What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall already looking to future

getsmarty

Immortal
Benji Marshall already looking to future

By ADAM PENGILLY

June 13, 2014, 8:23 p.m.

Benji Marshall rests comfortably underneath WIN Stadium's ageing southern grandstand - much like the man himself, critics argue, after a first couple of efforts which hardly endeared himself to the most passionate supporter base in the NRL.
Why the Dragons, Benji? How much speed have you lost? How long will it take you and Gareth Widdop to be on the same page?
How do you cope with the suffocating expectation of a new expectant fan base? Who do you want to coach the club long term?
He never bats an eyelid. Answers each question politely - he has done the same in a number of inquisitions before reaching this end of this interview conga line.
"I think I'm the oldest in the team ... it's sad," he laughs, barely flinching from his position deep in the bowels of the stand.
Marshall is 29. Save for injured 30-year-old halfback Michael Witt, there is no other member of the Dragons squad who is older.
Despite fizzling in his final year at the Tigers before a failed rugby union switch, the Dragons still shuffled a million-dollar contract across the table when Marshall was on the hunt for a new club.
And for 2½ years?
"You probably get a bit slower as you get older," Marshall muses, a refreshing show of honesty in a sport which can be anything but sometimes.
"I'm 29 now and you can't expect to be the same speed as when you're 21 or 22.
"With a couple of injuries over the last couple of years and turf toe, it's probably hindered my speed a little bit. I needed to get that [running game] back and I think I found that on the weekend."
The club Marshall found that against on the weekend just happened to be the Sharks, his other major suitor before he opted for a struggling Dragons.
The shire would have been easy for Marshall. His mates were there. His home is not far from there. And it would be easily to assume his future should have also been there.
So, why the Dragons, who logic would suggest was the furthest thing removed from his comfort zone?
"It's still the same thing I see now ... it's unlimited potential," Marshall says.
"It's such a young group. I can see the potential there and with a bit of experience these young guys could be anything. They could be a force to be reckoned with for five to 10 years."
That's the thing. Marshall definitely won't be around when it comes but he reckons the ingredients are there. He can play a part in helping sow the seeds of St George Illawarra's success, on and off the field, for however long it may take.
That won't appease a fandom who expect - rather than hope for - results. They've seen red over their beloved Red V's stuttering couple of seasons.
Pressure? Marshall has never been immune to it.
"That's probably half the battle," he says of the constant expectation of fans, explaining going back to his instincts of running the ball had helped after watching old You Tube footage of himself last week.
"I try to take the pressure away and it [running more] helped enormously."
Wise guys noted there was barely a hint of celebration from St George Illawarra's new No 7 after he played a lead role in Josh Dugan's Origin audition last week against a depleted Sharks.
"I was so concentrated on making sure the next thing I did was good and worrying about celebrating after the game," Marshall says.
"Because I was so under pressure with performing I just wanted to make sure I did my job.
"Sure, they were a weakened team but you've got to play what's in front of you. If that's what it takes to get a bit of confidence back I think I took a lot out of it."
So comes his greatest test yet against the Panthers on Saturday?
"In my first couple of games I was trying to find my feet and we were trying to build a combination and I probably took a little bit of the ball away from Gaz," Marshall said.
"We're getting better and we've still got a long way to go. I really feel like we can really do some damage together and once we get to know each other's game."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2350538/benji-marshall-already-looking-to-future/?cs=2382

St Georgio

Juniors
"It's such a young group. I can see the potential there and with a bit of experience these young guys could be anything. They could be a force to be reckoned with for five to 10 years."
Let the force be with you Benjie, but let the force begin now not in 5 years mate!

dragonreddy

Juniors
Interesting MARSHALL'S take on the club , it is in complete contrast to BRIAN SMITH'S summation if you watch the you tube RLW clip posted on the WHO DO YOU WANT TO COACH thread,I think SMITH is a lot closer to the mark .

