What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels' salary cap doesn't fit, shelling out more than $750,000 for departed

El Diablo

Post Whore
makes no sense

Melbourne were cheating the cap and were not allowed to let players take a cut to fix things up and it took them less than a year to right the ship

so why will it take us two years when we are not massively over the cap like Melbourne were :crazy:

Kornstar

Coach
FFS why do you simpletons need a scapegoat? It's obvious why we're still f**ked - as soon as you back-end a few contracts chasing a premiership you need to pay for it at some point by effectively spending less of your cap in a future year.

But with an endless coaching merry-go-round none of the incoming coaches want to be the one to pay the price, at least in their first couple of years, and so they also need to back-end contracts so that they can field sufficient playing talent.

The only way to get out of the rut is to fill your squad with cheap depth, which means retention of under 20s players. But if the players in that age group are all gash they're not going to help. You need to keep buying players from outside the club (paying overs) and back ending every new contract to fit them under the cap in their first year or two.

:blahb::blahb:

He also said that Arthur only has 21 players to choose from every week from the top 25, so basically we do not have a top 25 this year, only 21......

He praised Arthur and what he has achieved with all the constraints he has had to deal with.

yy_cheng

Coach
FFS why do you simpletons need a scapegoat? It's obvious why we're still f**ked - as soon as you back-end a few contracts chasing a premiership you need to pay for it at some point by effectively spending less of your cap in a future year.

But with an endless coaching merry-go-round none of the incoming coaches want to be the one to pay the price, at least in their first couple of years, and so they also need to back-end contracts so that they can field sufficient playing talent.

The only way to get out of the rut is to fill your squad with cheap depth, which means retention of under 20s players. But if the players in that age group are all gash they're not going to help. You need to keep buying players from outside the club (paying overs) and back ending every new contract to fit them under the cap in their first year or two.

Its so they can vent. Pou, you dont have to read these forums. Go read the Waratahs forum instead

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Its so they can vent. Pou, you dont have to read these forums. Go read the Waratahs forum instead

I want to have rational discussions about rugby league. There's only a handful of you that seem to be interested in anything other than endless venting.

Don't you merkins have Facebook where you can carry on like teenagers?

Kornstar

Coach
I want to have rational discussions about rugby league. There's only a handful of you that seem to be interested in anything other than endless venting.

Yes, that is what you want, a conversation. You really just want to argue with people all night and try and feel superior.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Maybe we could take some players off other clubs in similar deals in the meantime just to make up the numbers. Surely other clubs have some cap issues we could use in our favour.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

I had 6 homebrews and a beef stroganoff last night and have been endlessly venting ever since.

#DutchOven

EelsFan05

Bench
Maybe we could take some players off other clubs in similar deals in the meantime just to make up the numbers. Surely other clubs have some cap issues we could use in our favour.

I think the transfer date has passed for players wanting to move to other clubs for this year.

hybrideel

Bench
I wonder if this has come out after we had lost 3 straight with a good chance of a 4th for a reason. This has now lowered the fans expectations for the rest of this year and next and taken all pressure off the players and coaching staff. We have pretty much just been told not to expect to be playing near the end of September until at least 2016.
And i bought my flights for the WCC a month ago.

Jodeci

Bench
Seward was on 2GB this afternoon and said it relates back 6 years.......who are we still paying from f**king 2009? Seriously?

He said it was not one persons problem but a collective. Considering we never signed anyone for longer than 3 years, i find it hard to believe that we would be paying for players who left 6 years ago when their contracts never ran that long anyways???

He reiterated that there would be no problems after next year and that essentially there will be more pain till 2016.......

Seward is spot on.

The Head Coach back then and recruitment officer signed the likes of Hicks, Shack, Webb and co and we let go Inu, Mateo, Lowrie, Kingston, etc

Under Pete Nolan, we have not back ended any deal and that is fact.

We are in this mess and paying other blokes at other clubs because mid way through last year, the club led by its head coach at the time and management took the strong stance of releasing players with a year left on their contracts and hence why we have to pay for some part of their wage and that $750,000 also includes the money we are paying the Sharks for De Gois.

But it's funny how one journo says we have no money but another journo says we have money to chase DCE.

I can say that the $4 million for 4 years won't get us DCE.

Jodeci

Bench
I wonder if this has come out after we had lost 3 straight with a good chance of a 4th for a reason. This has now lowered the fans expectations for the rest of this year and next and taken all pressure off the players and coaching staff. We have pretty much just been told not to expect to be playing near the end of September until at least 2016.
And i bought my flights for the WCC a month ago.

Bingo.

Absolutely spot on.

Expect more of the same this week after that loss on Friday night against the Bunnies.

Stagger eel

Staff member
So true Strider. We've heard it all before.

Than the dopes in our board react by axing coaches because dopes in the media and various websites threaten a stampede of the clubs office if they don't get what they want...

I'm sure we'll hear it if the next 6 weeks gets a bit nastier

Then it's back to square 1

Stagger eel

Staff member
Seward was on 2GB this afternoon and said it relates back 6 years.......who are we still paying from f**king 2009? Seriously?

He said it was not one persons problem but a collective. Considering we never signed anyone for longer than 3 years, i find it hard to believe that we would be paying for players who left 6 years ago when their contracts never ran that long anyways???

He reiterated that there would be no problems after next year and that essentially there will be more pain till 2016.......

Snow ball...

Jodeci

Bench
Snow ball...

How can there be issues next year Stagger?

All the blokes mentioned are off contract end of this year.

Plus we are loosing Smith, Fui, Sio, Paulo, Tonga, Kelly, Jones, Foran, Lasalo.

So where has that money gone?

We resigned Mannah, Vai, Manu and Wicks for next year.

So who is exactly managing our salary cap at the moment.