What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NYC scrapped!!

warrior poet

Juniors
National Youth Competition to be scrapped as league officials go back to the drawing board
Date
August 9, 2014 - 10:00PM

The National Youth Competition is set to be scrapped as part of a massive overhaul of the pathways to NRL progression.

The under-20s competition was ushered in with much fanfare in 2008, billed as the chance to showcase the best young talent in the game.

But the Holden Cup will cease to exist when the current broadcast deal concludes at the end of 2017 and replaced by age-based competitions aligned with NSW and Queensland Cup teams.

The ARLC has conducted extensive research on the current pathways to the elite level and there is a belief the NYC isn't serving as the best possible transition from elite junior to first grader.

It's understood the new state-based competitions would feature under-18s and under-20s age groups, which would then feed talent through to the current open-age NSW and Queensland Cup competitions.

The plan is for the champion team from each state to play off on grand final day, as will be the case when the VB Cup and Intrust Super Cup winners will for the first time in October.

"That is certainly something we'll look at as part of the next broadcast rights agreement," an NRL spokesperson said.

One of the problems plaguing the current NYC tournament is the exorbitant running costs.

This round alone, six U20s teams – the Bulldogs, Tigers, Roosters, Eels, Raiders and Storm – will travel interstate, while the Sharks head across the Tasman to take on the Warriors.

The travel and accommodation costs are a huge impost to clubs, many which are already struggling financially. Under the new system, there will be huge savings almost all games will be played along state lines.

The overhaul will also address concerns that many talented youngsters were leaving the game if they didn't transition straight from NYC to the NRL.

Another concern about the current system is that the best young players aren't on show in the under-20s anyways, as those poised to get a call up to first grade were being blooded against seasoned players in the NSW Cup to prepare them for the rigours of the big time.

Even before the NYC was introduced, there were concerns that it wouldn't serve its purpose.

Back in 2007, Des Hasler predicted it would be a "glorified SG Ball competition", with fellow coaches Wayne Bennett, Neil Henry and Ivan Cleary outspoken about their preference for blooding their gun juniors in the open-age competitions.

Holden's sponsorship, along with broadcast commitments, mean there can be no changes for another two-and-a-half years. However, the ARLC believe the changes will further boost the profile of the state-based competitions while still giving broadcasters an attractive television product.

NYC initiatives, such as the 'no work, no study, no play' edict, are likely to remain to ensure juniors have post-football careers to fall back on.

One of the challenges for the League is than not every NRL club has its own NSW or Queensland Cup affiliate. Melbourne and Cronulla, for instance, both provide players for the Sharks' feeder club side.

However, that situation could soon change as Cronulla are in negotiations to partner with Newtown from next season.

The Jets' nine-year association with the Roosters will soon come to an end after the premiers opted to link with Wyong to give them a crack at the talent on the Central Coast.

Cronulla CEO Steve Noyce has a good relationship with Jets officials from his time at the Roosters and there is a possibility a Sharks-Jets association could be formalised by the end of the week.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...wing-board-20140809-1028og.html#ixzz39wylD8f5

so what happens to the qld cup... if this means that the broncos, titans and cowboys will enter their own teams in the competition, what happens to their current feeder teams... will they just be left to fend for themselves financially?, or do the nrl teams have to choose one team to act as their feeder team? again what happens to the other teams? What about melbourne's qld cup feeder teams? Will melbourne play in the nsw or qld cups?

The fact that the sharks coming to auckland is mentioned makes me wonder what that means for the warriors!

Has anyone heard anything about this?

URL LINK: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ack-to-the-drawing-board-20140809-1028og.html

TheFrog

Coach
They are right about one thing- the gap between Under 20s and 1st grade is immense, and State Cup competitions are in the middle. Why this wasn't envisioned is anyone's guess. Maybe an Under 23 grade like they used to have would help. Some players are not ready for first grade by their 21st birthday.

I hope we see NSW/Qld Cup restored to its curtain raiser status, as this grade is much closer to first grade, and where the vast majority of injury, etc vacancies will be covered from.