TruSaint

Referee
Let the force be with you Benjie, but let the force begin now not in 5 years mate!

Georgio, if you read it again he says a force to be reckoned with for 5 - 10 years. Not starting in 5, but over the next 5-10 years.

Im warming to this bloke.

He could have taken the easy route to the Sharks, with his mates, make similar money and lay back.

To date he has been humble, appreciative and critical of himself. Says alot, for a guy who's face was once the the poster boy for the code.

Improving every game, a few mistakes... yes, but thats what you get with players of benji's ilk.

dragonreddy

Juniors
Georgio, if you read it again he says a force to be reckoned with for 5 - 10 years. Not starting in 5, but over the next 5-10 years.

Im warming to this bloke.

He could have taken the easy route to the Sharks, with his mates, make similar money and lay back.

To date he has been humble, appreciative and critical of himself. Says alot, for a guy who's face was once the the poster boy for the code.

Improving every game, a few mistakes... yes, but thats what you get with players of benji's ilk.

Sorry TRU disagree on MARSHALL ,he was ordinary again tonight , he should be humble , he is getting paid to do NOT MUCH .I notice some people on other threads sugar coating his perfiomance tonight .

TruSaint

Referee
Sorry TRU disagree on MARSHALL ,he was ordinary again tonight , he should be humble , he is getting paid to do NOT MUCH .I notice some people on other threads sugar coating his perfiomance tonight .

Tonite my friend I cant disagree.
Humble pie. :)
But I will say this buddy, we have deeper problems than Benji.

Country Dragon

Juniors

I'm no where near being a Benji fan but, I wish our inept forwards atleast tried as hard as he does!

TruSaint

Referee
I'm no where near being a Benji fan but, I wish our inept forwards atleast tried as hard as he does!

Interesting viewpoint.
Benji has always succeeded on the back of mobile packs.
Quick play the balls, etc.
The fact he overplayed his hand tonite was not the reason for our loss.
Dumb footy was. Period.

Mr Red

First Grade
Barge ass could go down as one of the most ridiculous signings the club has ever made... I'm talking Nathan long ridiculous

Last edited:

Dragoness

Juniors
I think Benji is improving with each game, he's a smart footballer & if the big boys do their bit things can only get better

Minh

First Grade
Benji was world class, still can't believe he's wearing the Red V. Hope he plays just half as good as we know he can.

TheRev

First Grade
I think Benji is improving with each game, he's a smart footballer & if the big boys do their bit things can only get better
Yeah I like him, I mean hes not in the class of Johnson or JT or DCE, but tell me oppositions dont sh** their pants when he runs at the line 20m out? Hes a genuine threat every time... complete opposite of pre-benji "dragons footy" where we hit it up 4 times then put in a dud kick.

Minh

First Grade
Yeah I like him, I mean hes not in the class of Johnson or JT or DCE, but tell me oppositions dont sh** their pants when he runs at the line 20m out? Hes a genuine threat every time... complete opposite of pre-benji "dragons footy" where we hit it up 4 times then put in a dud kick.

Are you talking about Benji of now Rev, because the Benji of 3 to 4 years ago had me sh#tting my pants more than any other player this side of Inglis.

dragonreddy

Juniors

Couldn't agree with you less, he made the same errors he made in the first games, to say he is improving ,well he couldn't have gotten any worse,he isn't a player on the up and up he is supposed to be an established WORLD CLASS PLAYMAKER not a player developing his game ,if he is going to take the big packpacket he has to perform , end of story.And he isn't!

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
Interesting MARSHALL'S take on the club , it is in complete contrast to BRIAN SMITH'S summation if you watch the you tube RLW clip posted on the WHO DO YOU WANT TO COACH thread,I think SMITH is a lot closer to the mark .

can you please post a link to the Brian Smith video you cited? ... hard to contrast when there is no link, dragonreddy

Latest posts