What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andrew Gray

grouch

First Grade
So this bit of news was hidden away in the Morris & Merrin update the club released a week ago, but our Performance Director Andrew Gray has left the club, and was signed by the Cronulla Sharks to be their High Performance manager.

Andrew Gray had been the club's physio since 1999. He'd also, in that time, taken on temporary roles with the ARU, the English rugby union and even the Chelsea football club. Was also the NSW Origin physio for a number of years. He served as club physio for all of our coaches since 99, including Wayne Bennett - one of the few training staff to survive the cut when Bennett came in. Bennett left, taking the bulk of his staff with him, which was to include Andrew Gray. The club fought to keep him however, and in fact promoted him to High Performance manager - filling Jeremy Hickman's shoes, which is the role he's had since 2012.

I find it very curious that a highly credentialled, highly experienced and highly accomplished member of staff - in such a vitally important role - has "moved on". It makes me wonder why. Was it the head coach? We dont know.

As yet there has been no replacement named. I think we should be watching closely to see who the club chooses to fill this role.

possm

Coach
Didn't May work for Gray prior to Bennett arriving at the Dragons?

Reports were that there were a number of staff let go. I certainly hope it is not going to be a case of 'jobs for the boys'.

grouch

First Grade
Didn't May work for Gray prior to Bennett arriving at the Dragons?

Reports were that there were a number of staff let go. I certainly hope it is not going to be a case of 'jobs for the boys'.
He didnt work "for" him. Gray was the physio, Mary the Strength & Conditioning coach. Gray was retained when Bennett and Hickmans arrived, and Mary was dumped in favour of Scott Campbell for Strength & Conditioning. Campbell has also now left and has been replaced by Cherry Mescia

BradMackay

Juniors
mary is doing a stalin and getting rid of all those he thinks are not going to follow him. Most of the support staff have been let go Scott Campbell and Rob Leslie.

hewi

Bench
I'm not a fan of McGregor getting the coaches job, however what I did like is that it appears to me that he will start next season with his staff and squad. So, either there is a vast improvement or no excuses. I won't hold my breath for either.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I'm not a fan of McGregor getting the coaches job, however what I did like is that it appears to me that he will start next season with his staff and squad. So, either there is a vast improvement or no excuses. I won't hold my breath for either.

I'm not a fan of McGregor...........

Disagree that this was "hidden away".
Cherry Mescia was announced on the Dragons website a few days ago.
And Gray was reported as signed by the Sharks a few weeks back.
These guys move around, it's their profession, I don't see an issue with change after 10 plus years.
Just because people don't read the papers doesn't mean there's an agenda to hide it from everyone.
Jeebus.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
So this bit of news was hidden away in the Morris & Merrin update the club released a week ago, but our Performance Director Andrew Gray has left the club, and was signed by the Cronulla Sharks to be their High Performance manager.

Andrew Gray had been the club's physio since 1999. He'd also, in that time, taken on temporary roles with the ARU, the English rugby union and even the Chelsea football club. Was also the NSW Origin physio for a number of years. He served as club physio for all of our coaches since 99, including Wayne Bennett - one of the few training staff to survive the cut when Bennett came in. Bennett left, taking the bulk of his staff with him, which was to include Andrew Gray. The club fought to keep him however, and in fact promoted him to High Performance manager - filling Jeremy Hickman's shoes, which is the role he's had since 2012.

I find it very curious that a highly credentialled, highly experienced and highly accomplished member of staff - in such a vitally important role - has "moved on". It makes me wonder why. Was it the head coach? We dont know.

As yet there has been no replacement named. I think we should be watching closely to see who the club chooses to fill this role.

Keep up speedy.

grouch

First Grade
Disagree that this was "hidden away".
Cherry Mescia was announced on the Dragons website a few days ago.
And Gray was reported as signed by the Sharks a few weeks back.
These guys move around, it's their profession, I don't see an issue with change after 10 plus years.
Just because people don't read the papers doesn't mean there's an agenda to hide it from everyone.
Jeebus.
Gray's departure earned about 5 words in a long statement. For a bloke who had worked there for 15 years and would be familiar to most Dragons fans since he had something of a regular presence on the site when injuries hit, it seemed a bit hidden to me. Hence questioning the reasons for the departure.

