What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quality of TV coverage

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
9's as well

the NRL was going to go with 10's four live games until 9 and Fox relinquished their first and last rights

they will make future deals more valuable

i'm glad the NRL thought long term

Exactly. The independent commission will show its true worth when the next rights are up for bidding.

The true worth will be on the open market. It was great foresight, despite the clear shortfalls of the current coverage.

Sime_11

Juniors
quality = channel nine showing all their allowed (Friday/Sunday) games live.

make Friday night a stand alone game like Afl does and show a game on Saturday night live as well.

also whats with Origin starting at 815? I know its only 15 minutes but they really drag it on these days, whats wrong with a 730 kickoff like normal???

oikee

Juniors
This deal broke news corps 'first and last offer' stipulation.

For that and hat alone, the deal was a massive step forward.

Just reminding anyone who has forgotten this very important fact.

Yes, i did a study and have to agree. The next TV deal will be massive because we got rid of this ball and chain around our necks.

Look, forget about AFL and their soap opera.
Remember that drawn AFL final a few year ago. ?
That alone is the reason i cant stand this code.
Not only did the players look fresh at the end of the game, it went for another week, milking those fans like puppies, None the wiser.
That ignorance is why i dont rate or fear this code.

Now, can we start making noises about pushing for "State of Origin" to become Australia's own National Treasure.
Before the AFL get wind of this and try to make that dumbarse code our national treasure.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
quite possibly one of the funniest suggestions i've heard was on radio this morning in melbourne.

eddie mcguire was talking about the origin, said it was a good game and great concept, but actually was a dumb as players got injured..

he thinks state of origin would have place in the AFL..

but..

it would be a ceremonious thing only..

so you'd name your teams..

but they'd never play.

it would just be an honour the players could say "i got selected for victoria"

i was laughing so hard i had to pull my car over.

i nearly wet myself.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
quite possibly one of the funniest suggestions i've heard was on radio this morning in melbourne.

eddie mcguire was talking about the origin, said it was a good game and great concept, but actually was a dumb as players got injured..

he thinks state of origin would have place in the AFL..

but..

it would be a ceremonious thing only..

so you'd name your teams..

but they'd never play.

it would just be an honour the players could say "i got selected for victoria"

i was laughing so hard i had to pull my car over.

i nearly wet myself.

Are you serious? He really did that? Even the most ardent VFL fan would have cringed at such a ridiculous assertion.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Are you serious? He really did that? Even the most ardent VFL fan would have cringed at such a ridiculous assertion.

he did indeed do that..

i'm pretty sure he even suggested actually presenting the players with a state of origin jersey (although by that stage i had tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks so i may have heard incorrectly..)

imagine that in the NRL..

david smith: "here you go jarryd hayne.. congratulations, here is your no.1 jersey for NSW.."

hayne: "umm.. it's the wrong size, it's a small & i'm an XL"

smith: "it's okay.. it's not like you have to wear it or anything"

eozsmiles

Bench
9's as well

the NRL was going to go with 10's four live games until 9 and Fox relinquished their first and last rights

they will make future deals more valuable

i'm glad the NRL thought long term

At this point in time it would seem unlikely that 10 would have any chance of winning the next bidding war, if they even bother to enter it. They have no money and not many viewers. So it is quite possible that the value of the next deal will be reliant on how interested channel seven is, assuming fox and nine are happy to continue sharing.

If, for whatever reason, seven aren't interested, it could essentially be a one horse race.

eozsmiles

Bench
I agree that ch9 coverage is shit, but will never understand why anyone would want more player interviews. They NEVER have anything interesting to add, and the people asking the questions lead them to the answer they want anyway because they are not competent interviewers

Getting the answer they want makes them very competent. Not interesting, but competent.

And we've heard some of the players talk. If Andy Raymond doesn't hint them the answer, they'll stand there in silence.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
At this point in time it would seem unlikely that 10 would have any chance of winning the next bidding war, if they even bother to enter it. They have no money and not many viewers. So it is quite possible that the value of the next deal will be reliant on how interested channel seven is, assuming fox and nine are happy to continue sharing.

If, for whatever reason, seven aren't interested, it could essentially be a one horse race.

well Ten have said they'll bid in the AFL rights http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...r-in-afl-broadcast-rights-20140421-zqx7x.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
A commentary team of warren, fittler and johns. Who could argue with the quality of the ch9 presentation of the game?

TheVelourFog

First Grade
Getting the answer they want makes them very competent. Not interesting, but competent.

And we've heard some of the players talk. If Andy Raymond doesn't hint them the answer, they'll stand there in silence.

sorry, to be more clear what I was getting at was the "questions" are more like statements
eg. "That must have been pretty emotional for you" etc. to which the player can only answer in variations of "yes" or "no"

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
id love to see a panel show on fox at 7pm on friday leading into the 7.30 game.. with some actual analysis of the up coming game...

guess they cant do as QLD have a different game

eozsmiles

Bench
sorry, to be more clear what I was getting at was the "questions" are more like statements
eg. "That must have been pretty emotional for you" etc. to which the player can only answer in variations of "yes" or "no"

100% agree with this. With some players it helps them get through an interview. With the interesting players it is a hindrance.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Ch 10 would be lucky to have enough money to pay the tea lady they are struggling battling with ABC for 4th dont think it will happen

Diesel

Coach
If like to see Ten offer something similar to last time with a similar amount plus inflation. NRL are in the box seat with 9/Fox next time around

Latest posts