What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the most over-rated player in the NRL?

Dave_

Juniors
Josh Mansour
Trent Plodkinson
Josh Reynolds
Ben Hunt
Jamie Lyon
Sam Thaiday
James Tamou
Michael Jennings
Wobbie Fawah
Frank Pritchard
David Klemmer
SKD
Jarrod Croker

Most of these players are either past it or never really had it and only fans of their clubs can defend them.

Last edited:

Blues Riff

Bench
Josh Mansour
Trent Plodkinson
Josh Reynolds
Ben Hunt
Jamie Lyon
Sam Thaiday
James Tamou
Michael Jennings
Wobbie Fawah
Frank Pritchard
David Klemmer
SKD
Jarrod Croker

Most of these players are either past it or never really had it and only fans of their clubs can defend them.

:lol: A team that would put 30+ on the Knights.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Cam Smith is easily the most overrated player in the history of the game.

Brilliant player but he's rated as one of the greatest of all time and I don't understand why.

Keep watching league, one day you will appreciate how awesome Smith is.

Definitely best 9 in history and easily one of the greats.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Smith is quality - but he's always been surrounded by other very good players in club and rep games. I'd still place Steve Walters ahead of him IMO. People forget how good he was.

I'm amused people knock Jamie Lyon and say he's over rated.
Anyone with half a clue would want his like playing for their team in a heartbeat.

POPEYE

Coach
Smith is the greatest #9 in the history of the game by far, even though Walters was surrounded by bums

Jamie Lyon has been the best centre in the game since before he left the Eels and still is when it matters

Then again we know the qualifications of the players but not the people rating them, especially in a forum, so like everyone else my opinion is almost f**king null and void

mt.wellington

Juniors
Brisbane Broncos - Justin Hodges - Largely over-rated by himself. Excellent centre when he's actually feeding his winger but has a tendency to be greedy. Suffers delusions of grandeur thinking he can play fullback, halfback or 5/8 while being the captain and player coach. Cant wait for Bennett to put him in his place.

Canberra Raiders - Terry Campese - Finally the Raiders have seen the light. Best thing Sticky has done since he left NSW, Eels and the Australian coaching roles. How he has manged to be the Raiders main pivot is anyones guess?

Canterbury Bulldogs - Tony Williams - BFN who is one of the laziest players I have ever seen. Will shy away from the grunt work up the middle on defence and even when he does stand there he's an alleyway to the tryline. You'll find him most games hiding out on the wing. How he is getting top dollar as he is is mind boggling.

Cronulla Sharks - Paul Gallen - Has a freakish motor but completely overplays his hand. Pads his metre stats with a high run rate. Is constantly overcalling his halves and stifling the Sharks attack. You know when the Shark are 10 metres from the line old Gallen will be trying his greedy best to ram his way over with 3 hit ups in that set.

Gold Coast Titans - Dave Taylor - Another T Rex. Overpaid BFN. Has the ability to be one of the most damaging players in the comp but goes missing far more often then he shows up.

Manly Sea Eagles - Daly Cherry Evans - Great player in the Manly environment but fades out with a whimper on the bigger representative stage. Was outclassed by halves partner Foran last week and was shown how to actually do it by Shaun Johnson. Dont even get me started on his Origin form.

Melbourne Storm - Craig Bellamy - Not a player I know but not a Supercoach either. He knows this too which is why he'll go out to pasture when the big 3 retire. Cant coach without them. His NSW record proves that.

Newcastle Knights - Akuila Uate - How he has managed to get Origin selection as well as win Dally M Winger of the Year is anyones guess? Worse defender then Wolfman and has worse hands than Manu Vatuvei. Looks to be on the way out with the Mata'utia boys taking over.

New Zealand Warriors - Feleti Mateo - Feel sorry for Manly who have paid overs for him. People get caught up in his offload ability but he hasnt been successful at that since 2011. Can be great on attack but couldnt defend to save his life.

North Queensland Cowboys - James Tamou - Since his stunning 2012 season Aussie Jim has steadily been on the decline. Hasnt been playing to his potential for the Cowboys and was picked for representative duty on reputation not form. Thats what happens when you play for money not pride.

