What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Centres

ozenzud

Juniors
Ben Henry proved today he should never, ever, no matter how desperate we are, ever play in the centres again.

Ben was going good in the forwards. But his performance today was just terrible. He was the worst on the field.

Probably followed by Tomkins who chose today to play rubbish.

How much longer will it be for Hurrell to be out? The longer he is gone, the less likely we are to make the finals.

Even Nielson would have been better today. I am one of his biggest critics. I have to say he was showing improvement and actually passed the ball a couple of times.

I agree with the comment on Henry, he was friggen hopeless to day, Lulia made him his bitch

Tomkins tried hard but things just didn't go his way.

Is the problem Thomas??????
Friend comes on and the team settles down and plays good footy, the attack starts to flow and the defencive line doesn't buckle. Friend comes off and Thomas back on and we fall behind again

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yeah, we need Hurrell, and Neilsen is ahead of Henry in the pecking order. Agree too that TL hasn't really justified his spot yet.

shinobi

Juniors
hmmm interesting observations re: Friend. i was actually happy to see TL starting but it did really show that Friend coming on did change how we were going.

vvvrulz

Coach
Our centres are Hurrell, Laumape and Nielson
Henry is not a centre, just a stop gap

We're unlucky to have lost 2 of the 3 centres, never thought I'd miss Nielson but he's stepped it up a notch in recent weeks

WithTheDawn

Juniors
Hurrell has to be back next week. We just miss a certain spark with him out of the team. With him in we would have scrapped past the Knights for sure.

Agree with the Henry comments though, really bad game from him. Get him back in the forwards or on the bench. He is generally good cover (including centres cover), but clearly shouldn't be out there as a first preference. Neilson is at least defensively solid, and we needed that today as well.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Henry has had plenty of more than capable games at centre. It's not his position and the loss isn't on him solely. A capable backup but just had a shit day. It happens

JJ

Immortal
the hating of Henry is funny... Newcastle has have some serious punch out there, and Mullen is one of the best halves (and most often overlooked) in the comp... they took advantage of a mistake, which I'd like to watch again because it might have been a systemic one rather than a terrible read from Henry...

The terrible read of the day went to Johnson at the scrum imo

vvvrulz

Coach
the hating of Henry is funny... Newcastle has have some serious punch out there, and Mullen is one of the best halves (and most often overlooked) in the comp... they took advantage of a mistake, which I'd like to watch again because it might have been a systemic one rather than a terrible read from Henry...

The terrible read of the day went to Johnson at the scrum imo

I thought Fusitua was far worse than Henry, he was all over the show
It was basically a free run down his edge

Meth

Staff member
Henry has had plenty of more than capable games at centre. It's not his position and the loss isn't on him solely. A capable backup but just had a shit day. It happens

yep

I'm sure he'd prefer to not be playing at centre too.

We all seem to have forgotten about the many shit performances of Nielsen too. That's how fickle we are. One bad performance from Henry, he's out. A couple of half decent performance from Nielsen, he's in.

Personally, I think that there's a big drop from a Laumape/Hurrell centre pairing. That's just the way that it is

Meth

Staff member
I thought Fusitua was far worse than Henry, he was all over the show
It was basically a free run down his edge

I agree. But he scored a couple of acrobatic tries, so we'll overlook that.

Izz

Bench
Fusitua is still scared on defense. Also needs to realize how big his frame is.

Personally would've preferred to see Laumape on that side and Henry partnered with Manu for this game.

sup42

Juniors
Lack of experience is the greater issue if you take Dane out of it because he is not a rounded player and the club should aim higher.

Matai would have been such great fix for the lack of experience.

People who can shore up the edges of the Warriors need to be prioritized.

They need smarter wings and Centers to help phase in players like Laumape....and to ensure someone like Hurrell isn't the most experienced center in the team.

This position has been horribly managed by recruitment for the longest time.

JJ

Immortal
Only since Tate left... I am not clear on why a Laumape Hurrell combination isn't ok, they're good enough, so simple really...

Henry didn't cost us that game imo, it was broader than that - and we had Hurrell and Nielsen both hurt, so depth is an issue but that has been addressed. I'd be tempted to keep Nielsen if it is feasible cap wise, for depth.

For me the priorities remain a middle forward (and/or getting Matulino back there) and developing Townsend (or finding a better solution) and developing a replacement for Friend

Blair

Coach
Not breaking news but Brent Tate's finally retired. A true warrior.

I watched the ABC (Australia) news report. There was no mention of his stint at the Warriors, it was all Broncos, Maroons, Kangaroos and Cowboys.

That oversight, whether deliberate or not, was no big deal but a bit annoying.

Michael 'Put the ball down, son!' Witt also retired at 30, that's pretty young.

Those two Qld'ers were part of a memorable Warriors era.

Last edited:

Latest posts