What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injuring other players through illegal play

POPEYE

Coach
Matai's been punished for every grubby tackle he's perpetrated so when it's his turn to be the victim the offender should be treated equally

Liddell

Juniors
There are 20 tackles like that every weekend. It's not Burgess' fault Matai is injured every time a finger is laid on him.

I was surprised the commentators didn't mention this, it seemed pretty blatant to me, they pulled his arm around to the back quite forcefully. It seemed like intentionally trying to injure his dicky shoulder. Deserves a couple of weeks suspension at least, IMO. This stuff is very rare when players try to injure the opposition, should be nipped in the bud.

butchmcdick

Immortal
No need for it from souths

Matai's arm would of snapped all on its own soon enough without burgess's intervention

It looked like a chicken wing to me

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Matai's been punished for every grubby tackle he's perpetrated so when it's his turn to be the victim the offender should be treated equally

Great theory :roll:

You do realise he has been heavily suspended in his career don't you?

Apey

Staff member
Very obvious chicken wing. Only brain-dead idiots are pretending it was anything but.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Very fond of Souths, hate Manly.

Thought the Matai tackle looked chicken wing-ish. I'm not saying it was intentional or particularly sinister, but for the safety of players it should probably be punished.

Meanwhile, I thought the Starling on Keary tackle may have had the result of a crusher from Keary's perspective, but wasn't in any way the tackler's fault ... it happened because of the way Keary ducked.

bottle

Coach
Every ref saw it. It wasn't even an offence. Let alone worthy of a significant punishment. It was a typical tackle where the tacklers manouevere the player onto his back. They were doing what they were trained to do. Happens a thousand times every weekend.

This is why people dismiss you as a fool.
Well, not just this, there are a multitude of other reasons as well.

bottle

Coach
Deliberate intent to seriously injure a player (one who I dislike intensely btw). Full force of the judiciary should come down on him.
It won't. Slap on the wrist in the works.

Danish

Referee
Where was hypocrite OP when Craig Wing's shoulder was dislocated by Riley Brown?

What illegal act was committed to injure Craig wing? Shoulder charges weren't banned at that point and no one had called held.

Danish

Referee
Deliberate intent to seriously injure a player (one who I dislike intensely btw). Full force of the judiciary should come down on him.
It won't. Slap on the wrist in the works.

Won't even be charged. The NRL won't want carryover points hanging over the heads of their golden side.

You mean like this

BurMj4JCQAE-yf3.jpg:small

:lol:

Great work. Freeze frame a split second moment. Did anyone get up and say they were gouged?

If he was, as is the case with gouging incidents, he would have jumped up screaming his tits off.

Clutch, clutch again then repeat.

:lol:

Did Matai get up and say that he had been chicken winged?

By the way, I didn't freeze frame anything.

Just found it online and that Rothfield is writing an article about the incident in tomorrows Daily Telegraph.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/buzz-shocking-alleged-gouge-by-manly-sea-eagles-star-josh-starling-an-eyesore-for-nrl/story-fni3gnk1-1227019769103

IN a shocking weekend for foul play, this is the photograph the NRL or the Manly Sea Eagles didn’t want to see.

Ace photographer Gregg Porteous caught Manly front-rower Josh Starling appearing to gouge Souths forward Dave Tyrrell in Friday night’s match at the SCG.

The second-half incident will be investigated by the NRL match review committee on their busiest morning of the season on Monday.

Throw it in with Josh Reynolds’ three brain snaps in Brisbane on Friday night and an alleged “chicken wing’’ that put Manly centre Steve Matai out of the match against the Rabbitohs and it’s an ugly look for the code.

I text-messaged the photo to both the Souths and Manly camps on Sunday to get their thoughts on it. Manly coach Geoff Toovey did not reply.

Working in Starling’s favour is the fact it happened right in front of referee Chris James.
On face value it looks shocking.

You’d think Starling would be trying to palm the player rather than using two fingers in a gouging position.

If proven guilty of foul play, Starling will be facing a long spell on the sidelines.

Depending on the level of intent, players in the past have been suspended for up to 20 weeks for gouging.

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have chosen not to comment.

Last edited:

DURRRHURRR

Juniors
I was surprised the commentators didn't mention this, it seemed pretty blatant to me, they pulled his arm around to the back quite forcefully. It seemed like intentionally trying to injure his dicky shoulder. Deserves a couple of weeks suspension at least, IMO. This stuff is very rare when players try to injure the opposition, should be nipped in the bud.

Commentators tried to gloss over the squirrel grab last year and channel 9 didn't show any replays of it. Same happened with a trip after a quick tap earlier this year.

TheDMC

Bench
Tagatese spear tackled Neilsen. Neilsen lays there pretty hurt and is off injured for the rest of the game. Fafita penalized and on report.

He should have had at least 10 in the bin, probably sent off. Yet he stays on and the warriors down a man. The refereeing is so crap, and getting crappier.

Last edited:

Latest posts