I'm fine with change too, but it depends on who the new appointee is. If they can nab someone with the reputation, experience, and expertise as Gray I'd be impressed.
Keep up speedy.
It hasnt been discussed with any depth on this forum yet as far as I can tell. Take the Barbrady act elsewhere

Last edited:

Saintsified

Bench
I don't see why it's a problem for Mary to sack people he doesn't want there, if I were employed into some sort of managers position and there were people there prior to me who are probably pissed off I jumped over the top of them into becoming their boss, they would be gone as well. For this to work Mary needs to engage people who buy into this philosophy, it's quiet normal happens all the time, all the coaches do it.

Cagey Mac

Bench
:DIf Grouch didn't complain about it he wouldn't be Grouch.
(Waiting for complaint about using capital "G"

jenninga

First Grade
Cherry Mescia has a reputation for making sure players are fit,McGregor is making changes he sees fit.Apart from Bennett's era we have under achieved in the last 15 years so hopefully he has a plan in place so I don't have a problem if we are letting go someone who has been with us for 15 years.
I also don't have a problem if we don't make mass signings ,hopefully we can offload some deadwood and introduce some youngsters into first grade so we can reap some benefits in a couple of seasons.

rainman44

Bench
Cherry Mescia has a reputation for making sure players are fit,McGregor is making changes he sees fit.Apart from Bennett's era we have under achieved in the last 15 years so hopefully he has a plan in place so I don't have a problem if we are letting go someone who has been with us for 15 years.
I also don't have a problem if we don't make mass signings ,hopefully we can offload some deadwood and introduce some youngsters into first grade so we can reap some benefits in a couple of seasons.
This

Fingerbang

Bench
Where was all this whinging when Bennett sacked and recruited his own support staff? Nothing unusual in Mary's actions.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I have a feeling that maybe financial budget cuts in the coaching/support staff had a significant reason for Andrew Gray & others to move on. Sharks are desperate to turn around their performance area and bring in some professional expertise. I'm sure Gray was poached on bigger dollars than Dragons could sustain. If genuine cuts were to be made in the coaching staff, then Craig Young would and should be the first out the door. Also, if Steve Price is supposedly going to be assistant coach at the Sharks, then expect the others along with Gray to end up there as well.

watatank

Coach
Where was all this whinging when Bennett sacked and recruited his own support staff? Nothing unusual in Mary's actions.

Bennett has proven himself time and time again, Mary has not.

Anyway, don't know what to make of this until the replacement is brought in but we will find that out soon enough.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Gray's departure earned about 5 words in a long statement. For a bloke who had worked there for 15 years and would be familiar to most Dragons fans since he had something of a regular presence on the site when injuries hit, it seemed a bit hidden to me. Hence questioning the reasons for the departure.

I'm fine with change too, but it depends on who the new appointee is. If they can nab someone with the reputation, experience, and expertise as Gray I'd be impressed.

It hasnt been discussed with any depth on this forum yet as far as I can tell. Take the Barbrady act elsewhere

I thought you were the seeing eye? The fountain of knowledge? Just because it wasn't in BIG LETTERS in the Telegraph doesn't mean it didn't happen?
FTR.... Gray was promoted from physio to Strength and Conditioning Coach when Hickmans moved onto Newcastle with Bennett.
Perhaps his performance didn't meet KPI's over the last few years? Or do you want him to stay as well?
Changes are being made across the whole operation surely even some one as obtuse as yourself can see that? Or is that something else to whinge about?

_snafu_

Immortal
If his promotion to High Performance manager was in 2012, it coincides with the club's worst onfield performances. It is little wonder that he was asked to move on.

Latest posts