What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Memory of Rugby League

gregstar

Referee
what is your first memory of rugby league?

the game saints won to get into the '75 grand final is pretty much my first recollection. specifically, i remember tatana kicking a goal.

the next game absolutely stands out because someone wore white boots.
i remember clearly my old man calling for him to "take the boots off!!!" lol!

interesting to hear others' recollections.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Can't remember what game it was exactly. I think the 96 or 97 grand final. Geoff Toovey getting his face stomped on.

HowHigh

Coach
I know I'd watched footy before it but the 1991 grand final Panthers vs Raiders is the first real memory I've got and Simmons scoring the winning try.

MrAnonymous

Bench
Watching Brisbane pump Penrith by about 40, 1996 I think, first game i went to. Another one is sitting in the pissing down rain parramatta-penrtih game. we scored of the kick off kicking the ball into a bunch of white balloons.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The 1982 GF, my late dad was Magpies fan and hated Manly with a passion. When i asked him who he was going for he said the Eels. he also said to me whoever you follow do not follow Manly or you will end up boys home. I took the advice and when the Eels won that day i was hooked. When we won two more in the next 4 seasons i thought this winning GF's sort of thing happens all the time. How wrong i was :lol:

Diesel

Referee
I was introduced to it around 1989/90 with the trading cards and RLW, I can't remember the first game I saw but I remember a game on tv around that time Manly v Broncos, Manly won by heaps and Broncos didn't score and Manly v Parra, both games at Brookie

PhilGould

Bench
Can't remember what game it was exactly. I think the 96 or 97 grand final. Geoff Toovey getting his face stomped on.
That was 97 vs Newcastle. Adam MacDougall was the one who stomped on Tooves.

That game is probably my first memory of Rugby League as well.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
1980 GF and the Steve Gearin try was the first game I remember. I do remember watching controversy corner with the pass the ball and the elephant before that.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Brad Fitler sidestepping all over the place as a 10 year old and Brett Mullins destroying people with longe range tries every week

gUt

Coach
My kindergarten pic with my Easts Tigers jumper, going to the old Lang Park to watch matches, watching the NSWRL grand finals on TV.

Charlie124

First Grade
I know I'd been going to a friend of the family's house for years to watch state of origin but the first time I remember sitting and paying close attention to the game was 1995 game 1. QLD won 2-0

t-ba

Post Whore
The first game I have clear memories of is Manly getting done over by North Sydney in 1992 and getting in a strop about it at NSO :lol:

cleary89

Coach
Remember being at a dragons game on the hill at kogarah and when we scored some guy spilled his beer over another guy and it ended up in a fight.

Also remember sitting infront of the old toilet block on the nor western end with skull at the fence behind us for the canberra game where I think it was sticky got on the radio and said there were heaps of beer bottles thrown at them. Also remember Coyne playing for QLD and being conflicted on whether to support him.

Was probably 5 or 6 for most of these memories.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
BRL match of the rounds at Lang Park circa 1986.

Not so much the footy but drunks at the ground chanting 'Wynnum Wynnum Wynnum'!

Those were the days when my old man would go to every Wynnum game, home and away. Some blokes still do.

I disappointed him by growing up an Easts fan as that is who I played for.

The earliest memories are from the 73 grand final. Blood, facials and punches with the occassional football being played. First game I went to was Easts V Cronulla at Endeavour. Unfortunately Easts lost but you could run onto the field at full time in those days. Got to pat Artie on the back and kick a ball around.

Latest posts