What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW Team 2014

big hit!

Bench
tbf to hoppa, he was in a pretty ordinary eels team performance tonight, Idris is really the only other option but the drama he got going on at the moment wont be put in.

taufua or Mansour should be the wingers imo

Tafua, Richards, Mansour, Idris.......any other exclusive left-sided backs that folks want to put forward for the NSW right-side?

Not many other boys other than the Morris twins in NSW that I'd have confidence in swapping sides and that's because they've got several years of experience in doing so. All the above have virtually none, nothing, zilch, nada. They'll be flat footed and caught like deers in headlights sliding the other way.

Considering QLD got past the Morris' twice and Brett managed to put himself between the in-goal and the ball on the third, then good luck for those above who are used to moving and tackling the other way to stop Thurston/Inglis/Boyd come rolling down that side.

big hit!

Bench
THIS!!!!

Why do people not see this? He made a few good tackles on GI, and everyone believes he should be there again. He was almost solely responsible for QLDs first try as well as multiple LB's through GI and Slater, one of which forced an injured Josh Morris to run in from the sidelines to make a potentially try saving tackle on GI.

Watch the damn game.

Bird straight in for Scott.

With that reasoning, QLD will drop Thurston because he was the reason Hayne was able to lay on and score two tries and basically gift NSW the game.

Scott started slow and it can be said that he has a weakness when the QLD had space, but f**k me, just about every other player in the world is going to be at a disadvantage when a combination of players of the ilk of Slater, Inglis, & Thurston have a bit of space and are coming towards them.

he was immense in keeping that right side strong in the final 20 minutes.

Joker's Wild

Coach
With that reasoning, QLD will drop Thurston because he was the reason Hayne was able to lay on and score two tries and basically gift NSW the game.

Scott started slow and it can be said that he has a weakness when the QLD had space, but f**k me, just about every other player in the world is going to be at a disadvantage when a combination of players of the ilk of Slater, Inglis, & Thurston have a bit of space and are coming towards them.

Stop talking sense

B0w sK0D wAz BAd, hE m1ZZd t00 tkl3z. DroP hum nOW!!!!!!

mxlegend99

Referee
1. Hayne
2. Tupou
3. Jennings
4. Wighton / Walker (Shame Idris wouldn't be available)
5. Mansour / Taufua
6. Reynolds
7. Hodkinson
8. Tamou
9. Farah
10. Woods
11. Bird
12. Scott
13. Gallen (c)

14. Fifita
15. Merrin
16. Lewis
17. Jackson

Either of the Morris boys being fit, come straight back in.
Hoffman... can piss off. Likewise with T-Rex.
Such a shame Watmough and Cordner aren't fit to replace Jackson and Scott. But I'll take those guys over Hoffman and T-Rex who are pretty much invisible.

The backline is going to be pretty weak no matter who we select. So I'd go for tougher style players like Wighton and Mansour. Be about the closest to matching the physicality the Morris boys have played with. Plus Mansour will be great at making metres for the Blues. Also looks to have learned to catch recently.

watatank

Coach
Neither has Idris for that matter. Actually he's more of a right sided player. Not that he will be playing footy for a while, I suppose

MacDougall

First Grade
Joey Leilua for Josh
Uate for Brett

Leilua is every bit an Origin centre and a complete prick that QLD will hate playing against. Uate is Uate. Problem solved.

Scott was also rubbish in the backrow on Wednesday. I don't care if he improved in the second half because he was the reason QLD were in the game at all

THIS!!!!

Why do people not see this? He made a few good tackles on GI, and everyone believes he should be there again. He was almost solely responsible for QLDs first try as well as multiple LB's through GI and Slater, one of which forced an injured Josh Morris to run in from the sidelines to make a potentially try saving tackle on GI.

Watch the damn game.

Bird straight in for Scott.

c28e23745cf846562616bb19bc248173fa45a5b765560bdbcf385341141bfe2b.jpg

TheManBearPig

Juniors

Nice try.

Thurston, unlike Scott, has proven himself countless times in Origin and has earned the right to have a rare shit game.

