What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

lynx000

Juniors
If that discussion did occur, can I also say full credit to Hunt for sticking out and fixing up what the perceived issues were, rather than doing a Norman and throwing a tanty and walking out on the joint.

Dazzat

First Grade
Yeah ... it's possible that this was the strategy behind bringing Prince into the club last year - to give Hunt another year of coming off the bench, but let's not forget that this also pushed Norman out of the club as well.

Some would argue that Norman leaving is a good thing, but we have no replacement for this year, and I don't think that Milford will just step into the No. 6 role as easily as many think, having played so much fullback.

EVERY halfback has the improve their defence. It's the weakness of just about ALL halfbacks, and I wouldn't think that you improve faster by playing 20 minutes a game coming off the bench than you do playing 80 minutes and getting hammered by second rowers the whole time.

As far as sacking Griffin, I don't take much out of the last couple of wins. Manly were at their worst, and so were Canberra. We have a fairly easy draw for the next few weeks until the Panthers game. See how we go against the top team.

Ph1l

Juniors
How much should Griffin be held responsible for that debacle? 22-0 lead at half time and blow it. I wish I could have heard the half time talk. Surely, let Carney do whatever he likes wasn't in it.

beads6

First Grade
The loss is on the players IMO. Griffin may have done things wrong but the players are the ones that stopped playing. They went to sleep at the wheel.

Dazzat

First Grade
One game neither makes nor breaks a coach or a team.

The second half of the Cronulla game, in the main, was just "one of those games" - where everything went right for the Sharks, and to be honest, the Broncs didn't play too bad.

However, they made errors at crucial times.

No, it's not about one game - its about the consistent things that keep happening at the club that mark Griffin as out of his league.

Big Pete

Referee
I'm coaxing myself into watching a replay so my opinion could change at any moment, but the impression I received out of the game is that while the Broncos may have surrendered a 22 point lead, the Broncos seemed shakey from the get go and if it wasn't for some nice play from Hunt (who seemed to be playing to a simple but effective gameplan in fairness) the game would have much been much closer and probably a little less embarrassing for the Broncos.

Specifically, the ruck defence seemed to be rubbish like it was against the Warriors. The difference is, the Warriors have some of the best metre eating backs in the game so it's excusable to an extent, Sharks really shouldn't be tearing into your team as easily.

Nightward

Juniors
One game neither makes nor breaks a coach or a team.

Whilst this is true, the problem is that the end of the game was a reprise of a continuing problem- being run down at the end of a game, even with a game-winning lead.

There is something wrong with either the attitude of the players or their fitness levels (perhaps both) and ultimately the buck stops with Griffin. It was an issue last season that was supposed to have been dealt with by a new training regime and staff put in place during the off-season, but whatever was done hasn't worked.

And going by the game plans and selection choices shown, I'm not sure Griffin is willing to evolve new methods for dealing with such issues, instead of doubling down and hoping for the best.

Dazzat

First Grade
I believe we were among the worst teams for missed tackles last year - if not the worst. But our defensive coach kept his job ...?

hooch is crazy

Juniors
Easy to say sack the lot of them but where do the replacements come from? Jack Gibson isn't waiting in the wings, ready to be re-animated and handed a clipboard. The fact is the leadership holes left by Bennett and Lockyer are not being filled. The hole left by Cyril Connell will take a very long time to fill, too. Do not underestimate the effect this has, and will continue to have. The things that set Brisbane apart from the also-rans are gone.

So where's the next legendary leader?

Who was throwing fire and brimstone behind the goal posts when Cronulla hit 18 points? Hodges just goes into his shell and has a sook and rolls his eyes when things go wrong. He doesn't stand up and demand better. He acts like he's above the terrible play Brisbane produce at times. Hardly inspiring for the troops.

It's a douchebag thing to say "This never would have happened if Locky was still there," but it's true. And not because he's a future immortal. Not because he's a stunningly gifted playmaker who would have kicked to the corners and ran a game plan designed to strangle Cronulla out of the game; it's his leadership. No one wanted to be the one to let Lockyer down and so they didn't.

In the years before, it was Bennett, along with the likes of Langer, Lazarus and then Tallis whose steely gaze bolstered the resolve of even the Dane Carlaw-iest of players.

