What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 vs. Storm Discussion + Voting

Country Bronco

Juniors
Disappointed as it was one of our worst performances of the year. Credit to Melbourne they did the job on us. Possession early was a killer it was something like 84% storm 16% us. Second storm try was extremely dubious. But we fought back. As stated before game we needed to score 22 plus to win. Hodges decision not to pass on line break was atrocious. We just continued to panic and make mistakes all game handing it to Melbourne. The left hand edge was ok. I thought it would leak points. It was the other edge when Hoffman strolled over the top of Gillett to score. That put the nail in our coffin. We had no line speed in defence all night. Maranta had a shocker. Hunt was off his game. One pleasing performance was Copley. Hennant was strong again. Look forward to manly next week. We're on a hiding to nothing but we can at least play better.

renouf

Juniors
I only saw the highlights but it looks like the defence was all over the shop again. Griffin has never got that consistently under control, and we've rarely ever been able to slow down the ruck. Bennett can definitely fix that.

Snappy

Coach
Main problem was attitude and lack of line speed. Storm just rolled up the field at will, and then when we actually managed to get some good field position we gave it away with stupid errors.

That team selection was a joke. We need Vidot to get our sets rolling, and he better be back next week.

Then there was that bench line up. Like WTF
Granville would have added a lot in that game, and Reed can just f**k off.

That f**k Griffin is going. All hail king Benny.

Bretto

Bench
You don't.

Brisbane did all the hard work to hold Melbourne to six and get a crack at their line only for Hunt to hand Melbourne the ball and score in that same set.

Summed it up really.

I can't believe you're going to single Hunt out after that team performance.

Hunt probably had his worst game of the season, but the rest of the team were pathetic. So were the team selections and bench use.

I don't care what any stats sites say, Gillett missed 7 tackles last night and one of them was 1 on 1 with Hoffman for an easy try. I counted them.

Thaiday didn't make a single hit up in the first half. He made maybe 4 or 5 in the second half and in every one of them, as soon as he gets to the defence, he just flops to the ground like it's a training drill. He's heavier than I've ever seen him and he's lazy as all get out.

Oates played 6 minutes and Reed played not much more. Neither of them had a chance to do anything, then they were taken off again. Oates was replaced with Gillett, who promptly missed 2 more tackles, one of them being the Hoffman try.

It is utterly, utterly brain dead to use a bench like that and expect any other result than what we got. The players looked exhausted at the 50 minute mark.

We desperately missed Vidot's meters.

Copley is a beast. He should stay Left Centre, but he probably won't. Vidot needs to come back in for Maranta. Barba had his best game of the year. Made 2 nice line breaks and looked dangerous.

It's just hard to find too many positives. I'm trying to look at this objectively, but my common sense doesn't allow me to see past the monumental coaching errors.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member

Hunt probably had his worst game of the season, but the rest of the team were pathetic. So were the team selections and bench use.

I don't care what any stats sites say, Gillett missed 7 tackles last night and one of them was 1 on 1 with Hoffman for an easy try. I counted them.

Thaiday didn't make a single hit up in the first half. He made maybe 4 or 5 in the second half and in every one of them, as soon as he gets to the defence, he just flops to the ground like it's a training drill. He's heavier than I've ever seen him and he's lazy as all get out.

Oates played 6 minutes and Reed played not much more. Neither of them had a chance to do anything, then they were taken off again. Oates was replaced with Gillett, who promptly missed 2 more tackles, one of them being the Hoffman try.

It is utterly, utterly brain dead to use a bench like that and expect any other result than what we got. The players looked exhausted at the 50 minute mark.

We desperately missed Vidot's meters.

Copley is a beast. He should stay Left Centre, but he probably won't. Vidot needs to come back in for Maranta. Barba had his best game of the year. Made 2 nice line breaks and looked dangerous.

It's just hard to find too many positives. I'm trying to look at this objectively, but my common sense doesn't allow me to see past the monumental coaching errors.

^^^^ Good post!

Thaiday's runs were a joke.

