What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2015 Newcastle Knights Coaching Staff

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
(There is spattered discussion on this in the "Wango is leaving" thread, so i thought it would be better to separate it into its own thread)

Who do you think should be Head Coach next year?? Does RStone deserve another shot or should we go somewhere new??

Is there anyone else youd like to see brought into the coaching staff?? Ive heard Garth Brennan mentioned, also Rip Taylor (but i dont know how serious that was...)

RHCP

Bench
Rick Stone should get an opportunity. He was going well when we signed Bennett and if it wasn't a legend of his calibre, it would've been a really harsh decision on Stoney.

Since then he's served an apprenticeship under the best or second best, depending on who you ask, coach of all time, taken Fiji to the semi-finals of the World Cup and gotten the Knights NSW Cup side into two preliminary finals. He knows the boys well and he's been in the community for years now.

He did as well as Benny with a much worse squad and when he was coming into his own, getting to put his own stamp on the squad rather than Smithy's leftovers, he got cut short.

Give him a shot imo.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Stoney would probably be the front runner with guys like Henry, K.Walters, Brennan, etc in the mix

Knowing our luck we will probably get Sheenius

Noname36

First Grade
Give Stone a 2 year contract with Crawley as assistant.

As long as it's not Walters or Brennan.

TooheysNew

Coach
Stoney would probably be the front runner with guys like Henry, K.Walters, Brennan, etc in the mix

Knowing our luck we will probably get Sheenius
We could do worse than Sheens as Coaching Director.

He definitely needs a coach under him, but as far as sorting out the rubbish, he would do the job.

Burns

First Grade
Give Stone a 2 year contract with Crawley as assistant.

As long as it's not Walters or Brennan.

Why not Brennan out of interest? I didn't know much about him till today,but his resume seems alright?

Johns Magic

Referee
Why not Brennan out of interest? I didn't know much about him till today,but his resume seems alright?

Yeah and Walters too. I don't know much on either of them beside their resumes but obviously Noname knows something about them?

Noname36

First Grade

I've spoken to a few blokes that played under him in the lower grades here and they didn't have the highest opinion of him to say the least. I understand that's just people's opinions though and others may see him differently.

If I recall he didn't have the greatest of lower grade coaching success here either. I could be wrong though.

If we're going for someone of his calibre then I don't see why he would be any improvement on Stone.

Walters is just a gut feeling based on our results this year with him involved as halves coach. I'm just talking out of my arse on that one.

Last edited:

JENKO7

Juniors
Matt johns and gus Gould have massive wraps on Brennan and his results at panthers have been good, I would say their pretty good judges

Swarzey

Bench
Certainly Rick Stone. I think a lot of the guys who played under him enjoyed it and backed him to take the role again when Bennett was originally going to leave at the end of next year.

Henry is the only other bloke I'd like to see the club take. His results at NQL aren't exactly great, but if anything last year's run into the Top 8 shows that club will never achieve anything with egos running the show.

I think it's pretty important after the Bennett back stab we get in a guy the players will trust and not an outsider.

Mental state based on Smiths comments ain't the best ATM.

Tim Sheens is my pick. Not saying necessarily the right one but i can't see a up and comer getting a look in for a while yet. I just feel the new board will go for an experienced coach to keep the playing group intact.

Last edited:

Jobdog

Live Update Team
One thing with Rick Stone (if he is to be the choice) is that we know the team will play football and it'll be at a reasonable level if the brief insight we got a few years ago was any indication.

Swarzey

Bench
I really just want to see this team have a bit of creative flair, throw the ball around etc. Some of our best moments from last year came from throwing it around and taking some risks with kicks. I do worry that maybe Stone will try to maintain the style of play Wayne installed in the team, but no doubt unlike him, he'll make changes to it if needed.

Coaching a side to have a high completion rate means nothing if you can't make the right plays in the final third of the ground in attack. Our completion rates last year would make a side like The Roosters or Souths unstoppable. Cleary has asimilar approach to wayne but he has tweaked his attack to give it more than one point of threat. He essentially pushes a defence to react how he wants it to. If his team get the choices right they are successful more often than not.

Anyone who isnt a dinosaur and who wants to keep with the changing times. Someone who coaches to our players and team strengths, and preferably a coach that will win us a comp or 3. How hard can it be?

Frederick

Staff member
I heard on the radio this afternoon that Matt Elliott had been spotted house hunting in Newcastle.........