What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How it should have been handled

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are wrong, but no amount of evidence to prove that will be accepted by you reefy.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Reefy, you just don't get it.

Carney ain't some average joe who plays in reserve grade, part of his job is to not be a grot, look at the big picture, it's not all about Carney, it's about so much more.
And back too, go follow chess.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
I agree with Reefy with how the club should have handled it.

Stood him down pending investigation. Allow him to plead his case to the board, and at that stage make a decision - even if it was a sacking.

It is not the sacking I have a problem with. It is the lack of professionalism and accountability of the board and managers.

Exactly. As far as I'm concerned the punishment does not fit the crime.

My point is there is a guy in the AFL charged with sexual assault who has been named to play this week. How the f**k does pissing in your own mouth compare to that? What about the guy who allegedly touched up a 17 year old who is still running around or the guy who beated up his mrs as he caught her in bed with his cousin after mad Monday festives?

Joke of a club

Alan Shore

First Grade
Exactly. As far as I'm concerned the punishment does not fit the crime.

My point is there is a guy in the AFL charged with sexual assault who has been named to play this week. How the f**k does pissing in your own mouth compare to that? What about the guy who allegedly touched up a 17 year old who is still running around or the guy who beated up his mrs as he caught her in bed with his cousin after mad Monday festives?

Joke of a club

There is a double standard when black players are accused of rape or indecent assault. The Aborigines get to go to court and whine about their disadvantaged background. I'm sure Daw the Sudanese refugee AFL player charged with rape will inevitably do the same, and his lawyer will drone on about him coming from a war-ravaged country as though that is a defence to rape.

carcharias

Immortal
And then our best player thought it would be a good idea to piss up into the air and drink it!!

Deadset
Just when I thought things could not possibly get any worse...
good ol Carney manages to pull off the unimaginable!

Last edited:

Ads

First Grade
And then our best player thought it would be a good idea to piss up into the air and drink it!!

Deadset
Just when I thought things could not possibly get any worse...
good ol Carney manages to pull off the unimaginable!

Well he didn't actually drink it though. Kinda lessons the sickness of it all doesn't it.

carcharias

Immortal
Man
People can cry from the roof tops
It won't change a thing

Piss in mouth on purpose .

Fatal for him
Did us a the biggest " non favour" ever.

The Popper

Bench
I agree with Reefy with how the club should have handled it.

Stood him down pending investigation. Allow him to plead his case to the board, and at that stage make a decision - even if it was a sacking.

It is not the sacking I have a problem with. It is the lack of professionalism and accountability of the board and managers.

I tend to agree with this. He should have been heard. I guess with all the krap going on with our club they always have to try to play everything the `politically correct' way to avoid castigation or even worse from the powers that be. At least the NRL seemed to have backed our Board's decision. I was half expecting them to let him sign with Easts or Broncos or any ony of their perceived `favourites'

wibble

Bench
Well he didn't actually drink it though. Kinda lessons the sickness of it all doesn't it.

But why should we care about the "sickness".

He can ingest anything he likes (that isn't "performance enhancing" or "against the spirit" of sport, the last one being some made up crap category just like "disrepute" to be used as a way of saying you can't do that because we said so) and it shouldn't matter, as long as he isn't hurting anyone else.

Parramatta managed to be sponsored by James Hardie for 15 years, and that was good business and perfectly acceptable to the media, the NSW RL/ARL and all "good citizens", even though their business killed thousands (which was known during the time they sponsored the Eels).

But piss in your own mouth and the world is caving in, mums and dads can't sleep at night knowing their precious little ones may too, attempt to be professional bubblers, and sponsors wouldn't want to touch us (and some sponsors of NRL clubs manufacture/promote terrible items that contribute to obesity and actual harm of our kids, much more dangerous than piss).

You can't make the world be sensible over night, and we are starting to care less about the private and harmless actions of others (you don't get stoned in this nation for having the "wrong" beliefs, or sexual orientation or doing "morally objectionable" things), but we obviously have a long way to go, as this "incident" shows.

Carney didn't hurt anyone, except people who are trying to be "hurt" from the outrageousness of it all. I wish he didn't have to explain himself at all over such a nothing incident (unlike his dangerous driving incidents), but given that we are operating in a prejudiced, unfair and prudish environment (mostly because we are still trying to throw of the shackles of Christiandom- we don't burn or lynch mob any more but you can still lose your job if you offend the wrong groups, obviously), we probably needed to do something to appease the Hardie and junk food approving masses and institutions.

But that something didn't have to be firing our best player, and best (and probably only) chance of finishing in the top 8 for the next few years. I don't care about the Shark's fortunes more than anything else, I would not mind if we sacked Carney if he committed a criminal offense, but I don't think the team should be consigned to battling to avoid the spoon for years, just to appease moralists delicate sensibilities.

Madsharkie

First Grade
No one is arguing with you about the society we live in wibble. We all know how precious and 'politically correct' it's all become. All the more reason for Carney to not put himself and the club in this position.

And there is injustice between different players, clubs and codes. No doubt.

I think if this was his first offence it would've all been smoothed over. Personally I don't have an issue with the incident (aside from poor taste... no pun intended). Unfortunately Carney has a bad history and a simple 'rap over the knuckles' wouldn't suffice this time around. I don't think there was any other result for him other then being sacked. The nrl, and to a lesser extent merkins in the media, simply wouldn't have allowed it.

Yes the club could have handled the process better (can't we always). But I think the outcome would've remained the same.

Such a shame, cause the guy is an awesome player and just seems to have lost his way. Again...

Anyway, for me it's time to move on because this shit has already caused enough pain for us cronullafied folk.

Surely

Post Whore
Dear Public

Yes carney drinks piss if you dont like it go eat shit, you whinging whining moaning nosey f**ks.

The ceo

wibble

Bench
No one is arguing with you about the society we live in wibble. We all know how precious and 'politically correct' it's all become. All the more reason for Carney to not put himself and the club in this position.

And there is injustice between different players, clubs and codes. No doubt.

I think if this was his first offence it would've all been smoothed over. Personally I don't have an issue with the incident (aside from poor taste... no pun intended). Unfortunately Carney has a bad history and a simple 'rap over the knuckles' wouldn't suffice this time around. I don't think there was any other result for him other then being sacked. The nrl, and to a lesser extent merkins in the media, simply wouldn't have allowed it.

Yes the club could have handled the process better (can't we always). But I think the outcome would've remained the same.

Such a shame, cause the guy is an awesome player and just seems to have lost his way. Again...

Anyway, for me it's time to move on because this shit has already caused enough pain for us cronullafied folk.

Not sure I'd use the term "politically correct" here. That is a term invented to silence minority voices by ironically accusing them of some sort of censorship.

Possibly fighting the media and outraged public opinion wouldn't change any one result, but consistently fighting is the only way to try to tip the scales back from prejudice to reason.

Like I've said before, I think Carney was just being stupid, not trying to strike a blow for individualism. But if we continue to allow moral outrage to guide how we defend our squad, then not only are we perpetrating an unjust system for dealing with player behaviour (one that may exclude minorities, and may excuse truly harmful behaviour as long as the outrage is not there), but we continue to weaken our team.

So defending a little more vigorously here is in my opinion, not only the right thing to do, but also the smart thing to do.

webShark

Not sure I'd use the term "politically correct" here. That is a term invented to silence minority voices by ironically accusing them of some sort of censorship.

Possibly fighting the media and outraged public opinion wouldn't change any one result, but consistently fighting is the only way to try to tip the scales back from prejudice to reason.

Like I've said before, I think Carney was just being stupid, not trying to strike a blow for individualism. But if we continue to allow moral outrage to guide how we defend our squad, then not only are we perpetrating an unjust system for dealing with player behaviour (one that may exclude minorities, and may excuse truly harmful behaviour as long as the outrage is not there), but we continue to weaken our team.

So defending a little more vigorously here is in my opinion, not only the right thing to do, but also the smart thing to do.
Could be said the Sharks were smart. Given an excuse , offloaded a wildly out of form high cost player. Could have been carefully considered.

You weaken your team losing sponsorship possibilities. Weaken your team by being seen out of it on a regular basis. Weaken the club by alienating many of your fans.

You put more thought into this post than TC put into his entire career.

Last edited:

Latest posts