Parramatta Eels - Chris Sandow - Fat chubby has always been over-rated even while at the Rabbitohs. Can only play well when playing defensively weak teams but doesnt know how to grind out games with high percentage plays. Couldnt tackle a sudoku puzzle with only one number left.

Penrith Panthers - Jamie Soward - Had a phenomenal back end of the season but people forget he was AWOL until Peter Wallace got injured. Unless his ego gets stroked he'll fall into depression and a long form slump with it. Hope the Panthers have his successor lined up.

St George Illawarra Dragons - Benji Marshall - Been over rated for years. Even over-rated himself until his miserable Rugby foray failed spectacularly. Still a good foil for a true halfback but his Benji Magic days are very well behind him.

South Sydney Rabbitohs - Isaac Luke - Great player but Apisai Koroisau is just as effective and probably for half the price. Rabbitohs did well enough while he was injured and still won the GF without him.

West Tigers - Robbie Farah - Good player but isnt as he thinks better then Cameron Smith. Not even close. Over-rated by himself. Played terribly against the Kiwis with one of the worst deliveries from rake I have ever seen...

aqua_duck

Coach
Docker reminds me of Joel Edwards, great technique in defence but that's about it, below average all round athlete and very limited in attack

Bronco18

Juniors
Brisbane Broncos - Justin Hodges - Largely over-rated by himself. Excellent centre when he's actually feeding his winger but has a tendency to be greedy. Suffers delusions of grandeur thinking he can play fullback, halfback or 5/8 while being the captain and player coach. Cant wait for Bennett to put him in his place.

I'm surprised the Hodges can't pass myth is still circulating, even after we played our best footy this year when he was in a playmaking role. Yes he's past his best and runs needlessly from dummy half but he has a sweet passing game when he needs to utilise it.

Also placing Soward on this list after he and Segeyaro carried a team of no name Panthers into the Semis shows you have preconceived notions of players...

God-King Dean

Immortal
So I'm not the only one who sees it. I still hate how the media blow their load over a guy who fell over the line 15 times this year. He may well turn out to be a very good player, but Daniel fitzhenry would have scored the tries Johnson did this year.

Johnson does have a certain Nathan Merritt vibe about him.

Apey

Staff member
Newcastle Knights - Akuila Uate - How he has managed to get Origin selection as well as win Dally M Winger of the Year is anyones guess? Worse defender then Wolfman and has worse hands than Manu Vatuvei. Looks to be on the way out with the Mata'utia boys taking over.

Uhh I think you're a bit behind on this one. He was Dally M Winger of the year and in Origin because he was (keyword) an absolute beast.

Nobody really rates him any more. He's a fatty.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Cam Smith is easily the most overrated player in the history of the game.

Brilliant player but he's rated as one of the greatest of all time and I don't understand why.

I hate the Storm as much as the next guy, actually no much more than the next guy...but I think the fanfare around Cam Smith alludes to the fact that he is probably the most consistent footballer I can think of. In fact I've never seen a more consistent footballer. Grub, yes. But you know what you're going to get, and you're going to get it every weekend.

It also appeals to me that a not that well built, balding, hairy white fella can still achieve a lot in our game. The Adonises haven't taken over completely yet.

I'd go DCE. Flat track bully.

Frankus

Juniors
Sione Mata'utia - a promising talent. But has just been named on the wing for Australia ahead of Daniel Tupou and Alex Johnston after only 7 games.

He hasnt earned this spot IMO.I just hope he lives up to expectations or Australia are gone.

The game will not be won on the wing.

Stranga

Juniors
Greg Bird and Sam Thaiday.

Great at SOO time but week to week these two have been plod for years now.

bedlam breakout

Juniors
greg bird and ryan Hoffman were less than ordinary in sl a few years back, but pearce cronk dce Cameron smith and that big pudding jamal idris make it in my list, remember when Bradley clyde came to leeds, total waste of money, 2nd rate garbage playing on hype.

Latest posts