Fazz_138

Juniors
This is a massive step backwards in my opinion. The answer is to get an open age comp set up in the same format as the NYC. I really don't see the wisdom in this. All it's going to do is utterly f**k over The Warriors, Raiders and hell, even The Storm. David Smith is absolutely making some big calls, but man, I can't help but think he is making the wrong ones. Time will tell whether he's a genius or an idiot, I suppose.

It's obviously bleeding money. NYC serves no purpose at all. I don't know what they were planning on achieving with this competition. It is so inferior to NRL yet it's marketed like reserve grade. Good move IMO.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
I've always wondered if a Universities/Tertiary Students competition would work. Could maybe lead to a draft as well.

insert.pause

First Grade
The problem is that a lot of kids choose league over union because 20s provides them with some profile, they travel and play at NRL grounds and get on tv, qld and nsw cup have to take up that short fall if 20s is scrapped, those competitions dont hold the same sort of glamour to a lot of kids.

I think the NRL have identified those competitions as their preferred second tier and would likely promote them and that might be where a draft fits in, people are more likely to follow second tier football if they are invested with discussion around possible picks by their clubs. They will need to promote it if they want to leverage it for tv rights.

half_back

Juniors
The NRL will need to think carefully about playing with the tribalism of the sport. Most fans don't identify already with their respective NSW/QLD Cup teams as for many they wear different jerseys and aren't badged the same. This I assume means there will only be one game on game day especially when travelling and when home it won't necessarily be against the NRL opponent. As mentioned it will take away from junior recruitment. I assume if it does go through there will need to be major work done on the second tier cap also. Lots of issues to sort through. Not mentioning the size of the TV deal. Fox pay for NYC and it consistently out rates super 15 rugby and the A League.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The problem is that a lot of kids choose league over union because 20s provides them with some profile, they travel and play at NRL grounds and get on tv, qld and nsw cup have to take up that short fall if 20s is scrapped, those competitions dont hold the same sort of glamour to a lot of kids.

I think the NRL have identified those competitions as their preferred second tier and would likely promote them and that might be where a draft fits in, people are more likely to follow second tier football if they are invested with discussion around possible picks by their clubs. They will need to promote it if they want to leverage it for tv rights.

Wouldn't take much tbh.

QLD Cup -> NRL 'Holden' Championship (North)
NSW Cup -> NRL 'Holden' Championship (South)

One game a week on Sunday FTA (like QLD Cup now) and a game or three on PayTV each week. Would also bring it inline with the UK system and make expansion a bit easier I'd imagine.

Eddie Lab

Juniors
as I said in the main thread I think the standard of NYC isn't great and the jump up is clearly too much for a lot of players. If the ARLC is committed with taking over all junior development and promote NSW/QLD cup to be a higher standard then I could get behind these changes.

gonna give the ARLC/Smith the benefit of the doubt until more details are released.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
so what happens to the qld cup... if this means that the broncos, titans and cowboys will enter their own teams in the competition, what happens to their current feeder teams... will they just be left to fend for themselves financially?, or do the nrl teams have to choose one team to act as their feeder team? again what happens to the other teams? What about melbourne's qld cup feeder teams? Will melbourne play in the nsw or qld cups?

The fact that the sharks coming to auckland is mentioned makes me wonder what that means for the warriors!

Has anyone heard anything about this?

I think Melbourne's feeder team next year will be Sunshine Coast Falcons, but once the Under 20s is scrapped, Im sure they'll have enough players to field a reserve grade team.

Since the ARLC was introduced they have wanted all teams to have reserve grade teams to compete against one another.

Mostly everyone was for it, except for a few members in the QRL as there are fears it could diminish the QLD Cup competition.

Nuke

Staff member
Regarding players playing in an open-age competition if they're not getting a run in their NRL team, instead of NRL clubs aligning themselves with just one NSW Cup / Qld Cup team (except, of course, for clubs who have their own NSW Cup team as well as NRL such as Cronulla, Penrith, Newcastle, Canterbury, ect), then why don't they distribute their players throughout the competition?

I hate referencing AFL, but from memory from when I was a kid, the Perth-based AFL clubs had their squads of (whatever the number is ... let's say 30-40 for argument's sake). Whoever doesn't get a run in the bigtime that weekend, they play for their local WAFL team. You might find two/three/four players per WA team that are contracted to one of the two 'big' teams.

