What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will The Ref's Blow South Sydney To A Premiership?

WaznTheGreat

Referee
The main reason penalities/refs have such an influence on games is because players can boot the ball down field 80 metres into touch,all penalities should be tapped where it was given,should never be allowed to kick into touch from a penalty.

Another set of 6 is prize enough from a penalty,don't let the shitheads boot it 80 metres down field into touch.That's so dumb,whoever came up with that rule should be shot.

It's a legit question...

No sook... South Sydney are rightfully premiership favourites and really should win baring a massive massive choke... Just hope the Referee's put that whistle away and allow the boys to play footy!

You beat the best "wrestling" team in the competition - Melbourne, only a couple of weeks ago. Down in Melbourne in an absolute spoil-a-thon.

Everyone knows how South's play. Everyone also knows the tactics the Dogs will employ to combat this.

You will absolutely walk the line in every tackle, soaking up every second you can to slow the ruck down. Chances are, so will we. At the end of the day, whether the ref blows a penalty or not will come down to how well those tactics are employed. Simple as that.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Correct. I've been saying that for 197 years HT.

We got dis bro

Anyone who think's it is alright to kick the ball down field 80 metres into touch from a penalty just because some fatso laid on top of a player for a millisecond too long is ass.

ouwet

Bench
The main reason penalities/refs have such an influence on games is because players can boot the ball down field 80 metres into touch,all penalities should be tapped where it was given,should never be allowed to kick into touch from a penalty.

Another set of 6 is prize enough from a penalty,don't let the shitheads boot it 80 metres down field into touch.That's so dumb,whoever came up with that rule should be shot.

Great post... I agree 100%.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
If its free flowing, Souths will lap them.

Canterbury's best chance is to have the refs effect the flow of it.

rabbitohs95

Bench
If a team plays grubby and use illegalities against the other then the refs should blow their whistles and vice versa. I'm hoping the refs aren't against blowing penalties because it's the Grand Final...

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach

Its a hangover from 1908 that has no place in todays game.

They should definitely change it and I think they will.

Bumble

First Grade
Why do people always assume that penalty counts should be even at the end of games? I've never understood this.

black cat

Juniors
i'm amazed this hasn't been brought up before. i haven't seen a team marched out of trouble as much as south's. we just sit and wait for it everytime their pinned in their own 20. i always had them smashing the roosters but the ref just marched them into the game and i don't expect anything to change this week.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Its a hangover from 1908 that has no place in todays game.

They should definitely change it and I think they will.

I hope they change it,imagine Parra get a 5th tackle penalty inside there own 10m whilst under the pump and than Hayne boots it into touch 80 metres down field and than 2 tackles later they score,all of a sudden the team who was on top finds themselves on there own try line just because of a little indiscretion,what are the chances Parra score if they had to tap from there own 10m line? Refs/penalities wouldn't have as much impact if dudes weren't allow to boot the ball into touch im sure of it.

LatK7

First Grade
Dumb OP is just dumb.

We have one of the largest forward packs in the comp and our starting hooker has probably the best running game of any hooker in the comp. Our entire game plan is based on getting a role up the middle followed by a quick play the ball and Isaac jumping out of dummy half.

As Wayne Bennett himself said earlier in the year when we trounced Newcastle, "Souths are a very predictable team, everyone knows what they are going to do. The problem is stopping them."

How do you stop a team who plays to our game plan? By laying all over the ruck and slowing the play the ball down. Everyone knows it. Every team tries it when they play us and that is the sole reason that we receive more penalties in that area than any other team... Because every other team is coached to slow the ruck against us.

Now, I'm not going to deny that we use similar tactics because we certainly do. Most of the good teams do use these ruck spoiling tactics from time to time. Certainly most if not all are trained in the theory around it. Not against every team, because some of the other teams have small forwards or terrible hookers and their ruck speed is naturally slow enough on its own. Fact is, when we do employ these spoiling tactics, we are better at it than most of the other teams in the competition.

It's a proven fact in the NRL of the past 10 years, that wrestling and slowing the ruck is a match winning tactic. It's also widely acknowledged by everyone who knows the game that wrestling is now a huge part of it and is coached at the top level.