Live I thought Hoffman's try must have been through Hunt. Then on replay I found it was Gillett! Gillett really needs to make that tackle, it's not good enough.

ggmu

Juniors
^^^^ Good post!

Thaiday's runs were a joke.

Live I thought Hoffman's try must have been through Hunt. Then on replay I found it was Gillett! Gillett really needs to make that tackle, it's not good enough.

Completely agree on Gillett. He is dead set one of the worst defenders in the comp lately. Gets brushed of easily far to often.

Brostocow

Juniors
Disappointed as it was one of our worst performances of the year. Credit to Melbourne they did the job on us. Possession early was a killer it was something like 84% storm 16% us. Second storm try was extremely dubious. But we fought back. As stated before game we needed to score 22 plus to win. Hodges decision not to pass on line break was atrocious. We just continued to panic and make mistakes all game handing it to Melbourne. The left hand edge was ok. I thought it would leak points. It was the other edge when Hoffman strolled over the top of Gillett to score. That put the nail in our coffin. We had no line speed in defence all night. Maranta had a shocker. Hunt was off his game. One pleasing performance was Copley. Hennant was strong again. Look forward to manly next week. We're on a hiding to nothing but we can at least play better.
Hunt was partly tackled mid-air. I can't understand how that was a try. Not that it mattered because we were shit. Also, I only seen the replay a couple times but did Copley get the ball down for his try? From what I saw it looks like he lost control. Now equal leading try-scorer as well.

Completely agree on Gillett. He is dead set one of the worst defenders in the comp lately. Gets brushed of easily far to often.
I really think Gillett and Thaiday are overrated. Gillett is just too on-off. Thaiday gets talked up and spoke about so much, and in some cases it is deserved, but he should be a leader in every game with the wraps he gets. I thought taking the captain role of him was supposed to help. He should be competing for man-of-match performances most games. Does anyone know how much he is on?

oikee

Juniors
The Broncos have one win and everyone jumps up and down and hails the second coming.
This team and club is a basketcase. Has been since Bennett left, why do you think they wanted Bennett back.
The one out footy you witnessed last nite is all the Broncos can muster, and thank god we have the Storm to show up this basketcase team. Thank god they still dont have G.I or the score could have been 60 to 8.

oikee

Juniors
2 things.
The coach again went back to bad habits and brought Reed on as a utility player, we were lost when Reed hit the Field and he put Copley back on the wing and ahad Hodges running dummy half again. Bennett will knock that out of him.
I will say it again, this club will never win a comp with Hunt or Wallace.
We got rid of wallace, now it is Hunts turn. Let him go, i pity the team that buys the dopey dora.

Put 1.5 million on the table for Cherry Evans and lets get this party started.
Bennett needs to buy some grunt as well, our powderpuffs again got caught short.
While the Broncos were getting the stuffin knocked outta em, Bennett had a bunch of kids knocking off the mighty Roosters.
Next week we have to go to Manly and get the livers beaten outta us.
This club has fallen so far since Bennett left, we cant even beat Cronulla.

Last edited:

hooch is crazy

Juniors
Well, that was ugly. They looked like a bunch of strangers who only learnt the game a few days ago.

Gillett was worse than a passenger. I'd almost swear he's a double agent working against his team mates sometimes. He, and a few others, are in for a rude shock when Bennett comes to town. Someone with Gillett's defensive shortcomings doesn't make the top 17 in a Wayne Bennett coached side. Mainly because he's capable of much better and Wayne doesn't cop players under-achieving, especially when laziness if the main reason for that.

He's only one of many who had their worst game of the year, though. Griffin outdid himself as far as coaching like a man who doesn't understand the game.

I know that he does but there's not really any other way to explain his decision making. Glenn to dummy half was just a terrible decision. He should know how to pass the f***ing ball better than that but he should never have been in that position.

If you don't want McCullough to play 80, you have to select a ball player on the bench. That was really lazy coaching. He didn't want to use his imagination to come up with a real plan to cover the position when Macca needed a rest so he just grabbed a second-rower and jammed him in there. No surprise Glenn was quite shit at it. Oates and Reed getting about five minutes each defies all football logic when your team had less than 20% possession for the first 20 mins. Especially when you're taking them off for the likes of Gillett to come back on when he had no right being on that field in the second half at all.

