What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Only in America?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Why do Americans have those waste disposal units in their sinks? Do any other countries use them?

Anyone have one here in Australia?

redvscotty

First Grade
Yep, my mum still has one, think it's broken at the moment.

Great for prawn heads. None of that put them in the freezer shit and hope you remember them on bin day.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Anything you put down your sink gets discharged into the sea with the rest of the sewerage.

I think its a good thing that they are not that popular here.

Its not that hard to put your prawn heads in the bin.

redvscotty

First Grade
Who cares if prawn heads go into the sea? It's literally only good for food waste, most usually being stuff prawn heads and fruit peels, etc....

It's not like you put plastic in it...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of people care about the oceans and what goes into them.

Its not so much prawn heads but fruit and vegs peelings and what ever other foreign matter gets put in there that is not part of the natural ocean environment.

In the case of the OP, it gets used as landfill.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Hate those things. They're dangerous too - little kids might see them not knowing what they are and... well we all know what happens next.

LordLeague

Juniors
I grew up with an Insinkerator and those things can just about chew up anything. If you live in a big Aussie city what goes down your drain ends up at a waste water treatment plant. Most of the solid stuff is filtered out and composted to form fertiliser which is then trucked off to farmers. I reckon it's a better outcome than plastic bags full of old food going to landfill. Sorry for the boring reply:D I'll head back to the footy forums now!

LordLeague

Lambretta

First Grade
My mother in law used to have one
Unfortunately she was too big to fit in it

(joking, I love my mother in law - she rocks)

JoeD

First Grade
They are probably more green friendly than putting food waste in bin which goes to landfill. Much more efficient to put in down drain where it gets dealt with the same as your shit and toilet paper. The only issue is it uses more water which in Australia could be a problem. They are very common in NZ. I don't have one because I compost but for lots of people that's not an option.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They do put a greater load on your local treatment plant, albeit a small one but the main issue is adding the extra organic matter to the oceans where it becomes a foreign matter.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
For those with experience in the USA: do Americans call their country 'the states' on a regular basis?