What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwi selector Richie Barnett's take on the Four Nations withdrawals

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Found Trent Robinson's quotes a little more interesting where he pretty much admitted that they withdrew so they could be fresh for the Roosters in round 1.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
I find a lot of contradiction in Rugby League. We have League people on one hand who wonder why the game loses its stars to play Union but then bag the Internationals and question their validity. Then you have the media who also bag the validity and worth of Internationals and the RLWC yet its in their best interest to promote the game to increase its appeal and attract more viewers not run it down at any possible chance. Kudos though to Ch9 Brisbane who have run stories about the 4 nations and have throughout the year run stories on the local QCup.

I work in Rugby League and I am constantly baffled by the lack of vision and the lack of wanting to develop the game yet if the game grows so does the chance to add revenue to their clubs. Its so frustrating when people who can do something about this sit on their hands and do nothing about it. We all know the game could reach amazing heights but this potential is constantly impeded by personal agenda and a blinkered approach.

goodplayer

Juniors
what about the people who run or owners of nrl clubs

would you let your best players go and risk themselves

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
Spot on there from Ritchie. At the end of the day RTS is only really hurting his own future chances by not playing. Let's say Hiku plays the house down and the Kiwis win the Four Nations you can pretty much book him in for next years Trans-Tasman test as well. Must say though I'm sure if they played for a coach like Wayne Bennett, Mal Meninga, Laurie Daley I doubt anyone would've dropped out, not only do players not have the same pride in the jersey but they don't have as much respect for their coach.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Kudos to James Hooper who last night on The Back Page talked up the 4 Nations contrary to Crash Craddock's dribble about the tournament being flat.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Spot on there from Ritchie. At the end of the day RTS is only really hurting his own future chances by not playing. Let's say Hiku plays the house down and the Kiwis win the Four Nations you can pretty much book him in for next years Trans-Tasman test as well.

and thats what the coaching staff need to ensure. you need to earn the jersey and respect it enough to realise thta if you opt out of playing, you may never get it back. some players though dont have that fear cos they know they have talent and they'll get picked regardless of what theyve done previously.

i still remember when ryles was picked the first time and their was doubt over the tour he said he'd play in afghanistan

roughyedspud

Coach
what about the people who run or owners of nrl clubs

would you let your best players go and risk themselves

its upto the player to decide if they'd like to be considered for internationals...not the clubs or their owners...

if players don't want to play internationals...RETIRE FROM INTERNATIONAL RL...simple...jamie lyon did it at a staggeringly early age!

MKEB...

Staff member
its upto the player to decide if they'd like to be considered for internationals...not the clubs or their owners...

if players don't want to play internationals...RETIRE FROM INTERNATIONAL RL...simple...jamie lyon did it at a staggeringly early age!

I concur with you completely.