What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ICC cracking down on illegal actions

Tom Shines

First Grade
If the great man Nathan Hauritz can carve out a 17 test career without turning them, let alone chucking 'em, then so cab everyone else.

Timbo

Staff member
I was living in Worcester a few years ago when he played for them as an overseas player. It was blatant then - the fans nickname for him was 'chuck' - and nothing has changed.

jargan83

Coach
We've got 4 new Pakistani blokes at the Cricket Club and they all chuck it. Spoke to one of them and he thinks the ICC is picking on Ajmal and Pakistan

typicalfan

Coach
ICC led them down the garden path and all of a sudden a tough stance? Ajmal may never fix his action but if it was identified early he'd have a better shot.

Whose fault is that? Shows that having a soft stance on governance leads to the players and fans losing out.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I cant see him changing his action that much 42-15 = 27 degrees change

typicalfan

Coach
Yeah his career is most likely over. Even if he changes it, he won't be the same player. I don't have a lot of sympathy but I do have a little because he has been encouraged to 'bowl' the way he has for so long.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Pakistan ban 16 domestic bowlers

Pakistan cricket officials on Thursday suspended 16 domestic bowlers with suspect actions in a major crackdown against chucking following the ban of ace spinner Saeed Ajmal.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/2014/9/25/pakistan-suspend-16-bowlers-amid-action-crackdown

Everyone trying to copy Ajmal ?

What did they expect after letting him get away with this shit action for 10 years.

Well we know why they got away with it for 10 years don't we.

muralitharan_narrowweb__200x328.jpg

jargan83

Coach
PAKISTAN coach Waqar Younis has questioned the timing of cricket authorities’ crackdown against chucking, just months away from the World Cup, and suggested that rules on bowling actions be relaxed for spinners.

In an interview with AFP, the former pace great said key all-rounder Mohammed Hafeez’s confidence was left shattered after he was reported for a suspect action in the T20 Champions League, a fresh blow to Pakistan following the loss of Saeed Ajmal to a chucking ban.

Ajmal, the world’s leading one-day bowler, faces a race against time to complete remedial work by the World Cup, to be held from February to March in Australia and New Zealand.

He was suspended earlier this month after he was found to straighten his elbow up to 43 degrees — well beyond the 15 degree limit prescribed under the rules, the point where a kink becomes noticeable to the naked eye.

Since then, Hafeez and West Indies spinner Sunil Narine have been among four players reported during the Champions League.

Though the action has no direct bearing on international cricket, Waqar said the bowlers would now be under intense scrutiny.

“Is this the right time to enforce the protocols and the technology?” he said.
“I am asking this because every team plans ahead of the World Cup, and the suspensions will badly hit the teams whose bowlers got suspended or questioned.

“I mean the protocols and the technology should have been enforced after the World Cup,” he added.

Ajmal’s suspension came as part of a wider drive by the International Cricket Council against bowlers with suspect actions, with Sri Lanka’s Sachitra Senanayake and Kane Williamson suspended in July this year.

Bangladesh’s Sohag Gazi and Al-Amin Hossain along with Zimbabwe’s Prosper Utseya were all reported after Ajmal.

The bans have thrown a spotlight on the controversial “doosra” delivery, which turns in the opposite direction to orthodox offspin but is delivered using the same wrist action.

Waqar suggested that the delivery could not be bowled legally and the ICC should amend their laws to accommodate it.

“When a bowler bowls a doosra, his elbow must bend beyond limits, that’s natural and I think a solution must be found.”

That’s despite the inventor of the delivery and Waqar’s former teammate, Saqlain Mushtag, insisting the delivery can be bowled legally.

“It can easily be delivered within the allowed rules,” Saqlain said last month. He has since been hired by the Pakistan Cricket Board to fix Ajmal’s action.

Waqar added that Hafeez, who is a major part of Pakistan’s limited overs teams, had been left scarred by the experience of being reported.

“I know they have reported him under a process but that is confidence-shattering for one of our key bowlers.”

The Pakistan Cricket Board is facing something of a chucking crisis at home, suspending 16 bowlers last week after 30 were reported for suspect actions.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...-after-world-cup/story-fndpt0dy-1227076220387

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
dumb comment form an experienced cricketer

are we supposed to let the cheats continue to cheat during the word cup ?

perfect timing for mine, get them out of the game

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The doosra is used by spinners to give them a fighting chance against batsmen with huge bats. The ICC is a joke, they allowed The Sri Lankan Chucker to do whatever he wanted and now that it's rife in the game they're banning it. They should have cracked down on it years ago.

The same goes for bats. The battle between bat and ball is skewed far too much in the batsmen's favour. As a result bowlers are pushing the rules to stay relevant. The ICC needed to bring in restrictions on bat thicknesses. There are rules for width and length already so it would have been no biggy. Of course Tendulkar was the first to play with these giant bats so nothing was going to be done.

I guarantee you that if an Indian bowler comes along who pegs them we won't hear boo.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
How is bat thickness unfair ?

They had heavier bats back about 30 or 40 years ago, now the wood is thicker but not as heavy as the old bats. I had an old bat given to me when I was a kid, by my uncle and it was like a telegraph pole.

Indian bats have their centre, or sweet spot lower than our bats because there is less bounce on the Indian pitches but that is a matter of horses fr courses.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
41mm is legally as thick as they can make them apparently, I doesn't stop bats coming through thicker than that though. At the shop last year we had one come through 45mm and only weighed 2'8.

20 years ago it would have been well over 4 pound.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It's all to do with kiln drying the willow. It takes the moisture out and allows you to go bigger with the edges without getting too heavy.

Latest posts