It wasn't Scott running in on one leg to stop a LB by GI in the final 20 which came from a piss poor arm grab tackle. It was Josh Morris who mostly contained Inglis, not Scott, as has been the case for the past 2 series.

Name me one SOO game where Scott hasn't been a liability. His last Origin game, in G3 of 2012 was a disgrace.

Scott made 18 tackles, missed 4 (1 resulted in a try and and the others led to LBs). I could live with that if they were good attempts but that was not the case. All 4 were piss weak arm grabs.

He has never performed at Origin level and anyone who has him in their team for Game 2 is either a Newcastle fan or just a moron/QLDer.

Tafua, Richards, Mansour, Idris.......any other exclusive left-sided backs that folks want to put forward for the NSW right-side?

Not many other boys other than the Morris twins in NSW that I'd have confidence in swapping sides and that's because they've got several years of experience in doing so. All the above have virtually none, nothing, zilch, nada. They'll be flat footed and caught like deers in headlights sliding the other way.

Considering QLD got past the Morris' twice and Brett managed to put himself between the in-goal and the ball on the third, then good luck for those above who are used to moving and tackling the other way to stop Thurston/Inglis/Boyd come rolling down that side.

When did you start watching footy? Jamal idrIs has played most of his career on the right side. He made his origin debut on the right side and scored a try.

TheFrog

Coach
I have no faith in Hoppa after tonight. I know he's been solid over the last month, but that was embarrassing.

The Mighty Penrith Panthers, third in the competition and rising, are pleased to have been able to contribute something to this year's State Of Origin Series, even if it's just to demonstrate that Hoppa is a dud.

soc123_au

Staff member
Wighton in for J Morris
Mick Gordon in for B Morris

Gordon also takes over the goal kicking. I am surprised Umina Panther is the only one who has thrown Gordon's name up.

soc123_au

Staff member
He would have had at least 2 tries as well if he didnt have Handbrake Beau Scott playing centre in that game. Defensively he is fine, he brings the ball back well on kick returns, safe under the high ball & has good sense in positioning himself. It's a no brainer in my opinion. If we were looking at building a team etc his age is a factor. But in this case we just need to win now. He can help do that. Morris comes back next year or one of the younger ones if Morris is out of form or injured again.

mrpwnd

Bench
Can't really blame Hoppa for last nights performance. Even GI would've looked out of it playing with a team that never showed up + having Justin Hunt playing outside of him.

Can't really blame Hoppa for last nights performance. Even GI would've looked out of it playing with a team that never showed up + having Justin Hunt playing outside of him.

Hayne is the Eels. Almosy every team has a star fullback and they usually have a massive say on how well the teams attack goes.

Eels - Hayne
Manly - stewart
Dragons - Dugan
Tigers - Tedesco
Panthers - Moylan
Souths - Inglis
Storm - Slater
Broncos - Barba
Titans - Mead
Raiders - Milford
Warriors - Tomkins
Roosters - RTS

Bulldogs don't have one, that's why they're so forward orientated
Cowboys have JT
Sharks none
Knights none

It's just unfortunate for the eels that Hayne has more of a say on his team than any other fullback in the game. Cant believe that Brad Arthur didn't move Hoppa to fullback but maybe it's because Tonga wasn't playing.

Last edited:

big hit!

Bench
When did you start watching footy? Jamal idrIs has played most of his career on the right side. He made his origin debut on the right side and scored a try.

i'll take your word for it. i lived in denmark from 2009-2011. the only games I watched in those three seasons were origins and finals.

was that the game he came in on a QLD player and then left a 2-man overlap outside him, and generally seemed lazy when the ball wasn't in his hands? i remember those little things.

i'm assuming he isn't being considered now anyway.

i'll take your word for it. i lived in denmark from 2009-2011. the only games I watched in those three seasons were origins and finals.

was that the game he came in on a QLD player and then left a 2-man overlap outside him, and generally seemed lazy when the ball wasn't in his hands? i remember those little things.

i'm assuming he isn't being considered now anyway.

Fair enough. Yep he had to make an all or nothing play, Hayne was caught out of position and there was a 3-1 overlap. Idris put all his bread into 1 basket and came up on Dave Taylor.