Basically, the op is just having a sook because South's are better at a certain key element of the game than the dogs are and he / she / whatever it is, knows it.

No no no

It's obviously a conspiracy to have Souths win the comp. Don't you ever listen to Easts fans?

ouwet

Bench
i'm amazed this hasn't been brought up before. i haven't seen a team marched out of trouble as much as south's. we just sit and wait for it everytime their pinned in their own 20. i always had them smashing the roosters but the ref just marched them into the game and i don't expect anything to change this week.

Thank You! 100% correct... Every week it happens for South Sydney!

Thank You! 100% correct... Every week it happens for South Sydney!

I'm not even going to bother.... #-o

Lambretta

First Grade
All I can guarantee is that Sam Burgess will help drop the ball cold at least twice only to be gifted two penalties.

Its funny - SBW used to gain penalties almost every time he dropped the ball. It was all the more amazing as he played for the most penalised team in the comp. Sometimes who you are influences the referee imo.

If Sam wins a penalty, his talent probably earned it.

Lambretta

First Grade
Dumb OP is just dumb.

We have one of the largest forward packs in the comp and our starting hooker has probably the best running game of any hooker in the comp. Our entire game plan is based on getting a role up the middle followed by a quick play the ball and Isaac jumping out of dummy half.

As Wayne Bennett himself said earlier in the year when we trounced Newcastle, "Souths are a very predictable team, everyone knows what they are going to do. The problem is stopping them."

How do you stop a team who plays to our game plan? By laying all over the ruck and slowing the play the ball down. Everyone knows it. Every team tries it when they play us and that is the sole reason that we receive more penalties in that area than any other team... Because every other team is coached to slow the ruck against us.

I agree 100% - what I don't understand is why penalties aren't blown for the opposition when you do the same

Its subjective. But the thing people seem to forget is that Souths copped the sharp end of the referees stick for f**king years because they were shit. If they were winning the ruck they were penalised because they couldn't be winning the ruck as they were shit. If they were held down for ages, its because they were shit and allowed themselves to be beaten. It cost them games.

Welcome to subjective refereeing.

Its your turn to shine now. Enjoy it while you can. You have earned it imo.

I agree 100% - what I don't understand is why penalties aren't blown for the opposition when you do the same

Its subjective. But the thing people seem to forget is that Souths copped the sharp end of the referees stick for f**king years because they were shit. If they were winning the ruck they were penalised because they couldn't be winning the ruck as they were shit. If they were held down for ages, its because they were shit and allowed themselves to be beaten. It cost them games.

Welcome to subjective refereeing.

Its your turn to shine now. Enjoy it while you can. You have earned it imo.

Honestly... I think it comes down to the way we leave the ruck. We seem to do it in a more structured way, more consistently than anyone else.

If you watch the way we defend, you will see that on most occasions, we have at least two but usually three in the tackle by the end of the tackle. We are very, very good at having the tackle end so that the three tacklers are stacked one on top of the other like pancakes.

Because of this, when the ref calls for movement, once the tackle is completed we are usually always set up so that only one tackler can leave the ruck at a time. Of course, this means it takes an age for the final tackler to get off but imo the ref is inclined not to blow a penalty because he can see that the tackler on the bottom of the stack can't really go anywhere.

We aren't the only club to do this, of course, but imo we are the best at it. Particularly when a half break is made and we scramble back in defence. The first guy in usually always manages to stall and hold the breakaway player up until a second or third man can make the ruck. Then they always manage to get tangled together in an orderly fashion.

On the flip side, the likes of the Burgess boys are very good at disrupting a stack and ensuring that when they are tackled, they don't allow players to pile on in this manner. For example, opposition players have it drilled into them that Souths score a heap of tries, the play after George Burgess is tackled so they are always trying desperately to get numbers in so they can control him / slow him down. If he can disrupt the order that the tacklers try to impose and they are seen by the ref to not be moving out of the ruck when they quite clearly can and should be doing so, then we get a penalty.

Sleep

Juniors
In regards to the first question. Absolutely. When the Bulldogs get towelled up this weekend it will all be 100% on the back of the refs who are clearly already in on it hence such short odds for the Rabbitohs.

:roll:

ram raid

Bench
This game will be like an MMA match, where the winner dry-humps the other into submission.

Latest posts