Thaiday was the least effective I've seen him since the height of his osteitis-pubis problem. The thing where he hits the defense and just flops to the ground is pathetic and lazy but the hip problem is probably a big cause of that. Also, his laziness.

Hunt tried his guts out but nothing was working for him. He has nowhere near enough support in the kicking game. Melbourne were starting the vast majority of sets within 20 metres of halfway. Their kicking game was, naturally, brilliant but it helps a lot when no one bothers to try and pressure Cronk. He should be getting (legally) smashed every time he kicks. He was barely touched.

No point trying to hang anyone in particular for that game. They were all pretty useless, with the exception of a few. I hope they understand the rest of this season is a job interview.

As for positives; Barba had his most involved and effective game in Brisbane colours. That's good but makes you really, really sad when you check his highlight reel at Canterbury and realise what he's truly capable of. Copley is thriving at the centre position (when given decent service) and Maranta has surely done his dash again. Very good game last week and I'll always respect him for his contribution to that great win but he's not a first-grader's ringhole. Hopefully he did enough to allow Vidot to return.

Parker 3
Barba 2
Copley 1

Last edited:

Dazzat

First Grade
Very good summary Hooch. More of the same ridiculous team selections by Griffin - square pegs in round holes, and showing way too much blind loyalty to his under-performing under 20 groupies - McCullough, Reed and Glenn.

Melbourne obviously picked that Maranta's bomb taking last week, while under pressure, where all non contested. So Cronk applied the heat and he was found hopelessly wanting.

How Griffin didn't bring our best back - Vidot - straight back into the side, while bringing Reed back as a second-rower, is just insane.

Not sure if Glanville was injured, but if not, the Glenn experiment was just another example of why Griffin will be remembered as a good reserve grade coach at best. Even the Nine commentary team were flabbergasted at the pathetic service Brisbane had from dummy half tonight - the most basic aspect of the game just not up to standard.

And just way tired of Griffin's continual non-use of the interchange bench.

On Gillett, because this was the first year he's had a full Origin schedule, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's probably burnt out a little. His defence at the start of the year was great, but now a turnstile.

3. Parker
2. Copley
1. Barba

Big Pete

Referee

When a player comes up with the type of mistakes Hunt did, it's difficult to really get back in the game.

Coach killer after coach killer.

Wasn't the only bad egg out there but it was the worst halves performance of the season and shouldn't be dismissed.

Kiwi

First Grade
Pete you mentioned in the game topic you would make changes. What would be the side you would select for next week?

Big Pete

Referee
Nothing too crazy, yet.

Granville in for Reed.

Kennedy in for Lowrie.

Will be a tough game next week but after a loss like that, boys would have to be fired up.

Bretto

Bench
When a player comes up with the type of mistakes Hunt did, it's difficult to really get back in the game.

Coach killer after coach killer.

Wasn't the only bad egg out there but it was the worst halves performance of the season and shouldn't be dismissed.

He made a few mistakes, but when the forward pack were as terrible as they were, he hardly had anything to work with. We were getting rolled through the middle. Constantly. We barely made any ground either.

I wish we would play some proper Props and put Parker back at Lock where he belongs.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Man what a shocker. Most of the players looked like they didn't want to be out there. Total disarray with FA cohesiveness. Not sure if the whole Hook/Bennett fiasco had a lot to play and don't understand why it had to happen at this time of the comp and not in the off season. Most likely it's all about getting the old diehard Bennett supporters, along with their checkbooks, back into the fold while the seasons still going.

Anyway Manly will either will be our death knell or another glimmer of hope. Can't say I'm too confident.

3. Copley
2. Parker
1. Barba

Snappy

Coach
Will be a tough game next week but after a loss like that, boys would have to be fired up.

We thought we'd be fired up for the Storm game.

We're done for the year. Now out of the top 8 and we wont make it back in.