What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Bronco18

Juniors
What's the possibility of us paying out Barba to alleviate the salary cap pressures?

I'd much prefer Milford at fullback and Hunt partnering one of the up and comers than Barba + Milford with an unknown at halfback.

Bretto

Bench
What's the possibility of us paying out Barba to alleviate the salary cap pressures?

I'd much prefer Milford at fullback and Hunt partnering one of the up and comers than Barba + Milford with an unknown at halfback.

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Big Pete

Referee
Ben Hunt is the future of the club, in the same way Lockyer was our future when Langer retired.

This is where a lot of people probably agree with you and where I don't see it.

He's got a long way to go. A lot can happen in a year's time.

Kiwi

First Grade

Alot can happen in a year. He could be a one year wonder. He wouldn't be the first

Bronco18

Juniors
Eh I meant in regards to the salary cap audit, it was rumoured Barba's deal was going under the microscope. I think him returning to his 2012 form is a pipe dream; I'd prefer to cut him loose if we're over rather than losing a promising young player(s).

Paying out a 600k a year deal would be hefty though :p

Dazzat

First Grade

Hunt may not be a Lockyer - who knows. But he's all we've got at the moment - literally.

Big Pete

Referee
Alot can happen in a year. He could be a one year wonder. He wouldn't be the first

Really it comes down to my philosophy about spending money.

If you have a player who is going to leave at the first sign of a real pay-day than just let them go because they're going to do so eventually anyways.

I don't think Hunt will be that type of player. He's stuck by the club through thick and thin and believe he'll accept a modest pay rise - not a blank cheque like others are so keen to throw at him.

You know who is a blank cheque player and there is still plenty of rumours going around he's interested in playing at Red Hill? Daly Cherry-Evans.

Dazzat

First Grade

If you have a player who is going to leave at the first sign of a real pay-day than just let them go because they're going to do so eventually anyways.

I don't think Hunt will be that type of player. He's stuck by the club through thick and thin and believe he'll accept a modest pay rise - not a blank cheque like others are so keen to throw at him.

You know who is a blank cheque player and there is still plenty of rumours going around he's interested in playing at Red Hill? Daly Cherry-Evans.

Hunt hasn't risen to the crème of the crop level just yet. He may look for an incentive-based contract - upgraded if he makes certain representative appearances (Queensland, Australia). This would suit Hunt and the club I believe, considering Hunt's stage of development.

Cherry-Evans is a crème of the crop player, but if the club is to follow through on their philosophy of junior development (as recently re-emphasised by White), they need to walk-the-walk. Paying big bucks to an established half back doesn't line up with that philosophy.

Big Pete

Referee
Who says the club can't have their cake and eat it as well?

A player like DCE is the type of player that attracts players and wants them to stick around.

Who says the club can't have their cake and eat it as well?

A player like DCE is the type of player that attracts players and wants them to stick around.

That is very true. That is why the Roosters went all out to sign Brad Fittler for 1996 and beyond. They factored in having a name player at the club would help in terms of recruitment. It is why Parramatta in the early 1990s had problems signing name players, they had virtually no one of stature on their books so the big name players went elsewhere.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Hunt may not be a Lockyer - who knows. But he's all we've got at the moment - literally.

Good point.

Hunt is certainly no Lockyer, nor will he ever be.

But he might have a Lockyer-type effect on the Broncos if he went down injured.

Imagine Hoffman + ??? in the halves :crazy:

Big Pete

Referee
Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but I think BP is trying to distinguish between might be and will be.

You put it better than I was ever going to. :eek:

Milford certainly has that potential, as do a few of our players, let's hope they live up to it.

Kiwi

First Grade

Open cheque book for Hunt, certainly not, around the 400k mark certainly.

If we land DCE I could stand outside in my front yard and listen to the crying from down south, and even up north.

Dazzat

First Grade
Also I can certainly see where Pete is coming from when you consider we dominated the QLD under 18's side named for the 18th of june clash this month. 9 of the 17 are Broncos.

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2014/06/03/broncos_dominate_qld_under_18s_team.html

I don't think that's anything new. Unfortunately, the transition from under 18s to first grade is strewn with coulda's and shoulda's.

Over-representation in lower age groups means virtually nothing. Just look at some old under 18 representative team shots, and usually there are only a half dozen (if that) that ever make first grade.

Bretto

Bench

Dazzat

First Grade
Hunt looks like a pretty smart cookie to me. And if his hero is Darren Lockyer, then he will see the benefits that Darren and other one-club members enjoy that others don't - particularly in Brisbane where third party deals, and after-football careers open up a lot easier than in Sydney.

Of course, a one-club vision won't suit everyone, but Hunt seems to be cut from that cloth.

Big Pete

Referee
Also I can certainly see where Pete is coming from when you consider we dominated the QLD under 18's side named for the 18th of june clash this month. 9 of the 17 are Broncos.

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2014/06/03/broncos_dominate_qld_under_18s_team.html

The number is a bit inflated due to the lack of depth but plenty of quality prospects in that team. I suspect NSW will be too strong as they usually are in this format but the likes of Nikorima, Collins, Fai, Alick & Hipgrave are worth keeping an eye on.

It isn't the best indicator, but some nice signs, especially after some lean years.

Latest posts