up and play footy approach. It’s a simple game, why complicate it? If that’s the way to win games, learn to win before you get too fancy with it.
‘‘So, for young Klemmer I think give him the ball as much as you can, give him free rein. If the offload is there let him do it.’’
Meanwhile, Parramatta’s Will Hopoate says he’s not exactly where he wants to be heading into a potential NSW recall for Origin II at ANZ Stadium.
However, he remains hopeful of coming into Laurie Daley’s side, following injuries to right-side combination Josh and Brett Morris in Wednesday’s brutal encounter.
In 2011, Hopoate was outstanding in his only NSW appearance and, after being named 19th man for game one in Brisbane, is odds on to take his place at centre or on the wing on June 18 in Sydney as the Blues look to end Queensland’s eight-year reign.
However, after spending two years out of the game as a Mormon missionary, Hopoate admits his strength needs improvement, believing the Origin arena has gone up a level in physicality since he was last there.
On Friday night, Penrith scored six of their seven tries down Hopoate’s right side in a 38-12 drubbing.
If thrown into the Origin cauldron, Hopoate would go face to face with the most successful try-scoring combination in Origin history – Queensland powerhouse Greg Inglis and his deputy Darius Boyd.
Hopoate hopes Daley will show faith, but the 22-year-old is reluctant to say he’s back to his best. ‘‘It was definitely a physical encounter [on Wednesday] so hopefully I can,’’ Hopoate said. ‘‘Again I’m still trying to build on strength and bulk up a little bit more to handle the contact. There’s still plenty of things I can do to improve and it’s a whole new level of footy and I’m still adjusting back to club footy.’’
with AAP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...e-2013-form-20140531-zrtzj.html#ixzz33MxOYTkH

Zigwaa

Bench
Dugan reportedly playing in the centres, weakens an already injury weakedn team imo.

Any further rumours of Isaac Luke playing tonight?

Goodwin or Merritt surely have to come in for Reddy, he offered bugger all last week.