What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Premiership winning coaches in both hemispheres

rabbitohs95

Bench
Arguing with my mate who is a Roosters tragic about who is the better coach between Robinson and Maguire.

Of course before we won the premiership this year he'd always say that Robinson was a premiership winning coach, but now that Maguire is one too i remembered; he won a comp with Wigan in 2010.

This brings up my question of; who are the other coaches who have won a competition in both hemispheres?

RWB

Bench
How they go about losing their star forwards will tell the tale.

Will be part of the tale. Both are still babies in the game.

Interesting none the less, one has gone out and purchased talent in Stewart & Grant the other seems content with promoting talent in house.

BunniesMan

Immortal
In what way?

He was given a premiership winning squad. Maguire built a premiership winning squad. He inherited a woeful backline. 5 of our back 7 made their debut under him.

Robinson is a top coach and a top bloke but Maguire needed to take us further than Robinson needed to take Easts.

RWB

Bench
He was given a premiership winning squad. Maguire built a premiership winning squad. He inherited a woeful backline. 5 of our back 7 made their debut under him.

Robinson is a top coach and a top bloke but Maguire needed to take us further than Robinson needed to take Easts.

Even if you believe that to be true that's just the set of circumstances under which they won their premierships, doesn't prove one way or the other who is the better coach. You can only coach what is in front of you.

Although I fear that basic logic is probably wasted on you.

slammingsam

Juniors
This is regular season victories since Madge took over in 2012,

1 Souths - 49 wins
2 Manly - 47 wins
3 Melbourne - 47 wins
4 Canterbury - 44 wins
5 Sydney Roosters - 42 wins
6 North Queensland - 41 wins
7 Penrith - 34 wins
8 Brisbane - 34 wins
9 Newcastle - 32 wins
10 New Zealand - 31 wins
11 Canberra - 31 wins
12 Cronulla - 31 wins
13 Gold Coast Titans - 30 wins
14 St George Illawarra - 29 wins
15 Wests Tigers - 28 wins
16 Parramatta - 23 wins

ram raid

Bench
I'm not sold on Robinson yet. If he can ply his trade at a club that isn't 2 million over the salary cup I'll be a believer.

RWB

Bench
Robinson also has back to back minor premierships to his name, not a feat that's often celebrated in Australia much but a pretty fair effort to have your side winning on such a consistent basis that you're taking out back to back minor premierships.

I still maintain 2-3 years is a ridiculously small period of time to compare the 2 though.

Easily Macguire.

The only reason we won last year was the news of Remi Casty signing and the only reason we got to the preliminary this year, was through Remi's brilliant tactics.

Because Remi is gone, we will get the spoon.

BunniesMan

Immortal
This is regular season victories since Madge took over in 2012,

1 Souths - 49 wins
2 Manly - 47 wins
3 Melbourne - 47 wins
4 Canterbury - 44 wins
5 Sydney Roosters - 42 wins
6 North Queensland - 41 wins
7 Penrith - 34 wins
8 Brisbane - 34 wins
9 Newcastle - 32 wins
10 New Zealand - 31 wins
11 Canberra - 31 wins
12 Cronulla - 31 wins
13 Gold Coast Titans - 30 wins
14 St George Illawarra - 29 wins
15 Wests Tigers - 28 wins
16 Parramatta - 23 wins
Wow had no idea this was the case. Would have thought Manly and Easts were ahead of us. Awesome.

Robinson also has back to back minor premierships to his name, not a feat that's often celebrated in Australia much but a pretty fair effort to have your side winning on such a consistent basis that you're taking out back to back minor premierships.

I still maintain 2-3 years is a ridiculously small period of time to compare the 2 though.
Either way they are among the very best and show what happens when smart clubs bring in fresh blood. Meanwhile dumb clubs keep prolonging the corpse of Ricky Stuart's career.

kbw

Bench
Anyone that can turn John Sutton from an absolute basket case of a footballer into a poor footballer is a pretty good coach in anyones books.

Valheru

Coach

You do realise we finished 13th and 11th the 2 years prior to when Robbo took over?

Valheru

Coach
What etc? We had every other player unless you are claiming those 3 players are solely responsible for our success?