What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Broncos eye Dragons star Trent Merrin as Corey Parker replacement

BrissyRedV

Bench
http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...rker-replacement/story-fni2flhh-1226969990842

PETER BADELNEWS LIMITEDJUNE 29, 2014*12:00AM

THE Broncos are chasing NSW Origin forward Trent Merrin as part of their plan to cover the eventual retirement of co-captain Corey Parker.

Merrin, 25, was first identified as a possible recruit by former Brisbane operations chief Andrew Gee, who resigned last month.

The interest remains genuine, with Broncos officials recently performing due diligence on the highly-rated Merrin to learn if he would fit the club’s culture.

The 104kg prop or back-rower is one of the code’s most promising young forwards, averaging 142 metres and 37 tackles per game this season.
Trent Merrin of the Dragons runs in to score a try.

A mobile forward with brilliant footwork and a good offload, Merrin made his Origin debut as a 21-year-old in 2011.

He is now a key member of the Blues and will play his 10th match in Origin III on Wednesday week at Suncorp Stadium.

In time, the Broncos are keen for Merrin to settle in Queensland.

The Wollongong junior is off-contract at the end of next season, meaning Brisbane cannot table a formal offer until November 1 in their plan to sign him for the 2016 season.

However, rival clubs are hoping he will not see out his current deal.

NSW's forward Trent Merrin in action.

Merrin is one of the lowest-paid Origin players this year, rumoured to be earning less than $250,000 a season, and was unhappy to be overlooked for the Dragons’ leadership group.

The Broncos are no certainties to secure Merrin given they are one of up to seven clubs who have the forward on their hit-list.

“There is plenty of interest in Trent,’’ his manager Wayne Beavis said yesterday. “He’s an Origin player, he’s young, he’s in the prime of his career.

“I’d say he’s on a few clubs’ hit list but Trent is secure for the short-term so we can’t take offers yet.’’

Merrin’s attraction for the Broncos is his versatility. He has the ability to play prop, back-row or lock, which would give them flexibility with their interchange rotation.

At 32, Parker recently signed until the end of 2016, but the Broncos need an ironman successor and Merrin fits the bill.

Former Broncos and Queensland hooker Kerrod Walters said Merrin would be a handy addition to Brisbane's ranks.

“Merrin’s an Origin player and you don’t play Origin if you don’t have ability,’’ he said.

“He’s one of those guys with good footwork who is able to get through the line and offload.

“If you have quality players available and they are keen to come, you have to go after them.

“He’s got a bit of size about him too. He’s just played in a winning Origin series so he’d be a good asset for the Broncos.’’

Last edited:

Twenty10

Juniors
Being offered 650. Dragons will need to seriously up the ante. Merrin is not a fan of Doust or the management.

blacksafake

First Grade
Doesn't sound too flash,he imo is a must keep & a future captain. It would be a shame to let hit him go after putting in all the hard yards to get him up to where he is now. Not sure about $650k but he is certainly worth more than what he is on now if true.

GT0007

Juniors
He's been playing Origin for 4yrs he shld be on more than $250k, I can't see how that would be right?

friend10

Juniors
Lol joel thompson is earning more than him, and dylan farrell as well as brett morris, sam williams, benji is earning nearly 3 times as much, i prefer three merrins than one benji

some11

Referee
No way you guys would let him go surely?

Any offer we put out would have to be matched.

Ace-STi

Juniors
Sally is the key here.... If they stay together good chance he will remain a dragon!

Minh

First Grade
Surely Merrin is worth more than 250K a season and deserves to get a good upgrade. He signed up at a time when (500K to the Tigers) for a forward like Adam Blair was seen as over extravagant though, so times have changed since then.

DUB888

Juniors
Highlights the need for a reputable coach with quality staff and vision for recruitment and development.

RONG

Juniors
This cannot be allowed to happen. Without Trent our results this year would be as pathetic as the scum, he is our only good player in the forward pack, sell the rest but keep the best. An origin player someone our younger forwards can look up to and learn from. I just cant fathom how Doust could ever let him wear another jersey.

karuah6

Juniors
This cannot be allowed to happen. Without Trent our results this year would be as pathetic as the scum, he is our only good player in the forward pack, sell the rest but keep the best. An origin player someone our younger forwards can look up to and learn from. I just cant fathom how Doust could ever let him wear another jersey.

Who said he has. You are jumping the gun young fella.

possm

Coach
I don't believe we have him on 250k. I'd say he is on 400-450k and, like any player, would love to be paid more.

Doust will clean out some of the dead wood to enable an upgrade for Merrin prior to November 1 this year.

love my saints

Juniors
I recall Doust saying.... not too long ago, that we re-signed and upgraded the contracts of a number of players, i seriously doubt Mez is on $250k..... joke of an article. Mez would have to be in the top 4 earners in our club, without doubt.

TheRev

First Grade
Hes a fringe origin player but yes he will be on more than 250k.. that sounds very outdated.

If he leaves it will be because hes had jack of the club and its chance of a premiership.. this is why a strong finish to 2014 and the 2015 coach is so critical to retaining our talent and recruiting the missing pieces (aka more mongrel) for next season.

Latest posts