What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels' salary cap doesn't fit, shelling out more than $750,000 for departed

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Seward is spot on.

The Head Coach back then and recruitment officer signed the likes of Hicks, Shack, Webb and co and we let go Inu, Mateo, Lowrie, Kingston, etc

Under Pete Nolan, we have not back ended any deal and that is fact.

We are in this mess and paying other blokes at other clubs because mid way through last year, the club led by its head coach at the time and management took the strong stance of releasing players with a year left on their contracts and hence why we have to pay for some part of their wage and that $750,000 also includes the money we are paying the Sharks for De Gois.

But it's funny how one journo says we have no money but another journo says we have money to chase DCE.

I can say that the $4 million for 4 years won't get us DCE.

depends if its just about the money

you dont think Arthur is part of the draw card ?

Jodeci

Bench

You don't think Toovey is also?

DCE only had 1 yr with Arthur.

The draw card is that both DCE and Arthur are managed by the same company.

The club has officially cut its ties with the biggest sports player agency with Riolo and Moses.

strider

Post Whore
also extended matterson ... and did junior paulo get an extension? ... and aren't we trying to tie up moeroa? .... all chews up a bit of cap

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I can see why we are struggling cap wise this year but honestly what is holding us back next year???

We are letting go a stack up players and unless we have upgraded our gun juniors on massively upgraded deals i just can't see where all our cap is going.......

strider

Post Whore
but if u extend a contract early, don't you often chuck em a bit more the remaining year they have to entice them to sign???

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

I think DCE will be getting more than $1 mill per season from us but not all of it will go towards the cap. I reckon he and his manager have sorted out some 3rd party deals and could easily be in excess of $200k.

Remember contracts are all about the corporate dollar.

Stagger eel

Staff member
You don't think Toovey is also?

DCE only had 1 yr with Arthur.

The draw card is that both DCE and Arthur are managed by the same company.

The club has officially cut its ties with the biggest sports player agency with Riolo and Moses.

Serious? How did we re sign Mannah then?

And why was DA and Moses sitting with the same group the other night..

It's all very confusing to me

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Good to know it has absolutely nothing to do with 6 years ago.

Also good to know we didn't sign any backended contracts under Nolan.

Cheers for the info emjaycee.

Jodeci

Bench
I think DCE will be getting more than $1 mill per season from us but not all of it will go towards the cap. I reckon he and his manager have sorted out some 3rd party deals and could easily be in excess of $200k.

Remember contracts are all about the corporate dollar.

Part of the deal may be that we take another player also from the Orrs which will even strengthen the relationship between the club and Orrs to entice the deal happens.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How can there be issues next year Stagger?

All the blokes mentioned are off contract end of this year.

Plus we are loosing Smith, Fui, Sio, Paulo, Tonga, Kelly, Jones, Foran, Lasalo.

So where has that money gone?

Any of the players currently contracted for next year could be back-ended, including Hayne, Hopoate, Sandow, Junior Paulo, Lussick, Peats, etc etc. That's where the money will have gone. If we want to sign players for next year we will probably need to back-end them into future years. The alternative is to sign nobody until 2016 which will make the fans f**ken whinge.

This is how it snowballs.

strider

Post Whore

Under Pete Nolan, we have not back ended any deal and that is fact.

Any of the players currently contracted for next year could be back-ended, including Hayne, Hopoate, Sandow, Junior Paulo, Lussick, Peats, etc etc. That's where the money will have gone. If we want to sign players for next year we will probably need to back-end them into future years. The alternative is to sign nobody until 2016 which will make the fans f**ken whinge.

you must have missed the post above pou

Maroubra Eel

Coach

No backended contracts under Nolan, sorry.

Jodeci

Bench

Pou. Trust me when I say this, Hayne and Sandow are not back ended.

Sandow is $400,000 cap for 4 years, his 3rd parties are over and above and Hayne is much the same though obviously not $400,000.

Peats I'm not sure what the deal is there and Lussick is a fixed amount also for 3 yrs.

The new Mannah contract could be all cap and no 3rd party? $400,000 for a front rower is a fair chunk.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Good question. Maybe for the young kids there could be that uplift in their final year.

That's exactly what you do. This is where the retaining club has the advantage, and why it's so difficult to just go out and buy the best NYC players, as so many fans keep suggesting we do. Other clubs aren't going to just let them go. We certainly wouldn't. Not now anyway.

If you want the best under 20s players you have to sign them when they turn 18, not when they're already 20 years old. And even when they're only 18 they're not easy to poach. Plenty of clubs are after these kids.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
you must have missed the post above pou

It's bullshit that we haven't back-ended anybody under Nolan. Wasn't Loko on $100k this year and $400k next year? He only re-signed last year, when Nolan was here.

Back-ending contracts is something every club does. If you need a player for next year but don't have the space to pay him what he wants you pay him extra in future years where there's plenty of space. At the moment at least.

We only have a dozen blokes signed for 2016, and none of them are superstars. That means we have heaps of cap room. If our cap next year is already close to full, and at this stage of the year I'm sure it is, then any new signings for next year will be back-ended into 2016 and beyond. If next year's cap wasn't full of back-ended deals then we would have more space for signings and we wouldn't need to keep back-ending them. The only way to stop it is to stop signing players for a year - just let the back-ended contracts trickle out of the cap and start fresh for 2016.

It looks like that is what we are doing with all this 'our cap is f**ked' talk, and I hope we do. We have a good enough squad to make the finals next year, as we did this year.

Unfortunately in previous years they kept whinging about the f**ked salary cap (and I'm sure it was) but they kept going out and signing f**ken players anyway, meaning they were back-ending them all to fit them in. Thank f**k the NRL knocked back Folau's massively back-ended deal or we could be f**ked through until 2017 or later.

Latest posts