What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos Recruitment

Bronco18

Juniors
I wonder if the Broncos recruitment arm are waiting until the end of the year to see if Manly's players stick together or not. If Matai, Stewart and Watmough are all demanding releases, it's pretty unlikely that DCE would be going anywhere.
Sew Hunt up long term now, before the Sharks offer him overs.

Kiwi

First Grade
Ben Hunt is now getting mouthy and saying he is open to offers for 2016

I don't think he is getting mouthy, he knows we are chasing DCE and he has done his time getting screwed around by the coach, playing as a second hooker off the bench while an over the hill Prince gets a chance and Wallace was persisted with for years. He could have walked into the Knights starting 7 spot when his last contract expired. He finally gets a chance and is killing it, yes he makes a couple of errors here and there, but boy does he make up for it, and the errors are getting fewer and further apart. The kid could take out the Dally M, he looks a cert for the halfback of the year, and despite all that, we are looking elsewhere for another half, if I was the kid, I would have left by now, so I can't blame him for testing his value on the open market.

hellteam

First Grade
Seriously I don't blame him. We owe him more than he owes us. We stuffed him around for years as a bench hooker when he probably could have started, or at least had a shot, somewhere else. And now he has pretty much carried our team this year despite him probably being on the same amount or less money than Stagg. If we don't sign him up in the next few weeks I will be so pissed off. Id rather stick with him than pay ridiculous money for DCE

Kiwi

First Grade
Seriously I don't blame him. We owe him more than he owes us. We stuffed him around for years as a bench hooker when he probably could have started, or at least had a shot, somewhere else. And now he has pretty much carried our team this year despite him probably being on the same amount or less money than Stagg. If we don't sign him up in the next few weeks I will be so pissed off. Id rather stick with him than pay ridiculous money for DCE

700k for Hunt over paying 1.2 - 1.4mil for DCE is a win for me, leaves us with plenty of cash to keep our promising young players and Kennedy for a further 12 months under Bennett to see if he can be sorted out.

oikee

Juniors
Let Hunt go. It will only end in tears trying to keep him anyhow. Once a players wants to leave, you let them leave and chase a player who can win you a tital.
Go after Cherry Evans for every penny he is worth, 1.5 million if need being, pay him what he is worth, back-end the deal like Manly do if it means getting him to the Broncos. You cant beat em, join em.

We have Barba Milford and Evans, let Hofman Hunt go and dont buy Boyd.
You want to grow your crowds and build memberships, then buy some superstars, stop worrying about no names like Hunt Boydy and Hofman, they wont put bums on seats.

Brisbane has lacked true superstars since Bennett left, now it's time to shine again.

Last edited:

Bretto

Bench
Let Hunt go. It will only end in tears trying to keep him anyhow. Once a players wants to leave, you let them leave and chase a player who can win you a tital.
Go after Cherry Evans for every penny he is worth, 1.5 million if need being, pay him what he is worth, back-end the deal like Manly do if it means getting him to the Broncos. You cant beat em, join em.

We have Barba Milford and Evans, let Hofman Hunt go and dont buy Boyd.
You want to grow your crowds and build memberships, then buy some superstars, stop worrying about no names like Hunt Boydy and Hofman, they wont put bums on seats.

Brisbane has lacked true superstars since Bennett left, now it's time to shine again.

:lol:.

:crazy:.

:lol:.

bfoord

Juniors
Nothing article IMO, every player says the are open to offers before saying that there preference is to stay

Kiwi

First Grade
I know generally the Mole is full of shite, but he reported Mason was keen for one more season and wanted to do it under Bennett at the Broncos. I have said it before I would be very keen to see Mason at our club for 12 months. He has been to top, all the way to the bottom and fought his was back, I think having him mentor Kennedy and Garbutt would be worth Masons weight in gold. Mason knows what being the big bad arse forward in the teams requires him to do, if Kennedy and Garbutt are smart they would watch, listen and learn.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Ben Hunt. To stay in IMO. It's a nothing article. He has shown this year that he can be a half in the nrl. He has always had the talent and skill just lacked confidence. The club won't let him go. With the salary cap in mind I don't think we've got enough room for dce and that's even without hunt. I'd expect dce to stay with manly anyways.

Dazzat

First Grade
HOW TO NEGOTIATE A NEW CONTRACT FOR MAXIMUM RETURN WHEN YOU WANT TO STAY AT YOUR CURRENT CLUB

Step one: Your agent sends out press release stating that you are keen to try the market and look around on what's on offer.

It's a well worn path that Ben Hunt is travelling in search of a few extra $$$.

Would love to see Mason come to the club. Kennedy for one needs a little Mason-mongrel if he stays.

Kiwi

First Grade
This is a little concerning

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/ti...ented-young-guns/story-fndv2w3r-1227002575009

WAYNE Bennett will only have seven weeks to lock down the best crop of young talent the Broncos have produced since he left the club.
It is understood Broncos officials have told player managers this week that negotiations with their clients will be put on hold until September when Bennett finishes his duties with Newcastle.
The best of the Broncos young talent, including 17-year-old prodigy Jayden Nikorima, are off-contract at the end of next season and can negotiate with rival clubs from November 1.

The Knights last game is on September 7.
If Bennett wants to extend contracts of the current roster before rivals tempt them with mega offers, he will have less than two months to do so.
If anyone can rope in prodigies however it is Bennett.
Ben Hunt has already spoken of his desire to test the market and Bennett's commitments to the Knights mean key targets Corey Oates and Josh McGuire will likely meet with NRL rivals.

