What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

oldmancraigy

Coach
It's just one play, and it's silly to make a case based on one play (can make anyone look bad that way), but this is the gist of what we are talking about with Morgs!

[and we could be wrong, but this is the kind of thing we are seeing]

oldmancraigy

Coach
:lol:

No wonder I'm seeing things, looking at the wrong bloke

[[I'll try and remember to write down the timestamp on any instances of Morgan actually getting sucked in too far, and then post the piccies - too hard trawling through the whole game again - it'll make me watch the bloke and maybe prove myself wrong anyway]]

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He might have improved this year (and wasn't even involved in that play) but Sandow is still a massive weakness in defence, and he affects our entire right hand side. It can't be easy defending on his immediate outside.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I don't think Sandow has improved, but I'm probably watching Norman....

The one thing I think I noticed (looking at those pictures) is that Sandow is 6 in from the edge (so had been involved in a tackle or 2 earlier) - but makes a definite effort to get over in cover (not that he got there), I suppose he's trying?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think Sandow has been told just go for the old fashion tackle around the legs and hope support arrives. In an interview with Moeroa recently he said his job was to look after Sandow.

I reckon he has been defending better or has been protected a lot better then previous years.

strider

Post Whore
sandow is defending HEAPS better ... he is actually grabbing hold with his little trex arms

Forty20

First Grade
Hard to hear all the changes but Cecil Mackenzine comes into the Wenty team for John Folau while Ben Fritz replaces Nic Walker on the wing.

I believe Sam Gorman also backs up from the Ron Massey Cup on the bench.

Forty20

First Grade
A minutes silence was observed due to a death in Joseph Ualesi's family, if I heard the announcer correctly.

Wenty will kick off to get the game underway.

Good set for Manly, nothing fancy but solid metres. They completes the set with a bomb that Justin Hunt takes cleanly.

Wenty pick up the first penalty of the game but fail to find touch. First coach killer of the day.

Manly come down Wenty's right first before switching to the other side of the field but the Magpies are able to hold the ball up on the last.

Forty20

First Grade
Basic stuff for Wenty as the ruck it out. Kelly shapes for a 40/20 on the fourth tackle but instead fires the ball out to his right. Wenty make decent metres but can't break the Sea Eagles open. A poor kick from Jones takes a lucky deflection on the next tackle and Wenty pick up six again.

The home team fail to do anything with the unexpected repeat set as Hunt spills the ball in the process of sweeping out to the right edge.

Forty20

First Grade
And now the visitors come up with an error with a minuscule knock on from dummy half. Wenty with great field position here.

Maliota is called on for the opening hit up from the scrum win and the ref blows a penalty for a hand on the ball. Pewhairangi sweeps the ball out to the left and finds Fabian Goodall who powers through a number of defenders to take the ball to the line.

I couldn't see what happened next as someone stood up in front of the play but Cecil Mackenzie ended up with the ball and dived over in the corner for first points.

The conversion is unsuccessful from Kelly.

Wenty lead Manly 4-0

9min gone

Forty20

First Grade
Danny Howard fields a mid range kick off as Wenty work the ball towards the left edge.

Play is called back to ensure that Ma'afu plays the ball on the mark. Allgood takes the final charge of the set and Kelly sends the ball high in the centre field. It is well taken by the Manly fullback.

Another simple set for the Sea-Eagles as the work the ball down Wenty's left and fire the kick off to the opposite side on the last. Fritz takes some time to secure the pill and it met by a wall of defenders.

Wenty have their backs up against it early in this set but a fantastic kick from Luke Kelly is signalled as a 40/20. The ball is swung from right to left from the tap restart but Wenty are out of sorts as Pewhairangi and Hunt fail to link up effectively.

The fifth tackle option is much better though as the cross field bomb is directed towards Ben Fritz, who out leaps his rival and quickly plants the ball for a pretty nifty four pointer.

The conversion is successful.

Wenty lead Manly 10-0

14min gone.

Forty20

First Grade
Some strong charge from Ma'afu and Goodall take Wenty deep into Manly's half before an astute kick from Kelly pins the Sea-Eagles in their in goals.

Line drop out to Wenty.

Allgood takes the first charge of the set. Ma'afu has the ball on the second and links up with Ben Fritz who has come in field but they fail to penetrate the line.

A few tackles later the ball comes back to Ma'afu who has an overlap to his left but he steps back to his right - beating the first and second defender and then simply throws the fullback away to score.

Wenty extend their lead to 16-0

19min gone.

Forty20

First Grade
Ben Jones fields yet another mid range kick off and has to tuck the ball under his arm. Fritz comes in field for some dummy half work and picks up a penalty as the Manly defence make some heavy contact around his neck.

Allgood and Maliota are used early in the set as Wenty position for a left edge movement. Kelly, Pewhairangi, Hunt and Goodall are all involved as Fabian puts Mackenzie over for his second of the day.

Wenty lead Manly 22-0

22min gone.

Forty20

First Grade
Strong ruck work from the Wenty big men in this set as they rumble over half way. Kelly sends it high but the kick is well taken by the Manly custodian.

Wenty give away a penalty for a hand on the ball which sees Manly resume play just short of halfway. The visitors come down Wenty's right edge this time round but fail to find any cracks. The work it to their right on the last before looking to bomb Ben Fritz who takes it superbly and then surges past the only chaser to make a cool 40m and a penalty. Great work by Fritz.

Alvaro is on and gets a slooow play the ball due to a Manly defender laying over him. Pewhairangi throws a poor pass to Goodall, who does well to take it and hold on. Wenty then switch play back to the middle and #24 slices through some sloppy defence and looks primed to score. He tries to fun over the fullback but loses the ball! Sloppy end to a good play.

Wenty then concede another penalty to put the Sea-Eagles on the attack. They kick early in the set, in behind Mackenzine, and it becomes a footrace for the ball. The Manly winger gets there first but on my first impression it looks like he took the ball dead. Neither the ref nor the touch judge were in a great position to call it but they are happy that he grounded it. Manly finally get on the board.

The conversion is unsuccessful.

Manly trail Wenty 4-22

30min gone.

Forty20

First Grade
Bit of momentum for Manly as they use dummy half runner to whittle away at Wenty. Alvaro does well to slow the ball down but Wenty undo the good work on the next tackle with a penalty for a hand on the ball.

Sea-Eagles on the attack once again. They start play down Wenty's left but Cecil Mackenzie forces an error after jamming in on a loopy cut out ball. Poor decision from Goodall there as he offloads into a Manly defender. Hint of a knock on from the Manly player but it was a poor play from Fabian.

Manly punish Wenty for the turnover as they cross down our right edge with a back line movement. Weak stuff all round there.

The conversion is unsuccessful.

Manly trail Wenty 8-22

34min gone.