What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 vs Bulldogs Discussion & Voting

gUt

Coach
Maranta would be fine as a player but he lacks one thing he absolutely needs in his position: speed. If he had some more pace he would presumably be more confident and this would help in the other areas if his game. As it is he is generally a crap finisher because he just doesn't have the wheels.
Still he gets respect from me because it's clear he values the jersey. Mick DeVere wasn't that quick either but he made himself into a fine player. I hope Maranta can do the same.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Maranta would be fine as a player but he lacks one thing he absolutely needs in his position: speed. If he had some more pace he would presumably be more confident and this would help in the other areas if his game. As it is he is generally a crap finisher because he just doesn't have the wheels.
Still he gets respect from me because it's clear he values the jersey. Mick DeVere wasn't that quick either but he made himself into a fine player. I hope Maranta can do the same.

and/or a deadly step might be useful too...

And no doubt he gives 110% for the Broncos. So he ticks that box, but probably fails to tick a whole bunch of others... On the plus side I do like the guy :)

Dazzat

First Grade
The fact is, if Maranta played at any other club, he wouldn't be in a bulls roar of making first grade ... particularly in light of some of his performances last year.

Put it this way ... if Maranta put himself on the open market now, his manager won't need to put on a receptionist to field phone calls.

I have a high standard for Broncos wingers. Disregarding Stuart Kelly, there is such a fine tradition of great finishers at this club and Maranta cannot live on taking a few bombs and expect to be a permanent fixture in this team.

He doesn't have speed. He doesn't have a step. He doesn't break tackles. He's not a big hitter in defence. He's Barry Maranta's son.

hooch is crazy

Juniors
Poor Lachie. It's all been said I spose but I will add that calling what he did against NZ "basics of the game" is understating things just a tiny, massive amount.

I'm excited. Love it when they play Canterbury. Not super confident but I'm not kicking cans either, just yet. The Waratahs just beat the Crusaders in the grand final, for christ's sake. Don't tell me Brisbane can't beat stinkin Canterbury at Suncorp.

Country Bronco

Juniors
I hope we win tomorrow night. Maranta scores a double and match winner. It's just the irony of it. It will be a laugh. Highly unlikely though. Like our chances of making the finals. I hope we make it. Grand final winners??? Not this year not even in my best of dreams.

Dazzat

First Grade
Poor Lachie. It's all been said I spose but I will add that calling what he did against NZ "basics of the game" is understating things just a tiny, massive amount.

I'm excited. Love it when they play Canterbury. Not super confident but I'm not kicking cans either, just yet. The Waratahs just beat the Crusaders in the grand final, for christ's sake. Don't tell me Brisbane can't beat stinkin Canterbury at Suncorp.

OK .. fair enough. I'm just saying the tough things to make myself unpopular. How about he defused a couple of difficult bombs late in the game that were critical for the team winning. However, I'm pretty sure there was no contact at all from the opposition. He didn't have to jostle for the ball is what I'm saying.

We should just get an AFL player to play if that's all we want in a winger.

In the old days, when Brisbane did smart things to win games, wouldn't we be switching play a lot and running our speed guys through the middle to put the blow torch on the Bulldogs big forwards? And you'd think G(r)(l)anville should get copious amounts of game time as well.

DeeJ

Bench
In the old days, when Brisbane did smart things to win games, wouldn't we be switching play a lot and running our speed guys through the middle to put the blow torch on the Bulldogs big forwards? And you'd think G(r)(l)anville should get copious amounts of game time as well.

Where have you been? Griffin doesn't make smart or even different gameplans.

hooch is crazy

Juniors
OK .. fair enough. I'm just saying the tough things to make myself unpopular. How about he defused a couple of difficult bombs late in the game that were critical for the team winning. However, I'm pretty sure there was no contact at all from the opposition. He didn't have to jostle for the ball is what I'm saying.

We should just get an AFL player to play if that's all we want in a winger.

Oh, don't get me wrong; Maranta has to go. I don't disagree with anything else you said besides downplaying his efforts in taking those high balls. Might stand out more than it should because of how shaky almost every other outside back been all year.

Granville should be getting 15 mins at least. Macca making 45+ tackles per game helps no one.

Big Pete

Referee
GTB - You're missing the point entirely.

It isn't about how much flack he gets in comparison. That was one topic because people threw a fit over a player receiving two votes and it was ridiculous.

It's about understating Maranta's efforts against the Warriors and how crucial his role was.

If fans can't give him that performance, then there's no reason to take anything they say on the matter seriously.

I'm not advocating for his return at all, just sick of the same old people failing to give player's a fair shake.

Dazzat

First Grade
There's an old saying Pete, "You're only as good as your last game". Sports like that. I'm sure young Lachlan is a great young kid, and is great to have around the club, but on average, over the past two seasons, his poor performances far exceed his good ones. He should consider himself very lucky to be playing first grade at all.

Big Pete

Referee
Never been a fan of that saying. It's the type of justification that saw all the knives come out against Locky in 2005/06.

So many things to discuss about this game, all people can do is bitch about the selection of a depth player...

Not exactly a whole lot of incentive to post around these parts now is there?

Bretto

Bench
Never been a fan of that saying. It's the type of justification that saw all the knives come out against Locky in 2005/06.

So many things to discuss about this game, all people can do is bitch about the selection of a depth player...

Not exactly a whole lot of incentive to post around these parts now is there?

Well, at least every second post isn't about Wayne Bennett agenda's like the other forum! :lol:

Dazzat

First Grade
Plenty other comments have been made Pete. It was you who made exception to the Maranta thing.

I've been pulled up on spelling! Now that's really inspiring me to post more.

G(r)(l)anville?
McCullough playing 80 minutes
Todd Lowrie's contribution

Big Pete

Referee
Never denied being the one taking exception. Maranta isn't the only one who cops nothing but flack on here and it's about time somebody speaks up because all some posters do on here is bag out the team at every possible turn.

As an avid supporter it's difficult to read these sorts of posts week in, week out.

You weren't the only target of the spelling line and it got old reading the same lines over and over about the coach ignoring players they'd obviously seen very little or none of before.

gUt

Coach
I used to feel the same way about the relentless assault on Peter Wallace. I've been pleased to be somewhat vindicated about that one :)

hooch is crazy

Juniors
I like Parker starting as a prop in this game. He, McGuire and Macca should do a good job on the big Dogs props in the middle but Gillett, Glenn, Thaiday and the halves will need to be switched on for when they get those short passes at the line going. That ploy can strip a side's edge defense real quick if the outside defenders don't hold their nerve. Shooting outside in will get them shredded.

Morris v Reed will be a good match up.

Bretto

Bench
Parker starting at Prop is a bad idea, IMO. He consistently gets rolled over in the middle with McGuire. They're a very small Prop pairing. I'd start Kennedy with McGuire and push Parker to Lock and either Gillett, Glenn or Thaiday to the bench, but that's just me.

hooch is crazy

Juniors
Parker starting at Prop is a bad idea, IMO. He consistently gets rolled over in the middle with McGuire. They're a very small Prop pairing. I'd start Kennedy with McGuire and push Parker to Lock and either Gillett, Glenn or Thaiday to the bench, but that's just me.

For pretty much every other game I'd agree with that configuration. Can't say I agree about Parker and McGuire being rolled in the middle. Both players are good defenders. Numbers in tackles are key and this is very true tonight because those two are quite small, but they won't miss many and they can both punish with their defense.

I'd like to see Thaiday benched after 20 with Hannant coming on to push Parker into the second row but I want Parker defending in the middle to begin with. Don't trust Kennedy at all.