I'm all for sacking Griffin but the idea of Brisbane on the coaching merry-go-round is depressing. The only available coaches are has-beens and rookies. And Kearney, of course, who strangely sits somewhere in between.

The Bennett-Walters combination is a fantasy and would be far too costly for Brisbane's liking. They've spent a huge amount on the the Logan Broncos Junior Rugby League Academy so while Griffin has them in top eight, it would be easy to justify keeping him on costing alone.

So, yeah. Sack Griffin. I get the feeling the next guy will have a thread like this of his very own before long anyway.

Sorry for the wall of text. Haven't posted in a while so it's all backed up, like when you put your dog in a kennel for the holidays and he sees the couch cushions for the first time after you bring him home again.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
^^ You speak as if taking a punt on rookies is a bad thing. Bellamy, Hasler and Toovey were all rookies at one stage. Toovey very recently.

Dazzat

First Grade
Ivan Henjak and Griffin ... following in the great man's footsteps was never going to be easy. But I agree with Hooch that the departure of Lockyer and Connell are just as telling.

And possibly - the departure of Gee is also crucial - but in a different way.

The reality is - they club cannot sack Griffin because there's no current alternatives.

Kiwi

First Grade
Hell I'd be willing to give the Walker Brothers a crack, atleast they promote attacking footy

hooch is crazy

Juniors
You speak as if taking a punt on rookies is a bad thing. Bellamy, Hasler and Toovey were all rookies at one stage. Toovey very recently.

You're not wrong but Bellamy and Hasler took a couple of years to really see results. Toovey is a good coach but was helped by the culture and playing group he inherited.

My point was that sacking Griffin is unlikely to be the magic answer. I'd be happy to see a new coach but not just for the sake of it. No one is going to bring back the glory days so who is guaranteed to get a better result than one win outside the top four going into Origin three?

some11

Referee
Tony Smith is the guy I've nominated as next coach, if the Dragons snap him up without a fight I will be pissed.

Also next year it'll be one premiership in 15 seasons.. the aura is well and truly gone and it's time to do something about it.

Big Pete

Referee
Easy to say sack the lot of them but where do the replacements come from? Jack Gibson isn't waiting in the wings, ready to be re-animated and handed a clipboard. The fact is the leadership holes left by Bennett and Lockyer are not being filled. The hole left by Cyril Connell will take a very long time to fill, too. Do not underestimate the effect this has, and will continue to have. The things that set Brisbane apart from the also-rans are gone.

So where's the next legendary leader?

Who was throwing fire and brimstone behind the goal posts when Cronulla hit 18 points? Hodges just goes into his shell and has a sook and rolls his eyes when things go wrong. He doesn't stand up and demand better. He acts like he's above the terrible play Brisbane produce at times. Hardly inspiring for the troops.

It's a douchebag thing to say "This never would have happened if Locky was still there," but it's true. And not because he's a future immortal. Not because he's a stunningly gifted playmaker who would have kicked to the corners and ran a game plan designed to strangle Cronulla out of the game; it's his leadership. No one wanted to be the one to let Lockyer down and so they didn't.

In the years before, it was Bennett, along with the likes of Langer, Lazarus and then Tallis whose steely gaze bolstered the resolve of even the Dane Carlaw-iest of players.

I'm all for sacking Griffin but the idea of Brisbane on the coaching merry-go-round is depressing. The only available coaches are has-beens and rookies. And Kearney, of course, who strangely sits somewhere in between.

The Bennett-Walters combination is a fantasy and would be far too costly for Brisbane's liking. They've spent a huge amount on the the Logan Broncos Junior Rugby League Academy so while Griffin has them in top eight, it would be easy to justify keeping him on costing alone.

So, yeah. Sack Griffin. I get the feeling the next guy will have a thread like this of his very own before long anyway.

Sorry for the wall of text. Haven't posted in a while so it's all backed up, like when you put your dog in a kennel for the holidays and he sees the couch cushions for the first time after you bring him home again.

Fantastic post.

So much better than the usual mindless 'sack the coach' post that gets spewed over and over again.

Latest posts