What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Merritt

Wizardman

First Grade
I've heard that he is at a indigenous footy carnival. Sounds like a pretty massive tanty from someone who should have paid some respect to the club's big day.

eozsmiles

Bench
Sounds a bit odd. You'd think Souths would have encouraged him to attend the GF and the fan day. Being a popular member of the squad for so long, he deserved it. Bit of a shame if a rift has got in the way.

But if he has put a prior commitment to the KO comp first, then that has to be respected.

Merritt spent 80% of his career complaining how he didn't get a chance in origin.. He got one, it ruined his confidence and he lost his spot in a grand final winning team. Ouch

For a long time he was regarded as origin standard but never got the chance to play it. When he got found out, the people who thought he was at that standard went quiet. He's a solid first grader in my opinion, but in this day and age wingers are becoming more important, and need to bring more to the table than what Merritt brings.

kbw

Bench
A RL player that worked very hard to go from the worst player ever to an average first grader.
He was dropped because Maguire knew he really wasn't that great.

Playing origin I felt for the guy because he embarrassed himself and many others

MrAnonymous

Bench
Possibly the worst defensive player ever to play first grade. One of the best at running 1m and falling over the line. Should of been there to show respect to Souths for carrying his plodness for years.

Bumble

First Grade
I'm curious what the geniuses on here think was happening when Merritt was scoring 20 tries a season for some of the worst teams of all time.

Say the sentence "Anyone could have scored tries on the end of a Brad Watts/Owen Craigie/Shannon Hegarty backline" with a straight face. F**king idiots.

BadSport

Juniors
Looked like he packed a few kilos on at the end, he had a real bargearse, don't think he would've had to slow down much to lose effectiveness as a finisher.

Pity he didn't dig in and fight back. Who knows maybe his injuries are worse than made out.

Or to be fair to him his game is speed and at past 30 his time was up.

Liddell

Juniors
I'm curious what the geniuses on here think was happening when Merritt was scoring 20 tries a season for some of the worst teams of all time.

Say the sentence "Anyone could have scored tries on the end of a Brad Watts/Owen Craigie/Shannon Hegarty backline" with a straight face. F**king idiots.

if "anyone could do it", we'd have a pretty long list of players with 100+ careers tries.

Anyway, his positional play in attack was his best trait. He just knew where to be everytime. He probably would've made a better fist of origin had he been picked in 2011, but even then, he probably didn't have the complete game for it.

Certainly not as good as some of our fans used to make out, but a pretty handy career to look back on.

Galeforce

Bench
The knockers love to knock .
Merritt was a great winger , whose strength was speed , balance and good hands.He was never a POWER winger.
He lost speed which started to become noticeable last year and once this happened his general play was average.

typicalfan

Coach
Dropping Merritt was a big factor in winning the title. Maguire gave him the opportunity to break thr long standing Bunnies record and then moved him on for Alex Johnston. How many tries did Alex then score? 21?

The best managers make the tough decisions and Maguire proved his worth there.He was an average winger, yes he scored a lot of tries but so did Offiah and he was average too.

Juju

Juniors
He must of had some real emotional turmoil going on to not attend the GF.
That added quite a sad note to the Bunnies win I thought.

Could a club staff member not drive and collect him, insist that he comes….