What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The hype meter rating in Sydney for the 2014 GF

Brutus

Referee
Just put the hype meter out in Double Bay and got a 2.5 rating.

This hype meter is shit. I'm taking it back.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Even non-footy types are talking about the GF at my work, pretty god hype imo. An absolute tonne of cars with flags going about the coast and sydney and every other person seems to have a bunnies or bulldogs jersey on. Both clubs must have shifted a huge amount of merchandise this past week!

Flapper

First Grade
The days of the casual neutral fan getting excited about the grand final are long gone. Ticket prices mean only fans of each club go these days, and with how frustrating the NRL is to watch with what referees have done to it most can only stomach watching their own side play, so picking a 2nd team once you side is out doesn't happen anymore.

It rates just because it's an event. The emotion of it is long gone if your team isn't involved IMO.

Only game that could get a neutral excited would be a Cinderella story, like the Cowboys or better still the sharks making it to the GF

Poppycock. I've never watched more footy in my life. If merkins are too butthurt to invest themselves beyond what I assume is an underwhelming amount of energy into their own team I suspect Rugby League isn't the game for them. Which is why I, as a Rugby League fan am f**king stoked for the GF, as I am every year even when the teams are epic shit merkins like Manly and the Roosters.

The chatter has been pretty large when I've been out and about, certainly a lot more people talking than last year.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The ozzie rules GF was such a fizzer that many in Melbourne are longing for a better contest from the NRL.

There is also a strong appreciation for the romance of Souths and the length of time between drinks for them.

Should be strong ratings figures down south.

macavity

Referee
The days of the casual neutral fan getting excited about the grand final are long gone. Ticket prices mean only fans of each club go these days, and with how frustrating the NRL is to watch with what referees have done to it most can only stomach watching their own side play, so picking a 2nd team once you side is out doesn't happen anymore.

It rates just because it's an event. The emotion of it is long gone if your team isn't involved IMO.

Only game that could get a neutral excited would be a Cinderella story, like the Cowboys or better still the sharks making it to the GF

Agreed.

The uneven playing field of the modern era has turned me and many I know off. I don't expect the fans of the favoured clubs to even acknowledge this. The poaching of Newcastle's best junior in 20 years by one of the GF-ists in GF week demonstrates this perfectly.

I have gone from footy fanatic to not one bit interested in the grand final.

Fiddy

Juniors
Hype for this Grand final is fairly big from what i have seen. Taking my obvious loyalty to my club aside i think people are digging it this year from a neutral stand point. I will echo other people in this thread lot of people i know who don't really follow league that much outside of the odd State of Origin/Grand final all have went out and bought some kind of merch be it flags.. jerseys.. scarfs (No idea why in this weather!) and been wearing it around.

By the way i honestly think people are overstating it a bit. I bet if you go back to previous years threads you have people saying similar stuff.. most years once the team you follow is out it's hard to keep interest.. why would you.. even with a love of the game that we all share

Went into town and saw heaps of souffs shirts and hats. Especially in bunnings for some. As if those merkins have a house. Only one bloke in a dogs jumper. Most of the blackfellas in town have already gone to Raymond terrace so there would have been even more souffs fans around otherwise. They must be very conflicted actually.

sretsoor

Juniors
Being in Brisbane the only hype Ive seen is via media otherwise very quiet. You'd be forgiven for thinking souths had won it already or that the dogs are even playing as there is barely anything dogs related.

BranVan3000

Coach
Saw a bunch of Rabbitohs jerseys at North Sydney yesterday being worn to work, wasn't expecting to see it

BranVan3000

Coach
Was it the fact they had jobs to go to that threw you? :sarcasm:
Not really considering South's fans are the wealthiest in the competition :cool:

nn-620x349.jpg

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-wish-list-20130914-2trox.html#ixzz2ex0I8oLb