What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings and More Crap XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
2.5 years of De Gois is a terrible deal.

The guy has been very average this year and its not surprising the Sharks would let him go.

How can you say that it's a terrible deal if you don't know how much he's being paid? He is an 'average' player, but if he's on a modest salary he looks like a fair depth signing to me.....allows us to focus on retaining blokes like Matterson rather than Kaysa and other aspiring hookers who are yet to show signs of progressing to genuine NRL level.

slippy

Juniors
Could he be considered average because pretty much every Shark is this year? The attitude just isn't there for them, they look like us from last year. Pack is well beaten every week so he has bugger all to work with. I reckon he will grow an extra leg in a more positive set up with us.

He's a better player than he's shown this year and I for one and glad we could attract a player instantly like that (wouldn't have happened in the past) and I am happy its De Gois. Welcome aboard champ

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't rate him enough for 2.5 years, i am happy with the rest of the season but anything beyond that is a little strange. Unless he's happy with playing in the NSW Cup and only play when needed........

I'm sure he knows we have Nathan Peats on the books.

It's likely the bulk of De Gois' money is for next year, with the final year leaving him outside the top 25. Obviously this year he will be on peanuts (at least the component paid by us).

Excellent signing. He has played finals footy the past two years, rarely gets injured, and will be close to the most experienced player in the squad. So even without getting on the field (which you hope is the case with all backups) he adds a lot to our club.

Gordy

Juniors
Could he be considered average because pretty much every Shark is this year? The attitude just isn't there for them, they look like us from last year. Pack is well beaten every week so he has bugger all to work with. I reckon he will grow an extra leg in a more positive set up with us.

He's a better player than he's shown this year and I for one and glad we could attract a player instantly like that (wouldn't have happened in the past) and I am happy its De Gois. Welcome aboard champ

Totally agree slippy.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How can you say that it's a terrible deal if you don't know how much he's being paid? He is an 'average' player, but if he's on a modest salary he looks like a fair depth signing to me.....allows us to focus on retaining blokes like Matterson rather than Kaysa and other aspiring hookers who are yet to show signs of progressing to genuine NRL level.

Spot on Barry. An 'average' NRL hooker with 170+ NRL games is a fantastic backup player to have in your squad. That makes him a great signing.

He's only 30 this year, and the last time he played less than 20 NRL games was 2011, which was the only season since his debut (2006) that he played less than 20 games.

Delboy

First Grade
Spoke to Hindy at his sons game yesterday, he rates DeGois and thinks he is a great addition- said he is a narky buggar on the field

mickdo

Coach
I don't know how you could seriously argue IDG is a terrible signing based on length of the contract alone, not knowing the price. If it's for peanuts (which is likely) then it's the best we could hope for given our current situation.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Good stuff Parra, nothing ever wrong with having some depth in your squad and sometimes all it takes is a change of scenery to spark someone into action.

strider

Post Whore
do you think there is any cahnce we are front loading degois' contract? ... if we get a injury allowance thingy from the NRL for peats injury and say 1/3 his contract's worth is freed up, could we use that to pay more to degois this yr and less in coming years?

Someone

Bench
Guys, we made a grand final with the spine of Hayne, Mortimer, Robson and Keating/Kingston.

We still have our number 1. We will miss peats but not all is lost. De Gois could shine in a new enviroment, he used to be handy.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Id suggest IDG will be paid what we are paying Jones and Foran this year who obviously arent rated by BA and will be punted.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Any one thinking Issac may be past it, just remember Gower had been to several clubs without becoming a regular nrl player. Yet at the eels under Arthur he has been playing very good.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Id suggest IDG will be paid what we are paying Jones and Foran this year who obviously arent rated by BA and will be punted.

Both moved back into the halves this weekend after experimenting at hooker the week before. I wouldn't be surprised if Jones or Foran were retained as backup half for next year, assuming Kelly signs somewhere else.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Won't make any difference they are second tier signings Issac should be top 25

De Gois probably should be top 25 on ability, but it's based on how much they're paid. Could we have enough room in this year's cap to pay him a top 25 salary?

Maybe for mid year signings it counts on how much they're being paid in total (by both clubs)? It would be interesting to know.

The reason it's important whether or not a player is top 25 is because it determines which salary cap he falls under.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts