What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Shakib Al Hasan appreciation thread

aussies1st

Staff member
Would love to see him play in India but boy hes a talent just keeps picking up wickets and runs.

JJ

Immortal
He was impressive... but, hate to say it - we (NZ) are beyond poor, so there's an asterisk surely?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I have to admit - the Bangas are crap but I do enjoy watching Tamim Iqbal and Shakib Al Hasan play. great YOUNG (VERY YOUNG) cricketers. Could become superstars - neithers stats does justice to their ability, yet.

Helmet Man

Juniors
Came across this thread and thought i should put it up on the map.

His batting has regressed a bit. Picked up the second best stats in t20 during the Carrabean T20. 6/6. But performed poorly in the Friends Life T20 comp in terms of batting.

He doesn't flight the ball like he used to in tests. That's how he used to get a lot of his wickets. I think this is because of T20 cricket as he has been playing a lot of T20 cricket lately so therefore he bowls more directs and attacking to maintain a good economy rate (he is very economical in t20s).

He did have a operation on his shin and was injured for a bit so i hope he goes into full swing in his next international duties against NZ (next month i think). He came to Sydney to get treatment on his shin so most of you lot missed out on meeting him as he attended a book festival in Ashfield.

Despite his rough patch there is no doubt that he is a quality cricketer and probably the only genuine all rounder in world cricket besides Kallis. But I have noticed that in his batting he is very impatient and doesn't try to work for runs like he used to. Needs to pick out the deliveries to hit because he tries to hit all of them.

He just needs confidence in his game to get back into full swing and hopefully against NZ he can show his true colours. I guess he can't carry the whole team on his back all the time.

Even though he isn't at his best atm he still has outstanding stats for an allrounder. Test batting average of 36 and a bowling average of 32. One thing i love Shakib for is that he plays domestic cricket (in Bangladesh) he plays poorly but when he wears his country colours he is a whole different player and lifts in international matches.

That is why we Bangladeshi fans call his "Iceman".

Last edited:

Helmet Man

Juniors
Very sad but i think Shakib will fall through the cracks. He just isn't the player he was in his earlier days. Also he doesn't seem to take his cricket as seriously because he is requesting all these breaks to spend time with his wife. He knows he is in charge and BCB will allow his to do all this. Takes his position in the team for granted. I hope he can get back in full swing asap because the competition within the Bangladesh team is increasing.

Helmet Man

Juniors
Very sad but i think Shakib will fall through the cracks. He just isn't the player he was in his earlier days. Also he doesn't seem to take his cricket as seriously because he is requesting all these breaks to spend time with his wife. He knows he is in charge and BCB will allow his to do all this. Takes his position in the team for granted. I hope he can get back in full swing asap because the competition within the Bangladesh team is increasing.
Great to see him performing today as I was slightly losing faith in him 12 days ago. After his time is up with the Strikers he is going to play in a test series against Sri Lanka so i don't know if he is prepared for the test series as he is now playing T20. Hope his good performances continue.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Outstanding display first up on Australian soil. Don't get too down Helmet Man. I thought he went fine in the test series against NZ, he can't do it all on his own all the time.

Understand the concerns about him being too focussed on domestic T20 but that's just the reality of life as a relatively well-known Bangladeshi cricketer, surely.

Helmet Man

Juniors
Outstanding display first up on Australian soil. Don't get too down Helmet Man. I thought he went fine in the test series against NZ, he can't do it all on his own all the time.

Understand the concerns about him being too focussed on domestic T20 but that's just the reality of life as a relatively well-known Bangladeshi cricketer, surely.
I guess so. But watching Shakib play for ages i know how much talent he has. And so i know even though he is performing well now if he wanted to he can take his performances to a whole new level. He has that type of talent. He is a very passionate and dedicated cricketer on the field. But i know for a fact that he is one of the most laziest players in the Bangladesh team. Its weird right that the best Bangladeshi cricketer is also the most laziest player. He doesn't train hard and he doesnt put in the effort. But he still pulls of amazing things on the cricket field. That just shows the immense talent that he has. So he is doing injustice when he plays badly. And i stated before there are cracks in his game that he needs to work on that will make him a consistent world class player.

African Monkey

First Grade
I guess so. But watching Shakib play for ages i know how much talent he has. And so i know even though he is performing well now if he wanted to he can take his performances to a whole new level. He has that type of talent. He is a very passionate and dedicated cricketer on the field. But i know for a fact that he is one of the most laziest players in the Bangladesh team. Its weird right that the best Bangladeshi cricketer is also the most laziest player. He doesn't train hard and he doesnt put in the effort. But he still pulls of amazing things on the cricket field. That just shows the immense talent that he has. So he is doing injustice when he plays badly. And i stated before there are cracks in his game that he needs to work on that will make him a consistent world class player.

I heard Tamim Iqbal isn't the greatest trainer either

Patorick

Staff member
If the last World Cup didn't teach them to train harder, not sure what will.

Well, besides the IPL, but even then.

Helmet Man

Juniors
I heard Tamim Iqbal isn't the greatest trainer either
Yeah its the senior players Tamim and Shakib who don't train hard enough. Tamim you can tell doesnt train because he has a pot belly. Shakib/Tamim love the batting in the nets bit of the training but when it comes to the actual fitness aspect they are lazy as f**k. That is why Tamim tires so easily when he reaches his fifty almost always fails to convert his fifty to a hundred. Just doesn't have the endurance. That's what i meant by not utilising their talent to their potential. They are doing injustice.

Mushfiqur is known to have the best work ethic going around. That's great for the captain to send the right kind of message to the youngsters in the team. Saqlain Mushtaq (Bangers spin coach) commented on it before saying Mushfiqur's preparation is the best he has ever seen. And Saqlain has coached/played with many great players throughout his whole career.

Last edited:

Helmet Man

Juniors
Good all round perfomance by Shakib in this match. 5/148, 50, 1/80, 43*. Might be a bit too critical but he could have easily converted his fifty into a hundred but he threw away his wicket. His conversion rate is very poor.

Helmet Man

Juniors
Deservedly so. His attitude towards the management and everyone around him has been disgraceful.

Timbo

Staff member
Dangerous game to play. If he retired he could spend the rest of his career making big bucks on the T20 circuit.