Newcastle used to do this back in the day too. There was the NRL team (or NSWRL / ARL as they were then known), plus a Reserve-Grade team, and all other players who weren't in either squad played in the local Newcastle Rugby League comp.

This might be an easier task in Qld, where there are only 3 NRL teams and 13 Qld Cup teams in which to distribute players. You could add Melbourne's players into that mix too. This keeps the competition as even as possible.

warrior poet

Juniors
Regarding players playing in an open-age competition if they're not getting a run in their NRL team, instead of NRL clubs aligning themselves with just one NSW Cup / Qld Cup team (except, of course, for clubs who have their own NSW Cup team as well as NRL such as Cronulla, Penrith, Newcastle, Canterbury, ect), then why don't they distribute their players throughout the competition?

I hate referencing AFL, but from memory from when I was a kid, the Perth-based AFL clubs had their squads of (whatever the number is ... let's say 30-40 for argument's sake). Whoever doesn't get a run in the bigtime that weekend, they play for their local WAFL team. You might find two/three/four players per WA team that are contracted to one of the two 'big' teams.

Newcastle used to do this back in the day too. There was the NRL team (or NSWRL / ARL as they were then known), plus a Reserve-Grade team, and all other players who weren't in either squad played in the local Newcastle Rugby League comp.

This might be an easier task in Qld, where there are only 3 NRL teams and 13 Qld Cup teams in which to distribute players. You could add Melbourne's players into that mix too. This keeps the competition as even as possible.

the warriors used to do this too. every player in the nrl squad was assigned a nz bartercard cup team (for nz players it was generally their local regional team, ie; lance hohaia with waicoa bay/ simon mannering with wellington) and if they didn't play first grade they were sent back to those teams... from what i understand (and others will know more about it than me) most of the time players were not available and the clubs didn't get much benefit (would vary depending on team).

maple_69

Bench
I think all the stated reasons are valid but I don't think its leading to the right result.
It has been a goal for a long time to have a National Reserve Comp alongside the NYC. This is just conceding defeat to the QRL.
Id like to see a national comp at reserve and 20s level all playing the same draw on game day. 20s play first, then reserves. 20s who don't make it to national reserves go to NSW/QLD Cup to develop.
Money shouldn't be an excuse with a lot more money in the game. Next deal we should be demanding an NRL channel and all fox NRL games should have the fox crew their to get the lower grades and air throughout the week. Maybe try and get nine to do the Friday games as well and air on FTA on sat and sun morning. Game of the week for NSW and QLD Cup and you have 24 games to broadcast a week.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Pedantic but the article cites last round as having six teams traveling interstate. The most basic research would've showed the writer Eels v Raiders was not moved to Darwin but actually played at Wenty on Sunday. f**king idiot.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I wouldnt want to see a nation reserve grade comp as it would weaken the NSW and QLD cup comps. Would also cripple and lower the profile of some great clubs like Nth Sydney, Newtown, Redcliffe, Wynnum Manly, etc. The game needs to grow at grass roots level and these clubs are heavily linked for the most part to junior systems

The only issue is having clubs in those comps not having a feeder arrangement with an NRL side and getting belted week in week out. I think it would be ideal if every NRL club had a feeder arrangement with at least 2 lower tier clubs across both comps. It may not be practical but in simple terms it would strengthen the game imo

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I've always wondered if a Universities/Tertiary Students competition would work. Could maybe lead to a draft as well.

Just an association between the Universities and the current lower grade teams would be enough without any drastic change necesary...

We need to decide exactly what you want to achieve; player development or community/fan connections.

Unis would be perfect for the potential fans. All that would need to happen is rebrand reserve grade teams to align with the university (Illawarra Steelers > UOW *somethings*). They could use the fields within Uni campuses and go from there.

The players wouldnt necessarily need to be uni students, just these kinds of associations would latch onto the parochialism of Uni life and student groups.

Even if the game is just a place for students to go and drink during the day, thats enough to begin with...

Latest posts