Player managers have long-spoken about a "Broncos spell" that sees players sign for less without even negotiating with rival clubs.
There is genuine anger in the Broncos playing group that Anthony Griffin has been fired and for several of the younger players it has been a blunt realisation that loyalty doesn't exist in the NRL.
There are also players at the Broncos who were off-side with Griffin and welcome Bennett's arrival.
While Bennett will have little time to try and secure the roster, the depth at the club is its strongest since 2008 when their under-20s team made the grand final under Griffin.

The club's fullback logjam is the most pressing issue at Red Hill.
Ben Barba and Josh Hoffman will be joined by star custodian Anthony Milford next year.
Milford said this week he would play wherever Wayne Bennett wanted him too but it is obvious his best position is fullback.
Hoffman is also off-contract at the end of next season.
The traffic jam for the No.1 jersey could cost the club its most talented teenager, with Jayden Nikorima set to test the open market during the off-season.

Nikorima is one of several young Broncos who had been negotiating with the Broncos prior to Anthony Griffin's dismissal.
Nikorima, whose older brother Kodi is also on the Broncos' books, is off-contract at the end of next season.
Brisbane officials have met with the 17-year-old Australian Schoolboys fullback in attempt to negotiate a contract extension but the dynamic playmaker is concerned about his pathway to firstgrade.

He now wants to concentrate solely on football for the rest of this season and then discuss contracts in the off-season.
Griffin wanted to secure Nikorima long-term and it is understood the club views him as Barba's eventual replacement.
Nikorima's representative performances suggest he should play first grade as a teenager but that is unlikely to happen at the Broncos.

Bretto

Bench
My gut feeling tells me Bennett will sign Hunt, then build a team around him, much like he did with Lockyer. Bennett loves big forwards too, so McGuire might be finding himself out of a spot if he's not careful. Having said that, I'd love to keep him.

You start with a core of players: Hunt, Barba, Milford, McCullough. There's your spine. Couple good props: McGuire (?), Hannant (?), Kennedy (?), Mason (?). Throw in the worlds best Lock: Parker (Dodds or Oates to replace him if he's injured etc). I think then Bennett's biggest headache will be the Backrow. Thaiday is lazy, Glenn has not had his best year, but is always safe and toils hard, and Gillett has been injured for a while, but is the worst defender in the NRL. Bennett won't cop the missed tackles.

I think the backline kinda picks itself outside of the spine. Copley, Hodges, Vidot, Kahu, Nikorima, Drew, Maranta. I don't see a place for Reed.

Ostensibly, the team looks great. I'm very interested to see what Bennett actually does, but my gut tells me he'll build around Hunt, much like he built around Lockyer and Soward.

Dazzat

First Grade
Regarding McGuire, Bennett may switch him to the back-row, where I think he's more suited anyway.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Seriously I don't blame him. We owe him more than he owes us. We stuffed him around for years as a bench hooker when he probably could have started, or at least had a shot, somewhere else.

This is why I can't understand this kids loyalty to Griffin. The bloke f**ked him over for years while favouring other halfbacks.

hellteam

First Grade
The problem with our team/club at the moment is that our "good", highest paid players just aren't producing, haven't been for some time, and I don't think they ever will again. These are players you pay top dollar for, the game winners.

Take a look at our Kangaroos (past and present) players - Thaiday, Hodges, Gillett, Parker. Apart from Parker, none of them can be relied on to put in a good shift every week. Thaiday turns up for 2 games a year in Origin (does nothing for us), Hodges is injured 50 percent of the time and I've never seen a player as inconsistent as Gillett. Plus our other internationals, Glenn, Hoffman, Reed, have been struggling for a few years now.

And then we have other players, on comparatively low wages, carrying the team. I'm talking about Hunt, Copley, Vidot, McGuire, McCullough. It's a strange situation but we have a decent base to work from here.

In conclusion, I'm sad to say it, but I think we need to cut ties with Thaiday and Hodges. Sometimes clubs have to make these tough decisions, they're not popular at the time, but they need to be done.

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Yeah agreed that some tough decisions need to be made.

Thaiday goes alright but not for someone on his coin. He needs to be our leader on the field week in and week out. The odd good game is not good enough.

When Hodges went off injured tonight it didn't really bother me at all, which is scary. He is just not having impacts on games anymore plus you can't rely on him as he could get injured at anytime.

Gillett is really starting to annoy me too. What does he bring to games anymore?

Brostocow

Juniors
The problem with our team/club at the moment is that our "good", highest paid players just aren't producing, haven't been for some time, and I don't think they ever will again. These are players you pay top dollar for, the game winners.

Take a look at our Kangaroos (past and present) players - Thaiday, Hodges, Gillett, Parker. Apart from Parker, none of them can be relied on to put in a good shift every week. Thaiday turns up for 2 games a year in Origin (does nothing for us), Hodges is injured 50 percent of the time and I've never seen a player as inconsistent as Gillett. Plus our other internationals, Glenn, Hoffman, Reed, have been struggling for a few years now.

And then we have other players, on comparatively low wages, carrying the team. I'm talking about Hunt, Copley, Vidot, McGuire, McCullough. It's a strange situation but we have a decent base to work from here.

In conclusion, I'm sad to say it, but I think we need to cut ties with Thaiday/Hodges. Sometimes clubs have to make these tough decisions, they're not popular at the time, but they need to be done.
I have been saying for many years that Thaiday needs to go. I can't understand how he can continually get a Origin/Aussie spot. Extremely overrated and should have never been captain in the first place.

Latest posts