What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 X 9 team conference system

Can someone explain it to me. It was rolling around my head last night, but I couldn't figure out how it was a 22 round season ?

spiderdan

Bench
Dunno how the numbers would work in 2x9, but a 3x6 setup where you play your own conference twice and others once would fit.

I'd like to see it with two new sides based in two of central coast, Perth or Adelaide.

From what I understand 9 teams per conference, two conferences.

Sydney Conference : Eels, Panthers, Tigers, Dogs, Sharks, Dragons, Roosters, Rabbits, Sea Eagles.

National Conference : Brisbane, North Queensland, Gold Coast, Melbourne, New Zealand, Canberra, Newcastle, + 2 more teams (Lets say WA Pirates and Bears/Bombers).

You play each team in your conference twice and each team in the other conference once.

But I am falling down how that gets us a 22 week season.

TheParraboy

Staff member

Sydney Conference : Eels, Panthers, Tigers, Dogs, Sharks, Dragons, Roosters, Rabbits, Sea Eagles.

National Conference : Brisbane, North Queensland, Gold Coast, Melbourne, New Zealand, Canberra, Newcastle, + 2 more teams (Lets say WA Pirates and Bears/Bombers).

You play each team in your conference twice and each team in the other conference once.

2 X 8 team conference perhaps?

that's gets you the 22

I am still thinking about this.

So with a 9 team conference, you have 18 rounds to play everyone twice, and everyone gets two weeks that are conference byes.

During those weeks you play the team having a conference bye in the other conference, which cuts your numbers down to a 25 round competition and the last 7 weeks are chock full with inter conference games.

That makes 16 rounds. You don't play yourself twice. You don't even do it once.

Yeah I was thinking that, but the round robin sheet I saw had 9 rounds, so that everyone played everyone once with every team having a bye.

Either way you get 25 games with 16 conference games and 9 non conference games.

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
The two conference system Gus is referring to with 22 rounds would be for 2 conferences of 8, but we currently have 9 Sydney teams and 7 Non-Sydney teams.

I believe that 22 games is for the current 16 team competition and not any future expansion to an 18 team competition.

Gus has also flagged previously of one of the Sydney teams sacrificing themselves and moving to the National Conference to create 2 conferences of 8.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if the NRL threw up some incentives for a Sydney team to move to the National Conference (i.e better Salary Cap concessions for this team perhaps, guaranteed minimum funding for home games).

I think if they bought 2 new teams in and created an 18 team competition that this split conference system is the way it will go.

Last edited:

lingard

Coach
When I was a lot younger, we had a four team conference where two of the boys would play with each other twice and then with themselves once and then ............. oh .... no, sorry. No we didn't.

Two conferences of 8 (a 16 team like we have now) gets you to a 22 game season. A 18 team comp with two conferences of 9 gets you to a 25 game season. Either way, if they are considering conferences (which I like) I hope it's only for the purposes for the draw and getting more local derbies and not foe determining the teams making the finals (ie 4 teams from each conference).

The main problem with two 8 team conferences is that there is 9 Sydney teams.

If they did expand to 18 teams, a conference draw would be great IMO.

Latest posts